Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone using a brake controller or otherwise?

UofM_MXZ

I am going to pick up the MXZ tomorrow and I am not sure if a brake controller would be a good idea or even a possibility to be honest. I know most boat trailers work on a surge type system but I also believe there are electronics for brakes, but possibly just for reverse. I know the boat is a bit heavier than the VLX, and I am towing with a Titan pro-4x with big tow package, rated at over 9K lbs. I guess I am hoping to find out if there is anything besides a standard 7K+ lb hitch I should be running to make the towing experience better.

The brake controller only works if you have electric brakes on your trailer. You adjust the gain on a slide lever that determines how much electric brake to apply as you press your vehicle brake pedal.

If you have surge brakes on the boat trailer, that should be all you need. They make a huge difference.

There is an electric lockout for the surge brake solenoid, so that you can back up. Since the surge brakes work on a sliding piston, the trailer doesn't know if the movement of the piston is from you slowing down (and the trailer weight pushing forward) or from you backing up. The solenoid usualy works off of the back-up lighting on your vehicle - put the vehicle in reverse and the solenoid locks out the ability of the brakes to actuate.

You will need to wire into this. Go to "E-Trailer" and look at some of their wiring schematics.

The other option is a lockout pin that you can put into a slot on the trailer tongue that keeps the brakes from engaging. OK for just backing into a space, but not real convenient for launching a boat.

Edited by Soon2BV

Thanks guys. I know the Titan will pull it. I just didn't know if something like air bags would be nice for the extra weight. I just want the towing to be a descent experience as I plan to tow it a few times 8 hrs or so.

Just remember that passenger and cargo weight reduce the tow capacity. The 9k tow rating is only accurate with an empty truck and no passengers.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

you'll be fine with the Titan.

You have no electric brakes on that trailer, so no need for a brake controller.

Just do a few 5-10mph "brake tests" before you depart and get on the highway, to ensure the brake lines have been bled and the surge brake are working properly. The boatmate I just bought had line that had NOT been bled, so I had no brakes on the trailer.

You'll know if the brankes arent working... when you go to brake hard all of your tires will be chirping... with your foot to the floorboard.... tying to stop the weight.

Outside of the obvious feeling of the trailer pushing the truck, another sanity check if your brakes are working is to check if they are warm/hot after a few stops. Carefully touch the hub with the brakes and they the drum itself. If you have disks, the disk can be really hot, so test by carefully touching the caliper instead, then the disk if the caliper is cold.

You can test the brakes a lot easier and safer. Just don't plug the trailer connector in and try to reverse slowly with boat attached. The surge brakes should kick in and stop you from backing up. Then you can test the solenoid by connecting the plug and try reversing again. The surge brakes should NOT come on as the solenoid should be energized from your reverse light and you should be able to back up with no issues.

With drum brakes you should do this once in a while to get the pad adjuster to advance as well. At least on drums I have had.

the trailer has 4 wheel disc brakes. I was wondering about air bags (just a $300) bolt in type to level out the truck. If anyone has done this? It doesn't sag much with the vlx, I am just not sure with the new weight if it will.

My drum brake trailers do not stop the truck from backing. Disc brake trailers will prevent you from going in reverse.

Another thing to do is increase your tire pressure in your rear tires. Tire ratings are at max pressure, not many people run max pressure due to ride quality, and you don't really need it for an empty truck. Crank up the pressure before the tow and it will reduce bounce and sway and keep your tires lower temp. Do the same on the trailer tires, max those out.

I don't know what the difference between the Titan and Armada would be, but the rear suspension in our Armada is softer for ride, and the boat really sags it. The air bags bring it back to level nicely.

Edited by Falko

We tow a 20' enclosed car hauler with a Titan, tongue weight around 800lbs total weight around 7500lbs and it did sag the truck a lot, which meant the front end was light and steering was affected. I would suggest installing the air bags.

Once we put airbags in and fill to about 25-30lbs, and we also tow with xl rated P rated truck tires at max pressure and trailer tires at max (stated on sidewall) pressure. We've done several 12-14 hour days this way with 2 drivers and no excitement and it's a joy to drive compared to a lot of other peoples rigs I've driven. No chasing the steering all over the road when a truck passes, no constant bouncing over bumps.

Edited by JasonRMorrow

Don't make any modifications to your truck until you tow it. If the truck sags to much for your liking then add air bags or different shocks. You wont have any trouble with your truck though.

You'll probably need one of these http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Towing-and-Cargo-Management/Trailer-Wiring-Adapter/_/N-25wp

it's a 7 pin to 5 pin trailer adapter. It allows you to back up.

The trailer should also come with one of these http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1256 in case someone steals your adapter and you need to back up. Keep the adapter in your truck with some tape to help hold it in place.

You can back up without the above adapters you just can't back up up hill.

thanks! I tow right now...the VLX and it does fine. Like I said, I am just curious about the extra weight. It weighs quite a bit more, I think 600-900 lbs loaded than the vlx which is the reason for the questions.

thanks! I tow right now...the VLX and it does fine. Like I said, I am just curious about the extra weight. It weighs quite a bit more, I think 600-900 lbs loaded than the vlx which is the reason for the questions.

Tongue weight is supposed to be 10-15% of the total weight of the boat and trailer. So you're only adding ~75lbs or so.

• Like 2

the trailer has 4 wheel disc brakes. I was wondering about air bags (just a $300) bolt in type to level out the truck. If anyone has done this? It doesn't sag much with the vlx, I am just not sure with the new weight if it will.

Tongue weight should be very little difference between VLX and MXZ. IMHO Probably no need for air bags.

• Like 1

I actually just measured the rear before and after and it didn't sag at all with the vlx. FTW! I guess I have a real truck.

Ya I knew it, haha that pro 4x has a nice setup.

if you drive a real truck then a 7,000 pound boat won't cause the hitch to sag.

:rofl:

(shirt off, Sperry's on - bring it)

I think my truck is about as real as it gets. I guess I could add a spring and make it a 3500...SANY0049.jpg