Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

just a little fyi

sgt1970-442

are dyno sheets show that john's weber carb vs my 850 quick fuel.. these numbers don't lie..

weber which I believe is a 750 @ 3000rpm tq 444.6 hp 253.9 @ 3500 tq 452.9 hp 301.8 @ 4000 tq 459.3 hp 349.8 @ 4500 tq448.1 hp 383.9

we also tested the holley 600 off my boat and got slightly less on both numbers.

my 850 quick fuel numbers. @3000rpm tq 463.5 hp 264.8 @3500 tq 488.8 hp 325.8 @ 4000 tq 484.7 hp 369.1 @ 4500 tq 456.3 hp 390.9 @ 4900 tq 423 hp 394.6

while I am not saying that I would run the 850 carb on my boat or johns new mill, i made my point about the air pump (engine) made better numbers with a bigger carb and that's why i was able to feel the seat of the pants feel that i did in my boat when i switched.

on another not these numbers were done only by switching carbs, timing and everything else stayed the same. there is a dyno sheet posted and video of the run in the build thread.

Do you have the other pulls that you did? I only saw the sheet for the one run. I'm really curious to see the air/fuel ratios for each run.

The one that was posted showed the one bank was a little richer than the other, did you guys spend any time playing with the fuel metering in addition to trying other carbs?

no we did not play with jetting as I really didn't want to tear my carbs apart to re-jet them. the weber is very limited on tuning so nothing was done to it either. the shop had a 750 edelbrock carb that we put on it and the numbers were better than john's weber but not near as good as my 850.

we made 11 pulls and john has the sheets.

I know we left some torque and horsepower on the table because lack of actually carb tuning.

if this was a race motor we would have spent more time doing that but with the numbers we got and really were not expecting them that high, we are very happy with the way it turned out.

Very timely, I was just thinking about putting the graphs up on the other thread.

Here is the original Weber 600ish cfm carb versus the Quick Fuel Tech 850cfm carb:

post-8942-0-27087800-1416925456_thumb.jp

And here is the 750 cfm carb that the dyno shop had, again versus the 850:
post-8942-0-70699600-1416925499_thumb.jp

Edited by Michigan boarder

I'd just like to add to the conversation so those referencing it later, the carb ratings above are for the max cfm the carb can reasonably move at atmospheric pressure. It has little to do with the amount of gas to be moved. In tuning a carb, you can change the jets to get more/less fuel to the engine depending on what that engine requires and where it will be running.

This is all great information you guys are supplying for reference material, glad you take the time to put it up.

Edited by Falko
  • Like 1