Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What kind of engine oil do you use on your wakesetter?

jmiller2496

Do you guys use marine oil or just use regular engine oil? Will you change based on hours or just annually? What brands of oil are good, bad, good value, etc...?

Thanks,

jon

I use 15w40 Chevron Delo diesel oil. I change every 25-30 hours which for me is at the end of the season and once mid season. IMO more oil changes the better, especially with the high load/long durations these motors run.

In 15-40 I see they are all for Diesel engines. Are that acceptable or what's the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Diesel engines require more additives, like zinc and other stuff, hence the HD terminology/designation. You want to use the same oil that diesels require...which is the 15-40. Unless you have say a LS3 or LSA which you'll use 5-30.

Edited by happypappy

Penzoil 15-40 every 50 hours since the 25 hour break in change. Coming up on oil change #8...gone through a few gallons this year having putting on 350 hours since January 31, 2013

Do you guys use marine oil or just use regular engine oil? Will you change based on hours or just annually? What brands of oil are good, bad, good value, etc...?

Thanks,

jon

Choose your brand, doesnt really matter as long as its a quality brand that meets the recommended specs. Marine grade oil does have its benefit, like higher levels of rust and moisture inhibitors. yes, change based on hours, but its also a good idea to change at layup. Used oil can be corrosive.

Just an FYI, "HD" if for High Detergent, not heavy duty.

Edited by MLA

I would have gone with what alll these guys are recommending ^^^ till about a week ago. After all, its what Indmar and everyone specs for the engines. And may of these engines are seing 2000 - 3000+hrs. No debating that.

Then Shawndoggy posted up a link to and Indmar analysis reference oil consumption during the 50hr intervals. UNDISPUTED PROOF that there is oil breakdown as you start to pass 30hrs....and that breakdown turns into oil consumption. Thats why these guys are seeing 1-2qts oil consupmtion on new 2012 and 2013 350s as they approach 50hrs on that oil cycle.

Perhaps its because our engines run 2000-4000rpms as we use them. The V8s in our cars rarely go higher than 2500rpms. Thats were the breakdown occurs.

So, if I know that conventional oil starts to break down past 30hrs use, how could I continue to put regular conv oil in a boat?????

My 550hp specs 5w30 Synthec, so thats what I run.

I would have gone with what alll these guys are recommending ^^^ till about a week ago. After all, its what Indmar and everyone specs for the engines. And may of these engines are seing 2000 - 3000+hrs. No debating that.

Then Shawndoggy posted up a link to and Indmar analysis reference oil consumption during the 50hr intervals. UNDISPUTED PROOF that there is oil breakdown as you start to pass 30hrs....and that breakdown turns into oil consumption. Thats why these guys are seeing 1-2qts oil consupmtion on new 2012 and 2013 350s as they approach 50hrs on that oil cycle.

Perhaps its because our engines run 2000-4000rpms as we use them. The V8s in our cars rarely go higher than 2500rpms. Thats were the breakdown occurs.

So, if I know that conventional oil starts to break down past 30hrs use, how could I continue to put regular conv oil in a boat?????

My 550hp specs 5w30 Synthec, so thats what I run.

Was the study to show that conventional oil breaks down at X hours and syn doesnt? Or was it a study that just showed that oil in general, breaks down at X hours? Does Indmar recommend Syn specifically? If not, do they specifically advise against its use? Same with PCM since thats what used my CC?

Synthetic has been found to not be the best oil for season-use engines such as boats and custom cars. It will drip off the crucial parts long before conventional oil does. This leaves engine parts like bearing, somewhat dry and un-lubricated upon initial start up. Ive never experienced an engine breakdown due to conventional oil, but i did have to re-ring an engine due to mobil-1 syn use.

Chevron Delo 15w40 and I check it every 10 hours. I don't get to worked about having to add a little oil every now and then...

Never had an engine problem with conventional oil...

210,000 miles on a 01 Chevy Tahoe

147,000 miles on a 96 Dodge Ram

800 hours on a 1997 Wakesetter

I ran Penzoil conventional in all of these...and never had an issue other than having extra money in my pocket b/c I don't buy into the whole synthetic philosphy for the engines that I have owned. Not saying its bad - just think and don't need it and my proof is better than Indmar who is hegdeing their warranty claims by telling us all to run synthetic.

