Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Locks

River Rat

How do you guys lock your trailer? I thought about the gorilla ball lock, but I don't think that will fit around the square hitch--it looks like something that would fit a lighter duty trailer. I am looking for something that will lock the hitch as opposed to locking the wheels. My ride sits on an SMP single axle trailer. Any ideas/sources?

I put a master lock through the locking pin hole. I figure if someone wants it enough to cut through it, they will just replace the pivot hitch to drive it away.

Yeah, I also put a locking pin through the coupler. Another back up I have is a key locking pin for the swing-away pin that allows me to release the tongue and put the locking pin back in so they couldn't even put it back with a temporary pin.

db, I don't understand. Can you elaborate? Picture? Sorry a little slow.

I use the DuraSafe Swing-Away Tongue Lock. I attached the link (I hope) for you to see. I use this so nobody can steal my release pin and as the added safety measure if I leave the trailer parked, I remove the pin, swing the tongue, and then replace the pin, locked of course so they can't just put something there temporarily since the pin will be in the way. It works great. Hope that clears it up but let me know if you need more. I can get pictures in a couple of days for you if you need them.

Swing-Away Lock

Great ideas--but what about us guys that don't have the swing away tongue??

You can lock through the locking pin hole, get a ball lock or run a cable through your tires.

Great ideas--but what about us guys that don't have the swing away tongue??

I also use this by Trimax just to lock the coupler. I have a matching key set for the coupler and the receiver which makes it nice and you can find that on the same website. The item in the post above is heavy duty and is a great item. I just wanted something that I use when I tow and when I leave it....in other words, no extra things to worry about bringing or storing.

Coupler Lock

Thanks DB.

Man, I've already got a key ring that's outrageous. I keep duplicate sets, one in the boat, one in the truck:

1. boat key

2. hitch lock key

3. masterlock key - as shown above

4. glovebox key

5. perko rearlocker key

6. masterlock key - for heavy chain through both wheels when parked

Thanks DB.

Man, I've already got a key ring that's outrageous. I keep duplicate sets, one in the boat, one in the truck:

1. boat key

2. hitch lock key

4. glovebox key

5. perko rearlocker key

Don't forget the key for the spare tire- I always put an aircraft cable thru the spare around the trailer, You don't want that to walk off at the launch ramp.

How do you guys lock your trailer? I thought about the gorilla ball lock, but I don't think that will fit around the square hitch--it looks like something that would fit a lighter duty trailer. I am looking for something that will lock the hitch as opposed to locking the wheels. My ride sits on an SMP single axle trailer. Any ideas/sources?

Dude I have just the thing for ya. My Bu also sits on an SMP trailer and it has the UFP 2" receiver. Here is a link about the lock I bought.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Tr..._Lock/index.asp

Dude I have just the thing for ya. My Bu also sits on an SMP trailer and it has the UFP 2" receiver. Here is a link about the lock I bought.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Tr..._Lock/index.asp

That's what I am looking for--thanks a million!! Ordered and on the way!

Thanks DB.

1. boat key

2. hitch lock key

4. glovebox key

5. perko rearlocker key

I bought a set of Master locks at HDepot. There were 4 that operate off the same key. I use one to go through the locking pin hole, one for my bed extender, one for the receiver pin, and one through the bottom of the pivot pin when I use the pivot. I also have a bike lock throuch one of the holes in the pivot. Take a look at in my gallery to see a pic of the lock. It's just the right size for the locking pin hole.

Thanks DB.

1. boat key

2. hitch lock key

4. glovebox key

5. perko rearlocker key

I bought a set of Master locks at HDepot. There were 4 that operate off the same key. I use one to go through the locking pin hole, one for my bed extender, one for the receiver pin, and one through the bottom of the pivot pin when I use the pivot. I also have a bike lock throuch one of the holes in the pivot. Take a look at in my gallery to see a pic of the lock. It's just the right size for the locking pin hole.

These are the shizzle...

http://www.guardianhitch.com/g44.htm

The local dealer swears by them...

Picking one up soon...so I can stop futzing with the other crap I was using.

Dave

never thought to lock the swing away portion. in fact, I always just left the pin in place and used a lock on the coupler. Never worried about having the pin stolen, but this makes me think twice!