Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Frame Recall

Levi900RR

Okay now I'm completely shaken....all along I have been told that Toyota trucks are the best. Now I just don't know who to believe anymore.

Okay now I'm completely shaken....all along I have been told that Toyota trucks are the best. Now I just don't know who to believe anymore.

How about beleive your gut feeling!

And I'm also with Martin, what the heck is going on with Toyota? That's just....wow....I don't have the words. That's the kind of thing that would take me away from a brand forever.

When Toyota bought back my co-worker's Tacoma, even though he was going to replace it with a new vehicle AND Toyota was giving him even more money if he bought another Toyota he promptly took that cash and went to a different brand.

I have a toyota and this doesn't turn me away at all. The problem is being caused by salt and cold weather in one area of the world. Not only that it looks like they are doing everything to fix it and looks like they took very good care of the people they bought them back from.

Levi it sounds like a good deal New frame sure you will get new bushing if not I would ask for it. I'm sure a new alinement is in order.

Had a friend have his Tacoma Bought back a few years ago as well for this issue. His truck was beat up and well used and they gave him well over what he paid for it and was not the original owner however did buy it used at a Toyota dealership. Good on Toyota for doing right by their customers. He bought a newer Tacoma.

Friend of mine had his Tundra done a couple few years back. They replaced the frame, and in doing so, replaced a lot of other things as they broke when they removed them. I think he said there were all new brake lines, many hoses, fuel tank mounts, etc. Definitely a big task, good for Toyota for standing up to it. My Expedition was coming apart at the seems and Ford said, yep, they rust.

I know its off topic but no one answered. Why do they salt the roads on the east coast? Other parts of the world get just as much snow and don't do it? Maybe I am wrong, don't know. :dontknow:

I am not sure how you'd get the snow off the roads without salt. You can plow down to a certain point, then you'd have packed snow/ice everywhere. Yeah, they don't use a lot of salt in places like Russia, but a quick peruse of youtube and Russian winter roads will show you why that is probably not the best idea.

They are the best, the frame thing is just a hiccup, well, maybe a belch.

:Tease3:

I am not sure how you'd get the snow off the roads without salt. You can plow down to a certain point, then you'd have packed snow/ice everywhere. Yeah, they don't use a lot of salt in places like Russia, but a quick peruse of youtube and Russian winter roads will show you why that is probably not the best idea.

In Western Canada they use more sand than salt since the weather is dry here. The snow has a different consistency here and doesn't stick to the roads like out east where the weather is more humid and the snow is sticky. I know in Eastern Canada the cars rust much faster than the ones out west.

So what the heck does Toyota make frames out of....tissue paper? Not wanting to start any brand debate but man, I have a 11 and 42 year old Ford and they look pretty darn good in spite of the salted roads. When the Toyota dealership did the frame recall on the Tacomas a few years ago there was a TON of them that were sitting in the dealership lot.

One thing you have to give Toyota is their willingness to admit when they are wrong and take responsibility for their issues. That's pretty awesome in my book.

I agree, at least they are willing to fix their faults...i've seen many issues with things I've owned where the company won't step up...Older chevy's with e-brake issues and indmar with the damper plates..I love my tundra and am very happy they will at least back their mistakes. (Killer floor mats and now this). I live in Texas but I'll be checking mine when I get home...

I know its off topic but no one answered. Why do they salt the roads on the east coast? Other parts of the world get just as much snow and don't do it? Maybe I am wrong, don't know. :dontknow:

I dunno, I always have enjoyed driving in the snow without the salt when it's late or early (before the trucks are out). They salt as soon as it starts snowing usually. If they keep up with the plowing and salting the roads are usually just wet since the salt lowers the melting temp of the snow.

So do they just plow the snow and leave the ice on the road out your way? Any RWD/FWD cars out your way?

