Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

removing malibu badge from glove box door

svnfightsvn

As stated in another thread, I'm trying to remove all the chrome pieces in my boat that have started pitting so I can have them blasted and powder coated.

One of these pieces is the Malibu badge on the glove box door. However I can't seem to get it off. I can take the glove box door off, but there is a separate piece of plastic/hdpe between the back of the glove box door and interior of the glove box. The bolts to get this badge off sit in between the exterior glove box and this plastic piece. I was hoping I could take it out easily, but I can't seem to get it. Looking at the bottom of the glove box door, I see a bunch of rivets in the hinge. Do these rivets go into that plastic piece? Do I have to drill out the rivets to get that plastic piece off so I can then take the emblem off?

B8E393C7-1C1B-4D8C-9CBA-F9DC5F3CC926_zps

D3409CD2-2E98-4A70-B61F-78FE864E6139_zps

I think I just had to pull off the key assembly and the backing popped right out. I have an 05 so i'm not sure if they changed anything between the years. I know I didn't have to drill anything out.

I think I just had to pull off the key assembly and the backing popped right out. I have an 05 so i'm not sure if they changed anything between the years. I know I didn't have to drill anything out.

I pulled off the key/lock assembly and the panel still wouldn't pop out...I could maybe lift it up an inch or so. not enough to get at the nuts holding on the emblem

Thought mine was glued on. 2009 vlx. Think it keep falling off when it really got hot out.

Glued? seems strange that Malibu would glue this piece in...can anyone verify?

Ok so I thought I'd update everyone on this.

My plastic piece was definitely riveted on...no tape or glue.

I tried a heat gun, but it couldn't get it to come off. Out of curiousity, I cut off one of the rivets and found that the plastic piece separated a bit more from the glove box door. So I cut them all off with a dremel. I now have the plastic piece off and got the emblem off.

Now I hvae to figure out how to get the plastic piece back on. Anyone have any ideas on that? Most of the rivets are still stuck in the plastic. I guess I could try to carefully drill them out. Maybe replace with screws? I need to replace with more rivets or screws or something because thats how the glove box door hinge is attached

77FA57BF-AD15-4605-BCCB-3F5B52CC5A6E_zps

32009B12-25B8-4FE8-9743-45B4C719D032_zps

9BBD2AB2-23FB-4ECC-B14D-7D9B73E9F1DA_zps

E49EAFD3-25C2-4B1E-AA13-4651B51046BF_zps

It's going to be a real booger drilling all of those, but that's what I would do. It looks like you have them cut flush to the plastic now, so the next trick is to get the plastic held in a vise to keep it still while you drill. I would start with a very undersize bit and work up, because you will get to a point where the rivet is just going to spin. If you keep the cuts light, you have a better chance of getting further. Also, the ball of the rivet is down there too, and it won't be happy that you are trying to drill it. You will know when you can't go deeper.

With any luck, you could eventually get them drilled to #43 and then tap it 4-40 NC and use some stainless socket button head screws, leaving the rest of the rivet shanks in place.

Of course, it may just be better to buy a new piece of ABS and make a new panel. What are the dimensions of the part with rivets in it?

Regards,

- Just Gary