Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer issue, need help fast!!!

I need help fast! Here's the deal, I have a Sportster that I am selling and I just bought a 2006 Response which has arrived at the Malibu dealership. I was selling my Sportster thinking that I was going to keep my 2003 SMP (Sweet Water Metal Products) trailer since it has less then 200km and is like new. When I got to where my boat was in storage, I noticed that there was not a lot of room (about 2 1/4") between the hull and the trailer where the wheel guards are (don't know the correct terme?). I know that the Response is 4 inches wider (2 inches on each side), but that is at the widest, not at the lowest part of the hull in line with the axle. Can any one help me with this? I must act fast, because the dealer has only one trailer in stock and I need it soon! Does anyone now the width of a Sporster (1999) and a Response (2006) at the in line with the axle? Has anyone ever trailered a Response on a Sportster (SMP 2003) trailer? Dontknow.gif Any comments?

Thanks in advance!

I need help fast! Here's the deal, I have a Sportster that I am selling and I just bought a 2006 Response which has arrived at the Malibu dealership. I was selling my Sportster thinking that I was going to keep my 2003 SMP (Sweet Water Metal Products) trailer since it has less then 200km and is like new. When I got to where my boat was in storage, I noticed that there was not a lot of room (about 2 1/4") between the hull and the trailer where the wheel guards are (don't know the correct terme?). I know that the Response is 4 inches wider (2 inches on each side), but that is at the widest, not at the lowest part of the hull in line with the axle. Can any one help me with this? I must act fast, because the dealer has only one trailer in stock and I need it soon! Does anyone now the width of a Sporster (1999) and a Response (2006) at the in line with the axle? Has anyone ever trailered a Response on a Sportster (SMP 2003) trailer? Dontknow.gif Any comments?

Thanks in advance!

Should fit!

(IIRC our dealer uses the same SMP trailers for the Sportsters and the Responses.)

And even if the panels inside the fenders should be too narrow to fit a Response, you can loosen the screws of the fenders and slide them outwards about 1.5 inches each side. No problem!

Edited by Chaabo

I don't know about that. You would also have to make sure the boat sits down all the way on the bunks properly. Make sure the paddle wheel for the speedo isn't on one of the bunks. The trailer bunks probably could be moved if needed. Length should be good. What does your dealer say?

I don't know about that. You would also have to make sure the boat sits down all the way on the bunks properly. Make sure the paddle wheel for the speedo isn't on one of the bunks. The trailer bunks probably could be moved if needed. Length should be good. What does your dealer say?

Dealer says, depends on the trailer make. He is not sure about SMP... Dontknow.gif

Sell the Sportster trailer.

Buy a new one for the Response. (Yes, I know, even in Canada where trailers are unpopular)

Peter.