Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Boat Purchase Advice!

EDUBB

We are looking at purchasing are first V-Drive. Right now we are looking at 4 boats. First boat is a 2013 Malibu VLX for $79K. The boat is loaded with a 409 engine. The second boat is a 2014 Axis A-20 for $61K. The boat has about everything and already has PnP installed. The 3rd boat is a 2014 SkiSupreme V226 for $66. Not as loaded as the first 2. The last boat is a MB Tomcat 21 for $72K.

We are a family of 4 on the boat most of the time with friends coming once in awhile. I am leaning towards the VLX due to a good amount of room, better resale value, better engine as the other 3 have 350's. The main two things we will be doing is surfing and wakeboarding with a small amount of kneeboarding.

My wife wants to go the cheaper way with the Axis A-20 for the only reason being cost. We've demo'd all 4 boats and all feel great given the short amount of time we got to spend in the boats. The SkiSupreme felt the cheapest and had the least amount of options but it was the biggest boat. The A-20 is smaller but had about everything you would need. The Malibu would need ballast added with the PnP.

We plan on keeping the boat for 5-10 years so i want reliabilty and re-sale value but also something that is very good for surfing as we like to do that the most.

I would rate the dealers from 1-10 with 10 being the best as : Malibu,Axis 9 MB 6 and SkiSupreme 4. They are all within 75 minutes drive.

What do you think? Just need some advice from people to help us make this very expensive decision.

Thanks

EDUBB

P.S. We live in high altitude therefore my desire to have the 409 engine. We are 4,500 feet above sea level

Edited by EDUBB

In a 21ft boat I think you will find the new 350 to be quite a good reliable engine for the platform. The VLX seems to be priced high. I bought mine new, 2012 granted but I paid more than 20K less than they are asking for your 2013 and it is pretty loaded. The MB would be great if the price was better as well. I am not sure what part of the US you live in, but to be honest all of the prices seem high except the Axis which seems pretty much on par. I still paid less than the Axis for a VLX so I guess for me that is why it seems high. I think the VLX will have the best resale and appeal. The 409 engine is a great one though in the VLX, way more power than you would ever "need".

The VLX stickers for $110,000 MSRP. The SkiSupreme and MB Tomcat they are not willing to come down on those prices. The Axis I might be able to get them down another grand or two.

What was the MSRP for your VLX? How is the surfing behind your VLX?

Edited by EDUBB

I guess if 110 is the sticker then that is a descent price. I just think $110K for a 21ft boat is crazy. Again, that is just my opinion. The VLX surfs well when properly weighted. The axis in the high 50's is a good price depending on options. I think the VLX will be the "nicest boat" out of all of them, but I think the MB is nice as well. I haven't rode is a supreme since 06' so I can't really comment on how nice they are. Again, i didn't know what the msrp was/is but I guess the engine adds a lot to the price. With the 2014's out though I would think you could get them down another grand or two if you show up with checkbook in hand.

I agree the $110K seems crazy. Never thought I would even consider that amount of money on a boat. The sticks lists the base price of $74.5K with $35.5K in options for the VLX.

I mean the motor will be expensive for sure, I would imagine a 10K option. If that is important to you and your family then go for it. I do have the 350 in my boat and I find it to have plenty of power. Not that I wouldn't like a 409 as well, or more.

To get the best wave, all of those boats will require extra weight. None of them will surf well with just factory weight.

If the ONLY thing you are looking at is surf performance, the supreme is going to be the best of that bunch, possibly followed by the MB (assuming the MB has the cav plate... if it doesn't its surf wake WILL be washy). That's purely based on how nice of a surf wave you can make behind each.

The SG VLX will make a good wave, but requires a ton of weight. Like literally a ton. Actually more like two tons.

I'm not going to address the axis as a surf boat because I doubt seriously that it can even be in the running for surfing.

For wakeboarding, it's my understanding the supreme will be terrible. The MB will need speed to produce a clean wake on both sides. 21+ for sure. The VLX will have the most beginner friendly slow speed wake, and is also scalable with weight. The axis should be pretty good, too, and react to weight like the vlx.

The thing about the 409 is that it makes it's power up high in the rev range. You'd likely have a higher top speed than with the monsoon, but maybe not more power out of the hole.

Depending on how the boats are propped, you may not need more than that 350, but you WILL appreciate more power at 4500. Is an LS3 on the table with any of the boats?

Edited by shawndoggy

Edubb- the 409 isnt much more power than the 350. the only real area where the 409 outperforms is when you are running 4000-5000RPMs+. For this reason, many folks are not considering the 409 worth the $6k upgrade price. Roughly 5-10% perceived more power only when you have the throttle burried.

