Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard for the rest of the family

idahows

We were out and about yesterday (since all the baseball games were cancelled due to rain) and hit a local shop looking at boards of all kinds (wake, skate, surf) as well as other accessories for the new bu. Each of the kids wants their own wakeboard but I'm hesitant to go that route at this point. Is there a beginner/intermediate board that would work for my wife and boys that are a) all beginners; B) range from 4'11" to 5'7" and 100-150lbs? The boys are 13 & 11 (my 7 y/o daughter isn't that interested...yet) and are fairly athletic but inexperienced behind the boat on any kind of stick. I want something that will be easy for them to get up on and control as well as take them to the next level (if such a board exists).

With a new boat I have plenty to buy (racks, stereo, lighthing, etc.) and would like to keep the new boards to a minimum if this will work for rest of my 'bu crew. Let me know what you've done and how successful it was for your family.

thanks,

David

The best advice I can think of is buy used. Get two different boards with two different sized bindings for the kids and wife. They're gonna grow out of the board soon so, don't spend a buch of money now. I just sold a board on ebay, there's tons of them there. You could aslo look into x-demo boards at your local shop.

Take a look at the Liquid Force Nemesis. I wouild get the largest size they make which I think is right around 131 cm. For beginner/intermediate riders that would do the trick.

I've always felt that the HL Motive is one of the best boards out there to learn and progress on. Something in the 133 range would work for most people. Get some bindings that have a large range, like the HL Spins in a standard size.

Hyperlite used to make a Belmont 131 (that's what I ride in fact :)) that would make a good all around board. You'll have to find it on Ebay or possibly in leftover stock from the usual suspects though, I think '03 was the last year for it.

I've always felt that the HL Motive is one of the best boards out there to learn and progress on. Something in the 133 range would work for most people.
Hyperlite used to make a Belmont 131 (that's what I ride in fact :)) that would make a good all around board. You'll have to find it on Ebay or possibly in leftover stock from the usual suspects though, I think '03 was the last year for it.

The Belmont and the Motive are very similar, in fact I believe the Belmont became the Motive (both designed by Shawn Murray)

Either way, the Motive has been a board that is always on our boat and everyone seems to like it.

We must have posted that at the same time. :) I'd forgotten about the Motive, good call. The Murray boards (Belmont, Fluid, Motive, Temet, Murray) through the years have all been good - they are predictbale & won't hurt you, while not holding you back at the same time.

We were in the exact scenario you are in a couple of years ago.

I'd encourage you to demo your top candidates. (most shops apply your demo fee toward the cost of a board so it doesn't cost you anything)

We ended up get the Motive 134 as the first all around board. It spanned from early teens on up. We found it to be a great board to cover a wide range of size/ability.

fwiw, Here was our progression for our board purchases:

1st board HL Motive 134 w/ Large Spins (pre-teen to adult for us)

2nd board HL Motive 119 w/ Spins - better fit the younger/smaller kids

1st surfboard - LF Skimskate

3rd board HL 3DS 143 w/ Murrays - better fit for Dad and bigger guys

1st wakeskate - LF Impulse

Good luck - let us know how you end up. . . .

Idahows - from a different perspective...

I'd recommend the demo approach as well. But I'd HIGHLY recommend not skimping on the board binding combo for your wife and kids.

If they don't have a good experience on the water, then YOUR water time will be severly limited. I spared no expense on buying the top of the line board and most comfy/luxuriously comfortable bindings I could find for the CFO. My kids are much smaller, but I did find a board that fit both my 9 and 7 year old. And my 5 year old could just fit. Now their sizes are starting to change, and likes as well. I'll most likely have to get two more sets of racks this year for the extra board for the 10 year old and the two surfboards.

If they have a great time on the water, then they'll want to go again and again. If they have a crapy time. The boat will grow moldy in the garage/driveway.

I'd recommend the demo approach as well. But I'd HIGHLY recommend not skimping on the board binding combo for your wife and kids.

If they don't have a good experience on the water, then YOUR water time will be severly limited. I spared no expense on buying the top of the line board and most comfy/luxuriously comfortable bindings I could find for the CFO. My kids are much smaller, but I did find a board that fit both my 9 and 7 year old. And my 5 year old could just fit. Now their sizes are starting to change, and likes as well. I'll most likely have to get two more sets of racks this year for the extra board for the 10 year old and the two surfboards.

If they have a great time on the water, then they'll want to go again and again. If they have a crapy time. The boat will grow moldy in the garage/driveway.

Or get spiderwebs in the fold-away tongue. ROFL.gif

Sage advice as always...thanks!

Sorry Idahows, not sure if this is your first boat or not, but I aught to give you some follow up on the good board / bindings.

It's been my experience that the board and bindings makes up a significant % of the behind the boat experience. In the beginning it is a very high percentage - at least 50% IMO. If you're in the wrong board / bindings combo it makes getting up, going back and forth, learning to jump, etc. that much harder. But if you're in a board/binding combo that is right for you - then you're that much more likely to do well, enjoy yourself and want to do it again and again.

- and importantly for the CFO, not to get hurt. Wrong board / binding can make the face slap, whiplash neck injury that ruines your weekend a lot more likely. If she gets hurt, that could seriously curtail your boating fun.

As someone becomes an intermediate to advanced rider they develop technique to deal with different board/binding setups. But as a beginner, you need all the help you can get.

Demo's are great, just make sure they are the right boards/bindings for your crew.

Good luck!

Or get spiderwebs in the fold-away tongue. ROFL.gif

Watch it, watch it.

Man, with all this rain I haven't been able to put the boat in for over a month now. The first month I've missed in the last 10. Sad.

RAIN GO AWAY!

Sorry Idahows, not sure if this is your first boat or not, but I aught to give you some follow up on the good board / bindings.

It's been my experience that the board and bindings makes up a significant % of the behind the boat experience. In the beginning it is a very high percentage - at least 50% IMO. If you're in the wrong board / bindings combo it makes getting up, going back and forth, learning to jump, etc. that much harder. But if you're in a board/binding combo that is right for you - then you're that much more likely to do well, enjoy yourself and want to do it again and again.

- and importantly for the CFO, not to get hurt. Wrong board / binding can make the face slap, whiplash neck injury that ruines your weekend a lot more likely. If she gets hurt, that could seriously curtail your boating fun.

As someone becomes an intermediate to advanced rider they develop technique to deal with different board/binding setups. But as a beginner, you need all the help you can get.

Demo's are great, just make sure they are the right boards/bindings for your crew.

Good luck!

Totally agree -- you really want CFO and kids to have a good experience and the right gear helps.