I use 15w40 Chevron Delo diesel oil. I change every 25-30 hours which for me is at the end of the season and once mid season. IMO more oil changes the better, especially with the high load/long durations these motors run.

What I use

I don't change it mid season because I only put about 40 hours on a year.

MLA-

Was the study to show that conventional oil breaks down at X hours and syn doesnt? Or was it a study that just showed that oil in general, breaks down at X hours?

It shows that regular conv oil breaks down past 30hrs.... we assume its regular conventional oil because thats what they spec. There wasnt a separate test done for syn oils.

Does Indmar recommend Syn specifically? NO. If not, do they specifically advise against its use? NO, you just have to use an oil thats meets/exceeds their spec oil, which is regular conventional oil. Same with PCM since thats what used my CC?

Synthetic has been found to not be the best oil for season-use engines such as boats and custom cars. It will drip off the crucial parts long before conventional oil does. I dont buy this, the sticky-ness of the oil relates to voscosity, weight and grade, This leaves engine parts like bearing, somewhat dry and un-lubricated upon initial start up. Ive never experienced an engine breakdown due to conventional oil, but i did have to re-ring an engine due to mobil-1 syn use. I dont buy this, its undisputable that syn oils last longer under extreme conditions, less prone to breakdown.

Again, fully acknowlege regular conventional oils have worked well for a long time for a lot of folks.

What I am saying is that with proof that regular oils are breaking down past 30hrs, isnt synth a better choice?

MLA-

Again, fully acknowlege regular conventional oils have worked well for a long time for a lot of folks.

What I am saying is that with proof that regular oils are breaking down past 30hrs, isnt synth a better choice?

Its no secret that the additives in oil, whether its conventional or synthetic, will break down over time due to conditions of use. I guess what I am asking is, was this a study putting conventional against synthetic, or just a study that shows conventional breaking down? In not arguing the findings in the study, especially since I have not read it, but simply trying to understand the context of the study, as it lead you to swear off conventional and switch to syn.

Chevron Delo 15w40 and I check it every 10 hours. I don't get to worked about having to add a little oil every now and then...

Never had an engine problem with conventional oil...

210,000 miles on a 01 Chevy Tahoe

147,000 miles on a 96 Dodge Ram

800 hours on a 1997 Wakesetter

I ran Penzoil conventional in all of these...and never had an issue other than having extra money in my pocket b/c I don't buy into the whole synthetic philosphy for the engines that I have owned. Not saying its bad - just think and don't need it and my proof is better than Indmar who is hegdeing their warranty claims by telling us all to run synthetic.

I agree. Had over 250,000 miles on an old S-10, using only conventional oil. Pulled the engine to replace clutch, removed pan and mic-ed cylinder walls...after 200,000+ still good. IMHO synthetic is great in high performance engines, turbos, etc. due in large part to the increased heat generated.

I can't quite get the point Indmar and others where they recommend synthetic, but recommend oil changes at the same interval as conventional oils. Cause I thought one of the benefits of synthetic oils was you could run it longer in your engine.

ANd while there is this ongoing debate about the best oil, oil filters are typically neglected. ANd since most engine oils are the same quality, oil filters are not. FRAM, Pennzoil are 2 of the cheapest oil filters you can put on your engine.

Its no secret that the additives in oil, whether its conventional or synthetic, will break down over time due to conditions of use. I guess what I am asking is, was this a study putting conventional against synthetic, or just a study that shows conventional breaking down? In not arguing the findings in the study, especially since I have not read it, but simply trying to understand the context of the study, as it lead you to swear off conventional and switch to syn.

Ya I am with you, I was shocked. from what i read... you have Indmar admitting that they tested and that their engines burn oil past 30hrs...even brand new engines...as the oil is breaking down and being burnt. That alone.... if what they reported is accurate... is evidence enough for me that conventional oil is not up to the task past 30hrs. if oil being burnt and broke down, its not lubricating as it should. Syn oils are MUCH more resistant to breakdown... they can withstand much high temps and abouse compartively.

It was in that same thread where lots of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 owners were chiming in reporting of having to add 1+ qt of oil as they approach 50hrs. I am fairly sure all of those reporting were 5.7L 350 owners....and maybe a couple 8.1Ls. No 6.0L or 6.2L owners reported oil consumption IIRC.

So this wouldnt be an Indmar specific issue, it'd apply to all of them.