On the other hand, folks consider the 6.2L 450hp well worth the price comparatively.

If your price range is 60-80k, surfing primary activity... consider an Axis A22 or A24 with the 450hp and Surfgate.

You could also consider a Malibu 21/23Vride with 450hp, but no surf system for those.

No rush, you have all winter. Buy a boat now and it sits all winter and you are paying for storage, insurance and your warranty is wasting away. Order what you want now, exact colors, options, vinyl... with a March/April delivery.

wow same post seconds apart^^^^

Edub- Shawn's recommendation of the LS3 = the 450hp I referenced. common theme here....450hp.

Not sure I share Shawn's low assessment of the Axis Surfgate... I think it"ll be the same as the Malibus.

wow same post seconds apart^^^^

Edub- Shawn's recommendation of the LS3 = the 450hp I referenced. common theme here....450hp.

Not sure I share Shawn's low assessment of the Axis Surfgate... I think it"ll be the same as the Malibus.

Not low assessment of axis surfgate, just a20, seeing as it's so small with a flat bottomed hull and not much freeboard. The vtx hasn't exactly been stellar as a surf boat either (maybe the best xover vdrive ever, but that's not what the OP is looking for). The A20 just isn't a boat that gets mentioned much in a surfing conversation.

Very curious about a24 with LS3 myself.

Edited by shawndoggy

this is just my opinion but here are my thoughts.

1. Cost will be insignificant once you are on the water and utilizing the boat. its not a purchase you want to look back on and say 'should have'....

2. I looked hard into the MB. not impressed for the cost and what you get...plus, my dealer in Michigan is not very well known.

3. Axis is a knock down version of a Malibu...resale will not be there. 'Nobody searches ebay for an Axis boat'

4. VLX is AWESOME! it is extremely roomy for the size of the boat, we regularly put 10 in our boat and it is not bad at all!

this is just my opinion but here are my thoughts.

1. Cost will be insignificant once you are on the water and utilizing the boat. its not a purchase you want to look back on and say 'should have'....

2. I looked hard into the MB. not impressed for the cost and what you get...plus, my dealer in Michigan is not very well known.

3. Axis is a knock down version of a Malibu...resale will not be there. 'Nobody searches ebay for an Axis boat'

4. VLX is AWESOME! it is extremely roomy for the size of the boat, we regularly put 10 in our boat and it is not bad at all!

Axises hold their value well. Axises cost more than 50% more than what they did when released. Axis is 5th largest brand by volume. There are a LOT of people searching for an Axis.

• Like 2

i'd drop the A20 out of your options and replace it with the A22. it's about 10k more, but you get more and better boat. I know before surf gate they were tough to dial, not sure how they are after. The wakeboard wake is one the better ones out there

i'd drop the A20 out of your options and replace it with the A22. it's about 10k more, but you get more and better boat. I know before surf gate they were tough to dial, not sure how they are after. The wakeboard wake is one the better ones out there

+1. A20 won't resell easily. Only people who want 20' boats ski or need it short to fit in a garage. Anybody riding wants something bigger.

The VLX price includes the trailer as does all the prices listed. I appreciate the responses.

It is such a hard decision. The Axis A-20 seemed like a good surf wave but it was small. The other thing that concerned me was the re-sale value as you don't see many 20 foot boats on the lakes around. It would be just fine when its the 4 of us but very crowed with 6 or more ppl.

Forgive me as I am new to this but it appears that any boat you buy will have to be weighted heavy for surfing. Whether it is a Malibu, MB, Axis or any of the other brands. I doubt there is a great surf boat that has stock ballast.

Like I'm sure many of you had to go through when buying a boat is the wife's approval and to her cheaper and smaller is better. I guess I'd rather make right choice then go with just the anology of cheap and smaller.

Yes they will all fit in the garage. We have a 9 foot tall door and it is 38 feet deep. Enough room for the boat and golf cart.

Anymore discussion about the prices of the boats? Only one comment that they all seem high exceptt he A-20?

Not sure I'd worry about a20 resale. If they're like the vtx, pretty good resale (at least around here) due to there being fewer of them. To some degree, the bigger boats r becoming a dime a dozen. Everyone has them, so more competition on resale (but I guess also a bigger market to sell into).

Shawn,

I'm getting a little old to Wakeboard (40) but my kids will be doing that. The surfing is more for the wife and me. Surfing is just easier on my body. We live in Colorado.

Yes open to anything

First V-Drive

Skill level Medium on other peoples boats

Edited by EDUBB