Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast tank winterizarion

jmiller2496

How are you sure that all the water is removed or is it not an issue since it is such a small amount? So you will never add antifreeze or manually drain them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

How are you sure that all the water is removed or is it not an issue since it is such a small amount? So you will never add antifreeze or manually drain them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If there was any water left in the tanks there would be lots of room for expansion if it froze. No need for antifreeze.

If there was any water left in the tanks there would be lots of room for expansion if it froze. No need for antifreeze.

Exactly so what if there is a little in there, tanks are plastic and flex. Not an issue as far as I'm concerned. Speaking of antifreeze if you put it in there how will you get it out? Probably in the lake and honestly that's not being a responsible boater IMO.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I pumped antifreeze into the ports at the bottom of the hull. Precharge with a pump and fire up the ballast pump for a couple seconds on each one. Probably overkill by the looks on here but oh well !

Only reason might be to make sure that any fluids left in the lines doesn't freeze. I can't see how a gallon of frozen water in the tank will hurt anything.

The best solution IMHO is to blow out the lines with an air compressor and be done. No antifreeze.

I have found the best way to get almost all the water out of the ballast system is with a shop vac. Disconnect the hose and make sure you are sucking the right way for the check valves to empty the water sitting on top of them and you should not have any water left in the system to freeze and damage anything.

I have found the best way to get almost all the water out of the ballast system is with a shop vac. Disconnect the hose and make sure you are sucking the right way for the check valves to empty the water sitting on top of them and you should not have any water left in the system to freeze and damage anything.

I really like that idea. I have clear lines everywhere so I removed them all and tried to drain them as best I could. A shop vac on the vent/drain lines and run the pump for 10 seconds would be a great way to get the rest of the water out!