Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you prop your ride!!!!!!!

hotrodbowtie

how is the data base coming along. We put our boat in the water this past weekend, and tested everything. We have a 247 with the 8.1. We noticed it was very sluggish out of the hole. About the same as the smaller engine we tested earlier this past fall. We are at 5000 ft, and wondering if anyone had input on what prop they use to help solve this problem.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I picked up my W247 w/ 8.1 about 5 weeks ago. The weather has been very uncooperative, but the few times I have had it out, I thought the hole shot was ridiculous unless the boat was pretty much empty. I talked to the dealer/shop about this, they gave me 2 other acme's to try, so hopefully next week I can try another. The factory acme (I'll check the size, not sure off the top) has a poor hole shot, 3k rpm-28mph, 3500- 34mph, and 4000 39mph. We live in Denver, the Lake we go to (Chatfield, mostly) is probably about 5500'. The other thing the shop suggested was incorrect computer-engine programming or something with the throttle control. They said if it still seemed sluggish after 20 hrs, they would run some diagnostics.

Edited by Festivus
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D-GOOSE

• hotrodbowtie

• andyb

• millertw

I'm thinking it is an altitude thing if you are having the same prob at 5k. I'm sure we'll get it worked out....

Did you have a chance to try the 1235?

BTW, I had out 247 w/ 8.1L out last weekend, at sea level, and Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif It has as much bottom end as my old 23 LSV did with the 383 Clap.gif I believe prop is the 831. I'm going to do some more testing including loading it up (6 adults on sunday) and then will decide which prop I'm going to order from Acme.

I have heard that sometimes it take a few hours for the 8.1L to come into its own. Maybe the altitude is reaking havick on the ECW a bit Dontknow.gif

Edited by stewart
  • 1 month later...

With all the new props being bought with the group buy. I think it would be great if people could help make this data file.

03VLX

335 monsoon

537 prop

5400-5500 RPM at WOT

Will have to update after this weekend for surf and wake RPMS.

5400-5500 RPM at WOT

You sure about those RPM? I thought the rev limiter would kick in after 5200.

Yep. Unless my dash tach is off. I'll be up on a great flat lake this weekend to do all my test. I just need to get the GPS from work for real wold speeds.

Well we found the right prop for our boat, only took 3 tries, but we couldn't be happier. Again we have the 247 with the 8.1 at 5200 ft. The stock prop was lacking hole shot big time, and the second prop, acme 13.5x16 was cavitating at higher RPM's. So I called and spoke to Jim at ACME, told him what was happening. And he recommended the ACME 1235. Now this is a 14.5 compared to the standard 13.5. Jim had a little cup added to help the top end. Our boat now, has a much better hole shot, and is responsive throughout the entire rpm range. We are topping out at 43 or so, with the engine turning 4700 rpm's.(reading off the dash). We couldn't be happier.

Again call Jim or Bill if you have any questions, that is what they are there for. 1 888-661-2263. The prop is so important, I'm suprised Malibu doens't work more closely with ACME to make sure their boats leave with the right one.

toasted my prop, i can get inot how later..i still dont really know...

anyway, i cant find the acme 515 locally here in sacrmento. anyone know where i may find one or what other props i can use. im using the boat tonite so i cant order. so far ive tried the copes trio...

2003 RLXI

335 Monsoon

Acme 13x12 (brand new)

WOT 44.5 MPH (gps) @ 4700 RPM (half a tank of fuel / no passengers)

Elevation = 2250 ft

Does this seem normal for an RLXI with a 335 monsoon? I've never been able to get over 44.5 MPH or 4750 RPM. I've tried in different water conditions, weather conditions and elevation at 1500 ft. I've noticed that most people can get 47-48 MPH on their RLXI. The only thing that I can think of is that the extra 5HP is making the difference or my titan tower is contributing to the lower top end. I've taken the speed from GPS and the RPM's from perfect pass. I've always thought that I should be able to get another 3-4 MPH on the top end.

Well here is the table so far.

I really need to fill in lots of holes in the data. If you guys could post some of the intermediate data it would probably be helpful. There are also lots of models with no data.

Hope this works

Tom Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

props.xls

our is the acme 14.5 by 14.25 with added cup. We highly recommend it to any 247 user, especially the 8.1 liter. Great hole shot, top end is reasonable, what more could you ask for, thanks Hotrod.

D-goose,

It is just a simple excell file.

Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

I don't have Excel on my home computer Bash.gif So how simple is it to open with out Excel? Innocent.gif I'll just do it at work.

Just opened it up at work. It looks great but I will have to send more of my info to fill in the blanks.

Edited by D-GOOSE

Here's my data if you want to include it in your database:

sunsetter 21xti 2006 50 hh383 3 13 13 3200 32 5050 48 acme425 sl/hfoil dslskier

I only have 15 hrs and things may loosen up a little bit yet.

What do I need to open this file.
Greg - You can download a Microsoft Excel Viewer for free from M/S's site. You wouldn't be able to modify an Excel worksheet but you could view it. :)
Here's my data if you want to include it in your database:

sunsetter 21xti 2006 50 hh383 3 13 13 3200 32 5050 48 acme425 sl/hfoil dslskier

I only have 15 hrs and things may loosen up a little bit yet.

Thanks for the data we want any and all data we can get are hands on.

Mike thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind next time I have to look at excel.

toasted my prop, i can get inot how later..i still dont really know...

anyway, i cant find the acme 515 locally here in sacrmento. anyone know where i may find one or what other props i can use. im using the boat tonite so i cant order. so far ive tried the copes trio...

Try Propellars of San Diego, the guys name is Ed, really cool guy but he talks fast! He was able to fed ex me the acme 525 overnight, he also included a return label to repair my damaged 515. Phone# 619 469 5300