Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you prop your ride!!!!!!!

hotrodbowtie

2006 Vride @ 400ft alt. monsoon 340, Acme 537 13" diam. 16 pitch, wakeboarding & wakesurfing. top speed 51.3mph dont know what the RPM's were.

You confirm that with GPS? I think the speed is too high... maybe 47MPH

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D-GOOSE

• hotrodbowtie

• andyb

• millertw

Response Lxi LS1 with SSP installed. I think the SSP is taking at least two off the top...

Acme 13 X 12 = 46 mph @ 5400 RPMs

Acme 13 X 12.625 = 48 mph @ 5200 RPMs

With top end being very important to me I'm considering trying the Acme 13 X 13 in the hope it would drop the WOT rpms to around 5k and push me 50 mph. I'm going to back the plate off a little too.

Here are a few numbers.

98 Sunsetter VLX Monsoon

OJ 14 x 18 5,000 RPM 45 mph w/ 2 people

Acme CNC #537 13.5 x 16 5,200 RPM and hits rev limiter 42 mph w/ 2 people

I just tore up the 537 and I am going to try a Acme CNC #801, 3 blade 13.5 x 17.5, I had great performance with the 3 blade CNC on a Nautique so I'm going to give it a go.

2005 vRide with ACME 537 prop. Top speed of 44 mph @ 5200 RPMs at 1200 feet above sea level. I can't recall the what the RPMs were at any other speeds right now, so I'll edit this post later.

Ran a back-to-back test on the Lake today, comparing the stock 449 (13 x 12.625) with my new 425 (13 x 13).

Boat - 2005 Response LX with Hammerhead 383 (400hp). I'm at around 300 feet above sea level. The RPM table below shows the ACME 449 prop followed by ACME 425:

43km/h - 2520 - 2460 - down 60 rpm;

46km/h - 2680 - 2620 - down 60 rpm;

49km/h - 2850 - 2770 - down 80 rpm;

52km/h - 3020 - 2940 - down 80 rpm;

55km/h - 3210 - 3110 - down 100 rpm;

58km/h - 3420 - 3280 - down 140 rpm;

WOT - 5320 - 5300 - down 20 rpm;

Top speed - 81.6 - 82.2 - up 0.6 km/h.

The stock 449 would just bounce off the rev limiter; the 425 doesn't and across the board savings in gas at set speeds will certainly help. The boat seems only minutely less responsive out of the hole - I'll get used to that but the 425 prop would appear to be ideal at least for slalom & tricks. I want to try a 50 metre jumper before putting the final stamp on it.

This was the first outing with Mobil 1 synthetic in the sump. The Hammy seems not to hunt as much (less lumpy) oil pressure is up around 80 on the dial and it is quieter. It still freaks me out when you can get only 3 litres out of the sump at oil change. This time I put 4 litres back - the level is higher up the dipstick.

This was the first outing with Mobil 1 synthetic in the sump. The Hammy seems not to hunt as much (less lumpy) oil pressure is up around 80 on the dial and it is quieter. It still freaks me out when you can get only 3 litres out of the sump at oil change. This time I put 4 litres back - the level is higher up the dipstick.

Good afternoon.

I was reading your prop post. I also a 2005 RLXi with the 383. I didn’t even know you could get the HH in the LX. I am very tempted to go with the 13 x 13 prop although the LXI is a bit heavier so maybe the stock 13 x 12.625 is still the right wheel for my application. I guess you don't know till you try.

Also, you mentioned that after going to Mobil 1 that it is quieter. My motor is certainly plenty loud with some unique sounds. Since this is the only 383 I have been in, I am just not sure what constitutes normal sounds. What oil were you running before this? I am actually going to be changing the oil tonight for the first time (I purchased the boat this spring) and am curious about your statement of only getting 3 ltrs out of it. Was the oil level low before you changed it or is there just that much being held up in the engine? I am planning on putting in Penzoil HD 40. But it sounds like Mobile 1 may be the way to go.

