Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Truck Help

mrnate450r

I really like my 2012 Tundra with the 5.7. It pulls my boat and travel trailer in the Oregon Mountains with no issues. I have no idea what the new 2014 interiors look like.

15 MPG all round everyday driving

19 MPG Freeway

9 MPG Pulling

I have a couple buddies with the Chevy 6.2, 4x4, CC and they get

12 MPG all round everyday driving

17 MPG Freeway

8 MPG Pulling

All of them are nice trucks

The newer 5.3's pull way better then the older ones and get better gas mileage, changing to the 6 speed transmission helps and they are getting more HP out of them. I traded my 03 avalanche on a 13 silverado with the 5.3 in both trucks. Not apples to apples but i get a little over 15 around town, 21 highway and about 11 towing and it pulls way stronger than my Avy.

• Like 2

I've seen those videos. They also have a 5.3 vs 6.2 vs Titan one that they pull a Tige 22ve. The 5.3 they use has the 3.08 gears and was 4 seconds slower to 60 kph than the 6.2 with 3.73 gears. They say the Tige weighs 5740 lbs. I would venture to guess that the 5.3 with 3.73 gears would be at least 2 seconds closer to the 6.2. I wish they would do a test that wasn't at altitude. The ecoboost will win that contest every time.

450-

My boat weighs 8500 on the trailer. I have a 5.7 Tundra, I'm looking into 3/4t diesels now.

These are the only 1/2tons you should be considering to tow comfortably 65-70mph over reasonable interstate in the 8k lb range:

Tundra with 5.7L

Ford with the Eco or 6.2L

Chevy 6.2L

And by reasonable I don't mean MPGs, you'll see 6-9mpg towing that weight from all of them. By reasonable means it can maintain 70mph on reasonable interstate and overpasses without excessive downshifting or gear hunting. Mostly flat interstate- no downshifting to maintain speed.

In all reality you are right at the limit of what a 1/2ton can do safely. Not just pulling, but stopping. Also be advised "dry" weights don't mean a whole lot, so your boat may actually weigh more once you get it loaded up.

The quality of a 1/2t really matters here.... Not just for pulling, but in suspension and stopping a load nearly twice as heavy as the truck.... On wet summer oil slicked roads as you tow home from the lake with your family after a thunderstorm.

Out of these listed above, only 1/2t gasses considered.... It'd be another Tundra or the Ford Eco... If the dealer let me demo an Eco with my boat in tow. That max tq at 2000rpms... That's 70mph... That's awesome, less downshifting, lower RPMs at highways speeds. 2015 F150 looks Boss!!!

All other V8s don't hit max hp/tq till 4500 RPMs when the engines are about to explode.

Did you mention to the company that with the current price of diesel vs the mpg difference diesel is still cheaper? Just a thought.

also the problem with the eco boost is that it is still a v6 with power adders on it and every other option is a v8. It is very capable I just don't personally subscribe to the idea of a v6 in a truck.

Edited by UofMVLX

I just don't personally subscribe to the idea of a v6 in a truck.

Agreed! "There ain't no replacement for displacement."

+1, the Ecoboost has got my attention and it may even be my next truck just due to the numbers on paper, but I am having a hard time even thinking about a V6 engine AND it being an upcharge over the V8.

I am going to start driving some next month. The Sierra with the 6.2 and the ecoboost are both on my short list. I need to go look at the new Tundra. My brother has a 2012, and I just don't like the interior at all. I'm a Toyota guy too. I've owned more Toyotas in my life than any other.

Who cares how many cylinders as long as it tows well? Shoot if they can figure out a way for all electric and it tows well....

For the EcoBoost guys, when pulling long grades or mountain passes, how much boost are you pushing and for how long?

Edited by shawndoggy

I get $ off on ford's so I offered to get a truck for my ski partner. He has been a G.M. guy all his life. I was talking to him just last week and asked how he likes his F-150 EcoBoost after over a year of ownership. Hi reply plane and simple, Its the best vehicle I have ever owned. Evin better ride and comfort then my cars. His cars have been Buick's as long as I have been around. So not bad cars. He does use his truck for his business and pulls heavy loads. and he went with 3:31 or 3:15 Axle. I admit I tried talking him into the 3:55 just knowing some of the loads he does pull. Its all working for him I think he said he is coming up on 80,000 miles. I just got him another HD F-350 for his work truck for the shop. His words I will never own another brand of truck again.

Part of his reason is also G.M.s government money. but the bottom line is he loves his Ford. You will be seeing more EcoBoost power plants in the fetcher from Ford.

So with that logic do you live in a card board box and why have one of the nicest boat interiors on the market in your choice of boats

With that logic do I camp, fish, hunt, sleep, ski, snowmobile, hike, shoot, dirtbike and roadtrip for 30 hours out of my boat?

If I had to buy another 1/2t it'd be anther Tundra or an Eco.... Just still a little leary of reliability issues on the Eco, recalls etc. they gotta prove they are 300k miles capable without issues. that 22mpg unloaded is super attractive.

If I had to buy another 1/2t it'd be anther Tundra or an Eco.... Just still a little leary of reliability issues on the Eco, recalls etc. they gotta prove they are 300k miles capable without issues. that 22mpg unloaded is super attractive.

I'd guess less than 5% of people who buy a new truck drive it for 300k.

• Like 3

Ecoboost F150, you will love it! Somewhat biased, but with a large family we also own GMC, Honda, JEEP, and Toyota. I had a bad experience with a 2008 Chevy 5.3 and don't want a tow vehicle that goes from 8 to 4 cyls again.

Did you have an issue with the cylinder deactivation?

I've never had mine go into that 4 cyl. mode while using the Tow \ Haul mode

I have some friends who've smoked cams in the GM with the 5.3 and cylinder deactivation. One guy had it happen on 2 of them.

On the ecoboost, you need to be cautious of the advertised fuel economy. It's different depending on how it's equipped.

• Like 1

I have some friends who've smoked cams in the GM with the 5.3 and cylinder deactivation. One guy had it happen on 2 of them.

On the ecoboost, you need to be cautious of the advertised fuel economy. It's different depending on how it's equipped.

Now that you mention it, my brother smoked a cam on his '09 5.3.

Yes, After 3 times going into the engine for cam/lifters repair I traded it off, under 60k miles. Mine would deactivate even tow haul mode; the service mgr told me my frequent towing likely contributed to the problem, although there was no technical bulletins out.