Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What kind of engine oil do you use on your wakesetter?

jmiller2496

I would have gone with what alll these guys are recommending ^^^ till about a week ago. After all, its what Indmar and everyone specs for the engines. And may of these engines are seing 2000 - 3000+hrs. No debating that.

Then Shawndoggy posted up a link to and Indmar analysis reference oil consumption during the 50hr intervals. UNDISPUTED PROOF that there is oil breakdown as you start to pass 30hrs....and that breakdown turns into oil consumption. Thats why these guys are seeing 1-2qts oil consupmtion on new 2012 and 2013 350s as they approach 50hrs on that oil cycle.

Perhaps its because our engines run 2000-4000rpms as we use them. The V8s in our cars rarely go higher than 2500rpms. Thats were the breakdown occurs.

So, if I know that conventional oil starts to break down past 30hrs use, how could I continue to put regular conv oil in a boat?????

My 550hp specs 5w30 Synthec, so thats what I run.

I don't think that was Indmar's point, Ryan, or at least that's not how I read it. I believe the point was that for heavily ballasted applications you are better off with an early oil change interval. FWIW, I tried the NAPA 15/50 syn on my last oil change (all prior had been 15/40 rotella T), and still saw some consumption starting at about hour 35.

PCM recommends Castrol HD40 straightweight in the 5.7s for "heavily ballasted applications." I haven't tried that yet. I think I'm just going to start changing at 40 hours instead of 50 and quit worrying about it too much.

HAs anyone had their oil tested? and would that test show that the oil was/had "broken down"?

I have always changed the boat at 50 hours, but we run our utility tractors for 100 hour between oil changes, and they are under stress pretty much all the time the are being run. pulling either a disc, rotovator, sprayer/PTO, etc.

Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Oil & Wix filter.

Yes, I sampled my oil the last 2 years.... I believe 2011 was around 85 hours on the oil, and 2012 was around 100. I got the TBN sample in addition to the normal testing. According to the tests, wear levels were low, and lots of life left in the oil. They were recommending a 125 hour change interval in the future based on current usage. I only put 50 hours on this year due to a new baby at the end of June, so I didn't even bother sampling it this year.

I've also heard that part of the 50 hour interval is due to "moisture" in the oil since the boat is always used in a wet environment.... My samples had 0 traces of moisture in the oil.

Sampling was done by Blackstone Labs.

The moisture issue is why diesel and marine oils have robust anti corrosion inhibitors in the respective additive packs. Any diesel oil that meets the specs of Cummins/Chevy or the like are fine in a boat.

I've ran a 10-40w in my Mastercraft for years. Same small block engine (350 GM). Why the change to 15-40????

So on hot days, and the engine running hot, the viscosity will be a little (5 viscous) leaner.

Is this such a big deal???

I beleive the big thing is to change every 30-40 hours. Keep the impurities out (those that pass the filter), and keep the bearings from scoring/ galling....