Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Frame Recall

Levi900RR

PS,

I just put all new brakes and new tires on (within the last year) This is what I'm planning during the frame swap.

Bilstien 5100 all the way around

Teflon steering / swaybar / control arm bushings

Swaybar end links (found some really nice aftermarket ones)

Upper ball joints

Tie rod ends

Full Exhaust (minus my Borla cat back)

Timing belt

Water pump

All new brake and fuel lines

E brake cable

I can't wait to get it all done!

T minus 1 day until frame inspection. I've got my parts list ready for stuff I'm going to have them replace while its apart.

Let us know what they say and how much they will replace for free like brake lines.

Google Toyota recall fraud and you will find they failed to recall millions of vehicles, many after years of sweeping the need under the rug to "protect" their quality reputation they settled with the Feds. The settled lawsuits cover up to over 22 million owners.

If you have the option take the cash and shop somewhere else.

• Like 1

Truck is getting inspected as I type. Service writer took a look at the pic that I took of the hole. He goes "OH MAN, your getting a new frame" :yahoo:

I also ran into an old buddy of mine who is the parts and service manager!!! He told me about how much stuff this dealership is choosing to replace as part of the process. He said you basically get a new truck back. I am super pumped. They also said to bring in any aftermarket parts I want to have them install. No charge for the labor. So I'll be ordering up some 5100's, magnaflow cat pipes and whatever else I want upgraded while this is happening.

I'm going to grab a bunch of pics while its happening to document the process in case I decide to sell it someday.

• Like 2

Let us know what they say and how much they will replace for free like brake lines.

Service mgr told me today off the top of his head they replace:

Brake lines

Fuel lines / filters

control arms

Most of the hardware

EDIT: this bolded items will be replaced a zero cost to me.

Additionally I'm going to have them install (with no labor costs)

Magnaflow OEM downpipes with CAT's

Bilstein 5100 shocks

Poly steering bushing

Poly swaybar bushings

HD swaybar end links

Timing belt

Water pump

I'll have to pay some labor for the timing belt / water pump but it will be less as the engine will be out.

Edited by Levi900RR

Sounds like the only thing left to do is find out from your buddy who the best mechanic in the dealership is and insist he do the work.

Sounds like the only thing left to do is find out from your buddy who the best mechanic in the dealership is and insist he do the work.

He says they've got two guys that pretty much ONLY do frame swaps now and they have it down to a science. We also talked about taking my box over and having the underside undercoated. Debating on doing the cab while its off as well...

Sent my Toyota mechanic my VIN today and mine is not part of the recall, but still needs to be inspected just to double check to see, down here they usually just have to clean the rust, apply protectant, and change out the fuel tank straps. He said it is mostly the ones in areas that salt the roads.

They don't salt in the west? They used calcium brime for a couple years here but stopped due to it being so corrosive, they now do salt brime before it snows and pure salt thru the storm, they really do a good job cleaning it up, if we have to drive on snow covered roads for much more then a few hours after a storm its rare, and no broken windshields from sand rocks. everyone says its harder on vehicles, but the newer ones are the ones with rusted frames, body's, brake lines, older stuff just has the rusted body's like they always have had. It still seems like we have as many accidents, I think we drive so little in snow now that people forgot how to when it does storm during travel time.

I haven't read all of the posts so I'm sorry if this comes off as offensive, but I just don't understand why everyone justifies their great Toyota truck when the main structure of their vehicle is crumbling to pieces. To me this is unacceptable and no matter what brand I would run, not walk, to another brand. If this were an American product, it would get bashed like crazy. There is no excuse for this. I live very close to Toyota R&D facilities here in MI and I know there is one in Ohio...I doubt there is a state out there that uses more road salt than MI. Its just simply bad design and materials. Today its the frame that they will replace, what's next? And you guys pull your 2 ton wake boats with these things? Yikes! OK, rant off.

I haven't read all of the posts so I'm sorry if this comes off as offensive, but I just don't understand why everyone justifies their great Toyota truck when the main structure of their vehicle is crumbling to pieces. To me this is unacceptable and no matter what brand I would run, not walk, to another brand. If this were an American product, it would get bashed like crazy. There is no excuse for this. I live very close to Toyota R&D facilities here in MI and I know there is one in Ohio...I doubt there is a state out there that uses more road salt than MI. Its just simply bad design and materials. Today its the frame that they will replace, what's next? And you guys pull your 2 ton wake boats with these things? Yikes! OK, rant off.

I believe the recall includes the spare tire mount as well.

I just wrote up a big long thread about how I like my Toyota and how I appreciate what Toyota is doing to make this frame issue right and then I deleted it because I don't care what anyone else thinks.

:lol:

PS, I love the first sentence of this post

• Like 2

I just wrote up a big long thread about how I like my Toyota and how I appreciate what Toyota is doing to make this frame issue right and then I deleted it because I don't care what anyone else thinks.

:lol:

PS, I love the first sentence of this post

Don't you love it when that happens?

Toyota's are great trucks with a long history. This is a hiccup and it sounds like they are standing behind it. IMHO there is no such thing as the best truck on the market because everyone has different opinions on what the best truck should be. Look at me, I bought a Titan :lol:

Toyota's are great trucks with a long history. This is a hiccup and it sounds like they are standing behind it. IMHO there is no such thing as the best truck on the market because everyone has different opinions on what the best truck should be. Look at me, I bought a Titan :lol:

I don't want to look at you. ;) I didn't buy a Titan nor a Toyota but I did sleep well on my Sleep number bed last night.

• Like 1

We just think you got lost!! :crazy:

Props to Toyota for making it right. How many vehicles were manufactured by US and other foreign automakers for decades with rust and cancer issues without any recourse for buyers?

What I learned from this thread is that I should have opened a repair shop on the east coast somewhere. Cars over there must need double the maintenance.

This is 100% correct, and in VT you should see some of the rig's that live their life way up on the end of a dirt road. They just fall apart.

Wow. My '06 Titan has lived a brutal life when it comes to salt. Most of the winter, my bright red truck is a grayish-white color and you can't brush up against it with a black jacket without getting chalked. The only places I have any rust are on my hitch and on the inner surface of the in-bed storage door. No frame rust to speak of.

That really surprises me from Toyota.