Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski wake behind the 23 Xti...

lake_bum83

I was just curious how the ski wake is behind the 23Xti? What does everyone think. I'm thinking I might go that way at the end of this season and was just curious what everyone thought. I have an 04 DD Wakesetter right now for a comparison I guess. Thanks.

I assume you’re referring to the Sunsetter 23’ XTI as that is on the diamond hull. The difference between what you have and the XTI will be a huge difference as you’re talking another 700 Lbs alone in weight and 93” to 100” beam. It’ll have a more pronounced bump and significantly wider given the boat specs. However, if you’re looking for recreational free skiing it’ll work fine. If you're looking for a larger boat for the family and such it'll provide you with the room the DD feel and better ski wakes than the Vdrives.

23 XTI Discussion

Thanks for the link, I did a little search earlier but didn't come up with that one.

I'm not really sure if we would go with the sunsetter of the wakesetter. My family is kind of a weird mix I guess, we really need a combo boat because me, my brother, and sister all ski and wakeboard and we always have a pretty big crowd, so what we really need is a bigger boat that we can wakeboard out of, but still ski at a pretty high recreational level. Not too much to ask, heh...lol. We got out for the first time this weekend, so naturally I'm already looking ahead to another boat... figured I would start doing some research. Thanks.

I heard it said that it is easier to create a boarding wake out of ski boat, than create a skiing wake out of a boarding boat.

That's true for the most part. Most ski boats are designed to have some lift and some wake-flattening capabilities. Wake boats can be shaped like a bathtub and still throw big wakes. You can't re-shape the hull of the wake boat for slalom, but you can overcome the wake-flattening features of the ski hull with proper weighting for boarding.

Thanks for the link, I did a little search earlier but didn't come up with that one.

I'm not really sure if we would go with the sunsetter of the wakesetter. My family is kind of a weird mix I guess, we really need a combo boat because me, my brother, and sister all ski and wakeboard and we always have a pretty big crowd, so what we really need is a bigger boat that we can wakeboard out of, but still ski at a pretty high recreational level. Not too much to ask, heh...lol. We got out for the first time this weekend, so naturally I'm already looking ahead to another boat... figured I would start doing some research. Thanks.

I’d recommend the SXTI over the WXTI if you want to slalom at a high recreational level. The best way is to simply test each for slalom and boarding and then you’ll know what level each boat performs at and if it meets your needs. We have a combo boat as well as I ski and the wife boards so a crossover platform is what we need as well. Granted my boat does much better in the slalom arena than boarding.

sunscape 21!

I am a big proponent, and here's why. First, I ski a lot behind an 04 sunscape, and it really is a great ski boat. In 05 when it grew, in theory so did the wake, but fijirob has posted some pretty awesome pictures of his 05's wake. The wake truly does look great.

Secondly, you can get the fakesetter package which will be a superior boarding and surfing wake than a 23 SSxti. You can get the ballast options, which allows more a much easier weighting than having to pump sacs in the 23xti (which you would have to do match the factory hidden ballast in the sunscape).

I'm a big fan. IMO it is THE 50-50 crossover boat. People just don't want to believe that a VD can have a ski wake so nice, but it does. The diamond hull makes a big difference.

sunscape 21!

I am a big proponent, and here's why. First, I ski a lot behind an 04 sunscape, and it really is a great ski boat. In 05 when it grew, in theory so did the wake, but fijirob has posted some pretty awesome pictures of his 05's wake. The wake truly does look great.

Secondly, you can get the fakesetter package which will be a superior boarding and surfing wake than a 23 SSxti. You can get the ballast options, which allows more a much easier weighting than having to pump sacs in the 23xti (which you would have to do match the factory hidden ballast in the sunscape).

I'm a big fan. IMO it is THE 50-50 crossover boat. People just don't want to believe that a VD can have a ski wake so nice, but it does. The diamond hull makes a big difference.

I'd like to see the SXTI and the Sunscape wakes at 30-32-34& 36 for comparison.

I have skied the 21XTI with the Wakesetter hull. It is like hitting a wall at the wake. We tried loading the front ballast and the hard wake was better but it had a bad rooster tail that will throw ya. In my experience it is a horrible ski boat.

We tried surfing with it and with my 2 540# sacks and the front ballast in any combination would not produce a surfable wake. Can't comment on the wake for wake boarding but I would guess it is adaquate.

I have a Sunscape 23 (diamond hull) and as long as there is just a couple peeps in the boat the slalom wake is very good at 32 and up.

I think your being a little hard on the wakesetter there. The ski wakes are either not that bad, or I'm not that picky. Probably a little bit of both. As long as the boat is pretty light, 5 or less people, I think the ski wakes are pretty good. Not tournament level or anything, and there is a bump, but i've never thought it was very significant. Its no response wake, or no old Sunsetter wake, but its not that bad.

I also would have to disagree with the wakesurf wake. With the front bag, wedge, and either some extra ballast or a pretty full boat, it has a pretty good surf wake.

It wakeboards well as well, so I've always thought it was a good combo boat.

I think your being a little hard on the wakesetter there. The ski wakes are either not that bad, or I'm not that picky. Probably a little bit of both. As long as the boat is pretty light, 5 or less people, I think the ski wakes are pretty good. Not tournament level or anything, and there is a bump, but i've never thought it was very significant. Its no response wake, or no old Sunsetter wake, but its not that bad.

I also would have to disagree with the wakesurf wake. With the front bag, wedge, and either some extra ballast or a pretty full boat, it has a pretty good surf wake.

It wakeboards well as well, so I've always thought it was a good combo boat.

You asked for opinions and that was from my experience on that particular boat (WS 21XTI). Others opinions may vary, but I am very picky about slalom wakes and I'm just spoiled when it comes to surf wakes. :)