Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you prop your ride!!!!!!!

hotrodbowtie

Here goes nothing,

I want to start building a propeller database that will help everyone see what others are using and what may be possible. This could be usefull when traveling to a new lake, moving, or just changing activities. Lets hear everyone chime in on what they have try to be acurate using gps so data will be the best it can be. Here is the info needed, and in order if possible to make the data tracking easier.

Bu model/engine/altitude tested/# of blades/diameter/pitch/rpms/speed/brand and model of prop/ and lastly, what do you use your ride for (boarding/surfing/skiing/footing/cruising/tubing.....)

I would like to set standards at 20mph, 35mph and max speed.

Be patient and I will try to keep everyone updated with an excel chart with the results from time to time

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D-GOOSE

• hotrodbowtie

• andyb

• Festivus

Bu model/ 03 VLX

engine/ monsoon 335

altitude tested/ 100ft

# of blades/ 4

diameter/ 13.5

pitch/ 17.5

rpms/ I will have to look next time out.

speed/ 20

brand and model of prop/ acme 381

2000 Sunsetter LXi

Monsoon II (325)

3-blade, 13.5 x 11.5

We run it at altitudes ranging from 500' to 4000'

I'll grab some RPMs at speeds this spring when we get going!

2003 RLX

335 Monsoon

1,500' elevation

ACME stock CNC 3-blade

13X12 (515)

?,??? RPM = 20 MPH

3,500 RPM = 35 MPH

5,050 RPM = 46.5 MPH, GPS, WOT

Slalom/barefoot/other.

Edited by VinRLX

2005 RLXi with HH

Stock 13x12 3 blade

0 - 30 4.0 seconds.

WOT = 5300 (Rev limiter hit) 51mph (GPS)

Slalom and Footing

900'

I want to test going to a 13x13 to see if I get more speed and lower my WOT RPMs.

01 SLXI

Monsoon II

1000' MSL

13X11.5 OJ XMP

WOT 4825rpm and 44mph gps

36mph= 3600rpm

Slalom, boarding, occasional sad excuse for barefooting, tubing

2000 Response

365 HP Hammerhead

360' Elevation

5200 RPM WOT

50 MPH With GPS & CVP 13 x 13 Stainless 3 Blade

49 MPH With GPS & OJ 13 x 13 Stainless 3 Blade

Speeds Are Without The SSP

Just a quick observation. The xmp from oj is a real stump puller but lacks a bit on top end. Fine by me since I didn't buy my bu to be a go fast boat. I am more than happy to trade a few mphs off of the WOT to work the boat less hard in the watersports speeds. Not to mention hw smooth and quiet this prop is.

Just a quick observation. The xmp from oj is a real stump puller but lacks a bit on top end. Fine by me since I didn't buy my bu to be a go fast boat. I am more than happy to trade a few mphs off of the WOT to work the boat less hard in the watersports speeds. Not to mention hw smooth and quiet this prop is.

Thanks I was going to ask how you liked the xmp.

I'm going to guess all devoted skiers know their rpm and speed and most wakeboarders know how to set PP at their preferred mph?

Edited by Greg_S

Thanks guys this is providing some good data and when I get a bit more I will start posting. As everyone is at the lake please try to get the other stats to complete the info for all speeds and rpm's.

Lets hear from some more sunsetters sunscape's and wakesetters!!!

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

I think a ton of people would like a database like this. I would personally like a little more info geared towards boarding (since thats what I do). Maybe more info on ballast, gear and people weight, pulling speed, rpms at pulling speed and time from dead stop to pulling speed.

I think a ton of people would like a database like this. I would personally like a little more info geared towards boarding (since thats what I do). Maybe more info on ballast, gear and people weight, pulling speed, rpms at pulling speed and time from dead stop to pulling speed.

We can add all kind of props and info. Just list it and I will categorize it. Whatever the peeps want.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

2003 RLX

335 Monsoon

1,500' elevation

ACME stock CNC 3-blade

13X12 (is this the 525?)

?,??? RPM = 20 MPH

3,500 RPM = 35 MPH

5,050 RPM = 46.5 MPH, GPS, WOT

Slalom/barefoot/other.

The stock 13X12 should be a ACME 515. The 525 is 13X11.5. Both are 3 blade nibral. I think I might try a 525 on my SSXTi. Are the OJ props better than the ACME?

Nice, Hotrod. Much appreciated. It will be interesting to see what props are working best with what engines.

99 SLXI

Monsoon II

~50ft

13X11.5 OJ XMP

WOT 4900rpm and 45.8mph gps

34mph= 3340rpm PP baseline, full tank + 170 crew

Slalom; occasional barefooting & wakeboard; tubing

Old Prop Info

13x13 CVP SS

34mph=3170rpm

removed in Apr 06 (hairline cracks on all 3 blades)

need to retest the WOT info...

• 3 weeks later...

how is the data base coming along. We put our boat in the water this past weekend, and tested everything. We have a 247 with the 8.1. We noticed it was very sluggish out of the hole. About the same as the smaller engine we tested earlier this past fall. We are at 5000 ft, and wondering if anyone had input on what prop they use to help solve this problem.

Echelon LX

350 Magnum

Acme 231, 13 x 12.5 4-blade

Sea level gulf coast

slalom and wakeboard

I also have an Acme 13 x 12 3-blade

the 3 blade is a little smoother,

the 4 blade gives better hole shot and

maintains speed better while wakeboarding IMO

Here are my stats for the DB

05 VLX

Monsoon