Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power on with key off

I just noticed on my new vRide that with the key completely out of the ignition, most switch items still function. These include air blower, bilge pump, both ballast pumps, all lights, shower power, etc.

Is this right???? It seems that it would be very easy to walk away from the boat and drain your battery down. Isn't turning the key off supposed to remove all power except the bilge pump?

I just noticed on my new vRide that with the key completely out of the ignition, most switch items still function. These include air blower, bilge pump, both ballast pumps, all lights, shower power, etc.

Is this right???? It seems that it would be very easy to walk away from the boat and drain your battery down. Isn't turning the key off supposed to remove all power except the bilge pump?

Well, if your boat is in the water at a dock and you didn't have power to things like your bilge pump and you had a slight leak, your bilge pump would not run. You certainly don't want to have to turn the key on to be able to run the bilge blower (kaa-boom... maybe). Ballast, maybe, but your system may take several minutes to fill all of them so why burn the fuel. While sitting out on the lake in the dark after a good day, you need at least your anchor light on to be legal. Again, why burn the fuel. Same for the shower.

If you want to kill the power completely, put in a switch. Cheers.gif

Edited by Sunsetter95

All of the 5 boats I have owned in the last 20 years only the motor, gauges, depth finder and PP was turned off by the key. Everything else could be turned on or off with the key in or out.

Mine's the same. Had a problem only once, after my little boy was "driving" while I wiped down the boat. Next day I had an unexpected opportunity for a quick run and, you guessed it, dead battery.

1) Always check the switches after a little boy drives and/or before covering.

2) Get a battery booster pack for emergencies (like needing to ski NOW).

3) If you have a booster pack you'll never have a dead battery. ;->

Mine's the same way.

I just try to be really anal when I leave the boat to insure all are off. Last year during a week on Lake George, NY I was rudely awoken at 2:00 a.m. with the certain thought in my head that I had left the bilge pump switch on. So I ran down to the boat in my skivvies, in the rain, in the dark, undid the cover enought to climb in only to find all was off as it should be. I now triple check for peace of mind.

Do you have a recommendation for a good brand/model of battery booster?

Depends on the features you want. Mine has booster, compressor, and an inverter that will run very low-powered things. I've used the inverter during power outages to have a light in the house and/or plug in the alarm clock for the AM. Anything bigger and I start thinking about the generator.

Mine USED TO HAVE a light built on. However, the internal wiring fried when I tested it right out of the box. I sent it back under warranty and the company returned it to me "repaired." Light still didn't work. The unit has been fine otherwise, but based on this experience I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VECTOR.