Thanks

Hi thealy:

Glad to offer some suggestions. There has been a lot of discussion on other threads - check here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....head+oil+change

Wakegirl's suggestion had me jack up the trailer to bring the drain to the sump's lowest point and I left it overnight to get everything possible out. I am suspicious that the mark indicated on the dipstick means you put slightly less oil in the sump and that concerns me heaps in the long term. My draining tray collected just 3 litres including the oil filter. I put 4 litres of Mobil 1 back in & the oil level is above the max line on the stick. The Indmar manual lists capacity as 5.25 litres including filter so that must mean there are 1.25 litres of old oil still in the sump - something I find totally unacceptable but I don't know how to resolve it.

I've been using Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 mineral oil up until now (116 hours) as advised by Malibu Australia. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...ntentId=6007661

Malibu Aus reckoned synthetic oil was OK after 100 hours bedding things in. I have run Mobil 1 in my LS1 Holden Clubsport since new and it gets a harder workout than the boat. From here I intend to run another 20 or so hours on this fill then put another sump full of Mobil 1 in to eliminate any residual stuff.

Still don't know how to resolve the level problem but I'm hoping that this time at least 4 litres of oil drains out as it doesn't burn anything between fills.

It may be the extra liter of oil in the sump that seems to have quietened things down and the Hammy has better oil pressure & is definitely less lumpy at idle. I will be really upset if I've done any damage by keeping the oil level to the mark on the dipstick.

This is work in progress for me too.

Sorry thealy forgot about the prop.

What do you use your LXi for?

If you don't run ballast & a tower then I guess you use your boat like I do. In which case the 425 should work well on your boat too. Why I bought it though is that the 449 (13 x 12.625) hit the rev limiter at WOT - the 425 (13 x 13) does not (by about 20 rpm only!). If the 449 in your slightly heavier boat (greater wind resistance etc) does not hit the limiter, then I would stick with it. The 425 is a little, little bit less responsive but gives a tiny increase in top speed at 20 revs less. Not much in the scheme of things but I don't hit the limiter - mission accomplished.

If you use your boat for <wkbdg> you are going the wrong way.

Hope this is some help.

Andy

Well here is the table so far.

I really need to fill in lots of holes in the data. If you guys could post some of the intermediate data it would probably be helpful. There are also lots of models with no data.

Hope this works

Tom Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

props.xls

Hi Hotrod:

I've got info on propping my Response LX. How do you update the spreadsheet?

Ran a back-to-back test on the Lake today, comparing the stock 449 (13 x 12.625) with my new 425 (13 x 13).

Boat - 2005 Response LX with Hammerhead 383 (400hp). I'm at around 300 feet above sea level. The RPM table below shows the ACME 449 prop followed by ACME 425:

43km/h - 2520 - 2460 - down 60 rpm;

46km/h - 2680 - 2620 - down 60 rpm;

49km/h - 2850 - 2770 - down 80 rpm;

52km/h - 3020 - 2940 - down 80 rpm;

55km/h - 3210 - 3110 - down 100 rpm;

58km/h - 3420 - 3280 - down 140 rpm;

WOT - 5320 - 5300 - down 20 rpm;

Top speed - 81.6 - 82.2 - up 0.6 km/h.

The stock 449 would just bounce off the rev limiter; the 425 doesn't and across the board savings in gas at set speeds will certainly help. The boat seems only minutely less responsive out of the hole - I'll get used to that but the 425 prop would appear to be ideal at least for slalom & tricks. I want to try a 50 metre jumper before putting the final stamp on it.

• 2 weeks later...

1999 Sunsetter LXi

Monsoon II 325

3-blade, 13 x 11.5

Acme 525

Its not on the boat yet, but when it arrives and the boat is fixed I will take down some numbers (speed, RPM, etc...) We usually run around 300ft.