Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Racor LG50 Fuel Air Separator

AirChair1

I bought my 2004 Malibu Sunsetter 23 XTi last year and as I read through the old MBO I remember lots of discussions about a fuel-air separator being a truly wonderful solution to fueling problems. Now I am finally ready to move on this issue and thought I'd help build the information base for our new home by asking a bit more about this item.

1. What are the benefits to installing an Racor LG50 Fuel-air separator?

2. Where does it get installed in the boat? (I am nearly incompetent mechanically

so a detailed description or picture would be greatly appreciated)

3. What online sources have others purchased this item from?

4. How involved is the installation process?

Jeff/AirChair1

1. It allows you to fill up without having the vent puke gas all over the place. You still have to be careful of the fill itself, but this way you only have to watch 1 oraface instead of 2. Plus with a full tank you won't have it puking gas into the lake as well.

2. On the line coming off of the tank, as close to vertical as you can get it.

3. Overtons, Ski-Dim to name a couple.

4. Very easy. Cut the line, insert both ends & tighten the clamps.

The hardest part of the process is getting the nerve up to cut the gas line.

Once the LG 50 is in make sure the other fill cap is closed, on dual filler cap boats, and seal the gas nozzle as tightly as possible when filling up. It is the back pressure in the fill line that triggers the gas fill nozzle to shut off. If you notice the filler tube in your car has a restricter in it to help serve that purpose.

I bought my 2004 Malibu Sunsetter 23 XTi last year and as I read through the old MBO I remember lots of discussions about a fuel-air separator being a truly wonderful solution to fueling problems.   Now I am finally ready to move on this issue and thought I'd help build the information base for our new home by asking a bit more about this item.

1. What are the benefits to installing an Racor LG50 Fuel-air separator?

2. Where does it get installed in the boat? (I am nearly incompetent mechanically

so a detailed description or picture would be greatly appreciated)

3. What online sources have others purchased this item from?

4. How involved is the installation process?

Jeff/AirChair1

As WAKEGIRL said. Here is mine.

Racor LG50 installed

Edited by Sunsetter95
1.  It allows you to fill up without having the vent puke gas all over the place.  You still have to be careful of the fill itself, but this way you only have to watch 1 oraface instead of 2.  Plus with a full tank you won't have it puking gas into the lake as well.

2.  On the line coming off of the tank, as close to vertical as you can get it.

3.  Overtons, Ski-Dim to name a couple.

4.  Very easy.  Cut the line, insert both ends & tighten the clamps.

WakeGirl,

Thanks for the prompt response.

So this in no way helps the problem getting gas INTO the boat? I have a very hard time filling the tank. It shuts off the pump repeatedly and then eventually it will overflow well before ever being filled. (Nothing beats the time I pumped gas in one side of the boat only to have it go out the other side of the boat via the other fill point. I foolishly believed that allowing it to vent on the other side would help out. FYI, the tank was nearly empty at the time.)

For those who are also looking for this item here is a link to skidim to purchase it:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50

Jeff/AirChair1

1.  It allows you to fill up without having the vent puke gas all over the place.  You still have to be careful of the fill itself, but this way you only have to watch 1 oraface instead of 2.  Plus with a full tank you won't have it puking gas into the lake as well.

2.  On the line coming off of the tank, as close to vertical as you can get it.

3.  Overtons, Ski-Dim to name a couple.

4.  Very easy.  Cut the line, insert both ends & tighten the clamps.

WakeGirl,

Thanks for the prompt response.

So this in no way helps the problem getting gas INTO the boat? I have a very hard time filling the tank. It shuts off the pump repeatedly and then eventually it will overflow well before ever being filled. (Nothing beats the time I pumped gas in one side of the boat only to have it go out the other side of the boat via the other fill point. I foolishly believed that allowing it to vent on the other side would help out. FYI, the tank was nearly empty at the time.)

For those who are also looking for this item here is a link to skidim to purchase it:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50

Jeff/AirChair1

Exactly, it just helps with the vent overflowing with a full tank. Even so, I still think it's worth doing. I added one to our current boat before we even broke it in, it made such a huge difference on the last boat. As for how to get gas into the boat, I know, that's the frustrating part. After 100 hours on ours, we're still trying to figure out how to get a full tank without having it spit gas back at us or standing there for 30 minutes. We've tried nearly every trick out there.

I've always heard about the "spitting of gas" problem on other's boats and was worried about filling up our 2005 LSV. Well, I've been pumped it full blast with no problems yet. Is this something they addressed in the new boats or am I missing something?

WakeGirl Posted Today, 02:15 PM

After 100 hours on ours, we're still trying to figure out how to get a full tank without having it spit gas back at us or standing there for 30 minutes. We've tried nearly every trick out there.

Really? I top mine off all the time, and in less time than it takes me to fill up the Suburban's gas tank.

BTW, Here's the results of some testing on fuel/air separators performed by Boat US. Inline Fuel/Air Separators product testing

Edited by John I.
BTW, Here's the results of some testing on fuel/air separators performed by Boat US.  Inline Fuel/Air Separators product testing

According to these results, the LG50 could cause some splash back. Have other people experienced this splash back with the LG50 besides Tracie? Has anyone used the LG100? Is it too big to fit in where needed?

Ken

I have read that sometimes the vent has been clogged from assembly or something else.

Have you inspected the line and checked the airflow through of the vent line?

I have heard that some vents can be shut off to prevent rain from going into the tank?

The LG50 is a surge valve that allows vapor to flow by, but will close if fluid get to it. Mine works well also.

Edited by Sunsetter95

Wakegirl, On my 98 this weekend I noticed it did have something simular on this fuel vent line. Were they installed from the factory? I have had a couple of drips come from the vent fitting when filling it up. I guess maybe they tried to correct this from the factory and maybe mine just isn't working as it should?

These LG50's have to be installed in the upright position or they will not operate correctly. That could be an issue with yours. Maybe....

I know that the LG50 needs to be higher than the tank and the line needs to run at a slight angle back to the tank so no fuel gets trapped in the line. With that said, I read the findings in the link above and I agree, at fast speeds sometimes it may surge out. I usually set it on the slower speeds and listen. It has been working very well for me and haven't had fuel surge out in quit some time. Of course that means that the next time, it will gush all over the back, and the side.