Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IMPELLER QUESTIONS

New to inboards. Impeller shattered and boat got up to temp of 230 getting back to Marina. A little smoke but hopefully no serious damage. Anything to be worried about?

So looking at the impeller housing on my 1994 Malibu Echelon I notice there is a right hand out and a left hand out and an arrow showing the direction of left hand. Is my boat a left hand out? Meaning I put the impeller in and then make sure the left hand out is leading to the water pump?

New to inboards. Impeller shattered and boat got up to temp of 230 getting back to Marina. A little smoke but hopefully no serious damage. Anything to be worried about?

So looking at the impeller housing on my 1994 Malibu Echelon I notice there is a right hand out and a left hand out and an arrow showing the direction of left hand. Is my boat a left hand out? Meaning I put the impeller in and then make sure the left hand out is leading to the water pump?

Yes,

I would pull the water hose off the thermostat housing and make sure you flush out any pieces of the old impeller that that may have broke off. Also pull the water lines off the transmission oil cooler as well and do the same thing. You want to make sure you get all the pieces out so they don't cause you any future problems.

If it started to smoke you may want to take a look at the inside of your muffler and see if it is still in good shape. If the muffler gets to hot it will cook the fiberglass muffler and it will start to come apart.

On the freah water pump the port closest to the side of the boat connects to the fresh water pickup, the other connects to the engine.

Good luck, and welcome to the Crew

Two years ago my boat overheated when a mechanic got the impeller hoses mixed up. There was a lot of smoke. I checked things out and ended up replacing the 3" exhaust hoses from the manifolds, I don't have a muffler. The hoses were ballooned inside. I never had a problem but it looks like I may have a small leak in the exhaust riser gasket now.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

When you replace your impeller, use the Globe "blue" impeller. Their impeller is a "run dry" design - they claim it can run up to 15 minutes dry (I have not tested that, however). At any rate, my maintenance cycle now is 3 years on my impeller vs the "standard" annual change out. Since I have a V-drive, it's a real PITA to change impellers out, so this is a very big deal for me Biggrin.gif They cost about $35 from www.defender.com

When you replace your impeller, use the Globe "blue" impeller. Their impeller is a "run dry" design - they claim it can run up to 15 minutes dry (I have not tested that, however). At any rate, my maintenance cycle now is 3 years on my impeller vs the "standard" annual change out. Since I have a V-drive, it's a real PITA to change impellers out, so this is a very big deal for me Biggrin.gif They cost about $35 from www.defender.com

I see a group buy coming on the Blue Globe this fall. Biggrin.gif

Absolutely make sure you get any fragments out of those hoses, or you could cost yourself some real $$$. It's worth the extra effort to get it all out of there.

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely make sure you get any fragments out of those hoses, or you could cost yourself some real $$$. It's worth the extra effort to get it all out of there.

it dosent matter which way u put impeller in once engine turns it will orient itself.the pump can only go on one way.only thing to remember is imput on top output on bottom.

it dosent matter which way u put impeller in once engine turns it will orient itself.the pump can only go on one way.only thing to remember is imput on top output on bottom.

Took the words out of my mouth .:)