Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

speedo pickup

Had the new VLX 2 days now, and have bent the speedo pickup tabs twice now on my lift. There's about 3 inches of tolerance between those cheap plastic tabs and my lift bunks, which cannot be moved. Any reason why those tabs aren't brass? Sure would help me climbing underneath with pliers every day to get my speedo to work. Mad.gifCrazy.gifCry.gif

What Jack said...get the bunks moved

hydraulic lift with bunks on the arms that can't be moved left or right. Why is the pickup guards made of cheap a** plastic?

What Jack said...get the bunks moved

hydraulic lift with bunks on the arms that can't be moved left or right. Why is the pickup guards made of cheap a** plastic?

I'm thinking the little "guards" are the least of your worries if you keeping ramming the paddlewheel. If there is no way to move the bunks out, to say 48" on center, then you ought to figure a way to install some boat centering guides.

Looks like each hydraulic bunk assembly can be adusted on the rectangular cross member in the front/ back of the lift. If the V connecting the two bunks was cut and spread, would that get you to where you need to be?

post-99-1145285822.jpg

Edited by edwin
bunks are hooked to lift and to each other via a deep V. Pic on the link:

http://www.feighner.com/hydrauliclift.htm

I'll just have to dial in my centering guides I guess. It seems like the wheel protectors on the pickup could be made of brass or something that can take hitting a bunk.

I know you shouldn't HAVE to, but you could get some 3" x 3" aluminum angles (or better yet, box tubing) about 10-12" in length and mount one end to the aluminum frame where the bunk boards are currently mounted, then remount the bunks on the other end of the angle extenders. Make sense?

I'm reluctant to cut that V or put on the box tubing due to stability issues. I think I need to get the centering guides dialed in, and talk to my dealer about a future improvement to the VLX speedo pickup. There shouldn't be something so fragile so far out wide on the hull. Makes no sense on it's placement or it's material.