Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

shower pump problems

Brought my first malibu recently (a 02 Response LX Biggrin.gif ), but didn't check everything before purchase & the shower isn't working. Thought it may have been wires chopped by previous owners rapid stereo removal but it's not as the pump has volts.

Bypassed the pressure switch & still no go. What's the usual fault, the motor or the pump ?

It makes no noise so I'm thinking the motor has died as a stalled pump section would blow the fuse.

Buy a whole new unit or try to get the motor fixed ?

Label on it is Heater Craft model D51X000B, 12V, 7Amps, 2.2GPM (8.3LPM)max, pressure 30psi

Brought my first malibu recently (a 02 Response LX Biggrin.gif ), but didn't check everything before purchase & the shower isn't working. Thought it may have been wires chopped by previous owners rapid stereo removal but it's not as the pump has volts.

Bypassed the pressure switch & still no go. What's the usual fault, the motor or the pump ?

It makes no noise so I'm thinking the motor has died as a stalled pump section would blow the fuse.

Buy a whole new unit or try to get the motor fixed ?

Label on it is Heater Craft model D51X000B, 12V, 7Amps, 2.2GPM (8.3LPM)max, pressure 30psi

As it appears like some part of the pump is dead & getting repair or replacement part is

unlikely I asked NZ dealer for replacement pump price. Came out at equiv US$175. Seemed little

high compared to another brand 10LPM pump I can get from boat shop for equiv US$110.

Now the question is, if I fit the cheaper 10LPM pump rather than a factory specified 8.3LPM

could I be risking removing too much hot water from the engine ?

I'm thinking it should be ok as risk could be higher flow but less heat or in extreme the

engine can't keep up and thermostat cycles giving long (30+ secs) pulses of hot & cold.

Any thoughts ?

Guessing I could always restrict the shower nozzzle or output pipe a little to restrict max flow back to 8.3LPM

As mine has never worked & I've not seen a working one either, what sort of flow do most of you

get ? I know the pump rating is open flow and there are already restrictions anyway (pipes, valves, shower head etc), so it must be less than 8.5LPM, perhaps 6LPM ?

I would recommend to change the whole pump!

It's the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to fix your problem.

Buy a pressure-switched one with a flow rate of at least 6LPM (that is what I used when I retrofitted my hot water shower). The flow is just right, could be a bit more though. I don't think, that a 10LPM would harm your engine b/c you never shower that long to completely suck all the hot water out of the engine. And anyway you won't have only the hot water coming out of the shower (150°F!) and there is a lot of water in the engine's cooling system. (I know b/c I also use the shower to drain the engine sometimes when we get frost over the night).

I have found them with bad impellers. If your looking to save a little cash. Check and see that the impeller is not stoping the motor. If you have it out of the boat do a bench test to see if you can get the motor to spin. If the motor won't spin. Replace the whole pump.

It doesn't seem to have impeller. Has 2 chambers with a small piston like area in each. I assume they alternate in/out. I wasn't able to sperate the motor and pump section as didn't have the correct size hex key. Will try again tonight however I'm not holding much hope of it being fixable. Pretty sure the motor is dead.

got the pump & motor separated. the motor is cooked, all burnt out inside, looks like a whole new unit is required

temporarily rigged up another pump. all ok flow wise but seems to be little heat, barely more than lake temp if both hot and cold valves full on.

if have hot off get good flow but if have cold off get barely a trickle, more like a few drips really then when turn cold back on get a burst of steaming hot before reverting to virtually lake temp.

What's going on ? Hot feed seems poor. The hose gets nice and warm. Have checked & theres no sign of any filter or blockage at the valve end. Off the engine there's just a simple fitting so it can't be blocked can it ?

• 4 months later...

having been winter I wasn't in too much rush to fix the shower

however with spring close, I went out & brought a pump on Monday

10LPM Flomaster pump. Cheap as too, just NZ$91 all up. That's about US$56 :-)

Was so keen took yesterday off work and went skiing & boarding. PP showed water tmep of 50.2F so was better than I expected. The shower with a working pump is just brilliant. Spring on Friday, winters almost over and warmer water on the way, whooohoooo