In my area salt is cheep. some areas also use calcium chloride both are very corrosive. The ground is in a frozen state for most of the winter if you get snow or rain it freezes on the road, in traffic ice build up is very fast. Other mixes are been tried. One is a salt manure mix... :(

I just don't understand you Northerners. :Tease3: Move down south more months to play on the lake and never have to worry about all this ever again. :Doh: Now with that said I will fly over to Breck and enjoy a little of that snow in a few months. :rockon::cheers:

• Like 1

In my area salt is cheep. some areas also use calcium chloride both are very corrosive. The ground is in a frozen state for most of the winter if you get snow or rain it freezes on the road, in traffic ice build up is very fast. Other mixes are been tried. One is a salt manure mix... :(

We just let it build up and do some plowing here and there. Even in the parts of the state with the highest snowfall. I think you guys must get so much more, and there's so many more people (I guess).

Consider in Oregon that the areas with the highest snowfall also have the lowest populations.

On the west side of the mountain you'd think it was Armageddon when we get 1/2" of snow. I'm not joking Western Oregonian are the worst!

Edited by Ruffdog

We just let it build up and do some plowing here and there. Even in the parts of the state with the highest snowfall. I think you guys must get so much more, and there's so many more people (I guess).

Consider in Oregon that the areas with the highest snowfall also have the lowest populations.

On the west side of the mountain you'd think it was Armageddon when we get 1/2" of snow. I'm not joking Western Oregonian are the worst!

Cant be worse than Seattle drivers! They may be the worst.

Yepeer you have very mild winters. I lived just across the river in Vancouver for a short time. I spent a lot of time on Mt.Hood.

Yepeer you have very mild winters. I lived just across the river in Vancouver for a short time. I spent a lot of time on Mt.Hood.

The couv. No wonder you only stayed a short time :lol:

Has Toyota stated what they did wrong on these frames? Forgot to coat them? Use Chinese steel?

From what I've read it's a combo of both... Their vendor had an issue with their steel source and there was an issue with the finish.

Take the money and run.......FAST!!!

Why do they salt?

Depends on the conditions, where the snow and air is dryer they tend to Plow and sand. Where the snow is wetter and the air more humid, salt, brine and chemicals are used to help combat black ice. We tend to get daytime temps above freezing and nighttime temps that freeze. The salt or brine works for hours and helps stop black ice. Driving in dry snow is easy, lots of grip with good tires. Driving in wet slushy snow sucks, very hard to drive in and lots of people roll the dice and don't buy winter tires.

You think driving in your neck of the woods is bad, come to Vancouver where the immigrants from around the world bring their cultures driving habits to our city. Go to Richmond, a suberb of Van with a heavy Asian influence..........OMG

Take the money and run.......FAST!!!

Why do they salt?

Depends on the conditions, where the snow and air is dryer they tend to Plow and sand. Where the snow is wetter and the air more humid, salt, brine and chemicals are used to help combat black ice. We tend to get daytime temps above freezing and nighttime temps that freeze. The salt or brine works for hours and helps stop black ice. Driving in dry snow is easy, lots of grip with good tires. Driving in wet slushy snow sucks, very hard to drive in and lots of people roll the dice and don't buy winter tires.

You think driving in your neck of the woods is bad, come to Vancouver where the immigrants from around the world bring their cultures driving habits to our city. Go to Richmond, a suberb of Van with a heavy Asian influence..........OMG

OMG because it's so wonderful? Or do they drive like they do in Taipei?

I love my truck. If I put 3G's into replacing a TON of the items that are weak on it I think I can get another 10 years out of it. If I were to trade in, its going to cost me 10-15K. AND, I am not a huge fan of the new gen Tundras. Its just way more truck than I need, AND I hate the mileage on MY little 4.7L let alone the 11-13MPG that those 5.7's get.

The cheapest way for me to get out of this is to have them rebuild my truck and replace anything that needs replacing along the way. The body / interior of my truck are mint, and the running gear has 85K on it.

There is a local window and door store up here that a buddy of mine works for. They have 20 2003-2006 Tundras. 10 of them have over 200K miles. So at 8-10K miles a year I should get a TON of life out of my 04.