Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'02 Wakesetter...What Should I do?

jblyth

All-

Hoping you guys can help me out...I have an '02 Wakesetter w/ about 750 hours on it. I had to replace the engine after about 400 hours (freak cold spell in New England for a week a few years back). Other then that the boat runs great. I've never had any issues and its always been serviced (Im the only owner).

Cosmetically the boat is in OK condition...I bought it when I was in my 20s and have "really enjoyed it" :biggrin: !! The largest thing is that the vinyl needs to replaced. There are a couple tears and one of the front cushions has a significant stain. In addition there are some other little things, but nothing major that can't be fixed or replaced if needed.

My goal is to sell the boat, so I can move into a newer model this spring/summer. Do you think it will be a quick sell if I leave it "as is" with a lower price point or fix some of the cosmetic issues and increase the asking price?

Am I crazy to think I could get around $13k "as is" or $17k if I make the repairs?

I tried to include a pic, but it was really large...any way to scale it down?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Jon

I would fix everything - I sold my 2002 23xti in august for $24k - It had almost 1200hrs on it - I replaced about half the vinyl so the inside looked new - I would think you can get low 20's for yours if you spruce it up.

I'd fix it, when I was boat shopping if I came across a boat that needed a ton of work Id pass even if it was a good deal. I had the notion that if they didn't take care of the inside how did they treat the motor etc.

Always fix cosmetic issues before selling anything. Too many buyers will be turned off to the point of lowballing you or simply walking away if it doesn't show well.

• Like 2

People, myself included, will make assumptions about how you maintained the boat by the appearacne. If you are showing slight damage (buffable) and some interioro neglect (could just be wear) then a lot of people will just walk away thinking that you did not maintain the motor. As others have stated get it in great shape both the gel coat and the vynal befor selling. It will make it sell faster and for a higher amount, Also dring the winter youmay be able to get some discounts on the work as most boats will be wrapped and stored for the winter. You need to have it ready to sell by early spring, that is when most people get serious about boat shopping.

Am I crazy to think I could get around $13k "as is" or $17k if I make the repairs?

Without any pics and detailed info, if it is a DD that sounds reasonable. If it is a V-drive, you are giving the boat away.

I paid $12k for a cosmetically trashed 2002 vlx wakesetter in April 2013. I had to replace about 50% of the vinyl and have about $18k now in a nice boat. Previous owner left it outside for a year with no cover and the axle was broken. It sat for sale for 5 months till he came down enough for me to get it. He started out at $21k and was down to $18k when I offered him $12k.

For the most part People run from boats that have the look of not being maintained because most people don't work on boats. I've seen similiar boats to mine in the mid $20k range. This is in great shape with some mods.

Hope that helps.