Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Frame Recall

Levi900RR

I just wrote up a big long thread about how I like my Toyota and how I appreciate what Toyota is doing to make this frame issue right and then I deleted it because I don't care what anyone else thinks.

:lol:

PS, I love the first sentence of this post

Short version....I haven't read all of the posts

Long version.....I only had to read half of the posts to see all of the Toyota supporters that love their trucks group together, despite the fact they are rusting to pieces (some of them anyway)

Seriously though, your post is informative and I'm glad you posted it. And I'm glad Toyota is going to fork over the big Yen (frame replacement jobs aren't cheap) to fix their mistake and get you back safely on the road. If I were in your shoes, that is the ONLY way I would ever be a return customer one of their products.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I ordered $1500 worth of parts for the Tundra yesterday. Wishing I was spending that $ on the LSV but whatever...

Bilstein 5100 Shocks

Flowmaster stainless Downpipes with CATS (factory replacements)

Poly swaybar bushing kit

HD Swaybar end link kit

Poly steering rack bushing kit

Dealer said they'd be replacing:

Fuel lines

Brake lines

Control arm bushings (and the control arms if they are too corroded)

Upper ball joints

I'm going to have them do the water pump and timing belt while they're in there at a reduced labor rate. As well as change out all fluids (trans, transfer case, diff's)

So I'm just waiting for a call from the dealer to give me the date.

Don't you love it when that happens?

Toyota's are great trucks with a long history. This is a hiccup and it sounds like they are standing behind it.

They must have a bad case of the hiccups. Toyota trucks have LONG been known to be complete rust buckets and this isn't the first truck Toyota has recalled for the frame rotting out.

Baddog, I'll grab some the next time I'm in my hometown. They aren't as prevalent up in the "big city" where I live :lol:

I got my Magnaflow CAT pipes which look really nice! Got the Bilstien 5100's last night, man those are beefy. Along with my HD Swaybar end links and poly bushings. That's all my parts. Truck goes in this coming Monday! I can't wait to get it back.

Get this, I was walking through the parking lot at the grocery store yesterday... I saw a Tundra identical to mine, same year, color, and it was a limited. I bent down and looked under the wheel well and saw this:

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

NICE! This dude beat me to the dealer!

• Like 1

Holy Schnikies Levi, I don't know what you are crying about. His truck doesn't have a bit of rust on the frame and it 's the same year/model as yours. You sure you are not overracting??

Holy Schnikies Levi, I don't know what you are crying about. His truck doesn't have a bit of rust on the frame and it 's the same year/model as yours. You sure you are not overracting??

That frame has already been replaced.

:lol: I know right, his looks brand new!

at least with my Ford I don't have to deal with paparazzi crawling around under it in the parking lot. ;)

I kept wondering if the owner was going to come out and wonder wtf I was doing...

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4

They should try this with the same trucks after several years in the north east. Mike could do a dirty job episode while cleaning up the mess.

That video is why if I was buying a brand new truck it would be an F150.

Could you imagine if you took my truck through there with the frame the way it is?!?!?!?!

I love my truck. If I put 3G's into replacing a TON of the items that are weak on it I think I can get another 10 years out of it. If I were to trade in, its going to cost me 10-15K. AND, I am not a huge fan of the new gen Tundras. Its just way more truck than I need, AND I hate the mileage on MY little 4.7L let alone the 11-13MPG that those 5.7's get.

The cheapest way for me to get out of this is to have them rebuild my truck and replace anything that needs replacing along the way. The body / interior of my truck are mint, and the running gear has 85K on it.

There is a local window and door store up here that a buddy of mine works for. They have 20 2003-2006 Tundras. 10 of them have over 200K miles. So at 8-10K miles a year I should get a TON of life out of my 04.

One thing to keep in mind on the 4.7L at 90k you need to replace timing belt. Which also includes water pump, they do it at the same time. Its a pricey replacement at about $1500 with parts and labor. The 5.7L has a timing chain, which never needs replacement.

I kept wondering if the owner was going to come out and wonder wtf I was doing...

He would have thought you were eyeballing his catalytic converter.... there is a major theft problem with those right now, they are worth a lot of money and easy to cut off quickly.

At the dealer have them paint your cat converter bright orange and engrave your license plate number, my dealership will do this for free to stop people from cutting them off. Not sure if its a problem in your area, we had six stolen in our side of town one night.

One thing to keep in mind on the 4.7L at 90k you need to replace timing belt. Which also includes water pump, they do it at the same time. Its a pricey replacement at about $1500 with parts and labor. The 5.7L has a timing chain, which never needs replacement.

You can get the timing belt kit with a water pump for a whopping $188 shipped:

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Toyota/Tundra/TimingBelts/AM-16401299/481853-2003.html?utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=EEK&gclid=COicvsHwmbsCFa9cMgodUEoAIA

Obviously it costs more if you are afraid to get your hands dirty. I took a quick look online and people were quoting dealer prices from $550 - $900 for the service (parts and labor).

You can get the timing belt kit with a water pump for a whopping $188 shipped:

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Toyota/Tundra/TimingBelts/AM-16401299/481853-2003.html?utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=EEK&gclid=COicvsHwmbsCFa9cMgodUEoAIA

Obviously it costs more if you are afraid to get your hands dirty. I took a quick look online and people were quoting dealer prices from $550 - $900 for the service (parts and labor).

Add 40% for living in California, my dealer is quoting $1400 for parts and labor. Jury is still out on how long you can go and if Toyota is ripping people off at 90k mile recommendation... I have been reading many articles saying don't even bother until 130k miles.

Also have read that if belt breaks you will not bend any valves like some other belts. Motor will not start, but turning over will not damage anything either.