Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intersting read over at Wakeworld 2013 Polar Bear Event.

Bawshogg

Saw this and was intrigued. Looks like something I am gonna have to try and make it to.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800242

So there is a 2013 in exssistance without surfgate. :crazy:

Cut and paisted from the Malibu review.

Dan's 2013 Malibu 23 LSV w/o Surf Gate

This boat was the biggest surprise for a couple of reasons. First, I have never met Dan before but he had contacted me a few times about hooking up on Lake Oroville with his Bu. I was a bit nervous but he also rep'd for Brigade and from talking to him he seemed to know what he was doing and I wanted to get a Malibu in attendance, especially the 23 LSV. I have always thought the 23 LSV would be the best of the Malibus for surfing based on pictures and videos I have seen. I wasn't wrong about Dan or the boat. It was definitely a crowd pleaser. This wave was LONG, and when I say long, I mean LONG. It still had lots of power with all of that length. It wasn't the tallest wake, but tall enough and everyone loved it. Even the most sensitive riders thought it had a great transition. Surfers also liked it because it was very firm with a nice lip. This wake was also very adjustable using the power wedge. Dan said he kept the wedge in its neutral position for skimmers and 2 clicks for surfers. You can see the difference in the pictures.

Dan used about 3000 lbs of ballast, lead and water. 3000 lbs is normally in the "sane" category for me for most boats with decent freeboard but in the spirit of full disclosure several riders mentioned a very wet ride. The hull made a great wake though, so maybe malibu will add a bit of freeboard to this boat so that it can take that weight in stride.

Dan was VERY nervous when switching to goofy for the first time. It was like 70 degrees outside but I swear the dude was sweating. He made his best guess and went out and when I can by in the pontoon I saw nothing but smiles and he was cheering, I am not exaggerating. The wake was every bit as good as the regular side and he found it right away with very little difference in weighting to the regular side. This boat is now added to my short list of great wakesurf boats with a great wake on both sides.

I need to mention the lack of Surf Gate, because I know its going to be asked. I asked Dan why he didn't have Surf Gate installed. He said that you can make a decent wake with SG, but the best wake is weighted and listed. He also said that if you weight the boat like you would wake boarding, its not that great and you need more weight which makes plenty of sense to me. When you deploy the SG with that extra surf weight in the rear the SG is mostly ineffective. This also matches up with what we have found in our own testing. You can get a decent wake with evenly distributed weight, but it's better listed. I think the SG and that type of system is perfectly suited for those folks that want to wakeboard as their primary sport and then surf, but it seems that the best wakesurf wake still comes from weighting the boat with some degree of list.

Ok, so on to the pictures. Did I mention that wake is LONG!

10304560515_7c50f60af7_b.jpg
IMG_6469 by wake9, on Flickr

10304647606_cba5ee6e54_b.jpg
IMG_7003 by wake9, on Flickr

10304561865_52c6c67b46_b.jpg
IMG_6486 by wake9, on Flickr

10304767663_126471ae5a_b.jpg
IMG_6998 by wake9, on Flickr

10304771663_08476b83b4_b.jpg
Malibu 1 by wake9, on Flickr

10304779023_43b62b03b8_b.jpg
Malibu 6 by wake9, on Flickr

10304648135_4c50210b71_b.jpg
IMG_7178 by wake9, on Flickr

10304649535_5b89da9071_b.jpg
IMG_7190 by wake9, on Flickr

I don't know this Dan guy either....... :innocent:

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 1

Wake 9 and The Polar Bear Event is created by 2 families out of Sacramento, CA that love and promote Wakesurfing. They are dealers for Tige boats and Soulcraft. All the kids wakesurf. They get all these boards donated and then they are able to sell them at the event. They do not profit from the Polar Bear. I think I am pretty accurate. I don't know if they had a Surfgate boat at this years event.

I know the Garcia's. They are big in the wakesurf community. They don't sell TIGE, they rep them though. You are correct for the most part . It is not a for profit event. They just like to spread the wakesurfing love. Seems like the place to be if you want to try multiple boats and get a chance to demo several unobtainium surfboards at once.

The boats are all consumer owned and offered up to ride behind. They have been doing this event for a few years and it seems to be gaining momentum. Pretty neat to orginize something like that.

I was mostly intrigued by the commentary that came along with the 23 lsv.

ahopkins22LSV

That wave looks amazing! The last picture is crazy. The girl surfing is pretty much in the middle of the wave from the looks of it. I wish I had access to better surfing boats because it is a blast to do and its about all our lake is good for in the afternoons during the summer. Other than to tie up on the sand bar and having a few :beer:

Ok. So they had a Malibu and prefer the listed wave. I still think that with SG both waves are comparable. I could be wrong. I thought thy would at least get a Malibu with SG. The LSV in the pictures is super slammed. I don't think I will ever drive a boat like that.

:lol: Noob. That boat is not nearly "slammed". 3000lbs is a bunch, but the rub rail isnt dipped yet in the rear, and no water over the rear corner. You approach 3k in most all the SG boats when wieghted properly.

I kept waiting for the part in the story where the beautiful blonde in the micro bikini swam over and asked to "join" them for some fun...just the way the told the story amused me. Sounds like a cool idea for an event tho!

:lol: Noob. That boat is not nearly "slammed". 3000lbs is a bunch, but the rub rail isnt dipped yet in the rear, and no water over the rear corner. You approach 3k in most all the SG boats when wieghted properly.

I am at 3350 lbs, but feel safe. I hope you understand. That's a big deal for me.

It dont matter to me bro. Whatever works for you. But folks been rollin leaned for years before SG came around. I dont know ANYONE that has sunk an inboard from surf ballast, nor have I heard of it round here.

There is always fear in the unknown. Maybe you should give it a try before you form your opinion.

It dont matter to me bro. Whatever works for you. But folks been rollin leaned for years before SG came around. I dont know ANYONE that has sunk an inboard from surf ballast, nor have I heard of it round here.

There is always fear in the unknown. Maybe you should give it a try before you form your opinion.

Maybe. I like SG so much it's hard to go to listed. I mean I am progressing with my surfing, switching for the standard and goofy folks. Only occupying the bow which we do not use with a fly high sac.

I think not, only because of the fancy little rack emblems up on the top positions. Those were new for 13. Not saying a guy couldn't buy some and not bolt em up.but not sure if Malibu would even sell em.....

Robert is usually a pretty detail oriented guy, I doubt he would misquote all that and talk about SG in relation to it.

I think not, only because of the fancy little rack emblems up on the top positions. Those were new for 13. Not saying a guy couldn't buy some and not bolt em up.but not sure if Malibu would even sell em.....

Robert is usually a pretty detail oriented guy, I doubt he would misquote all that and talk about SG in relation to it.

I had those on my '12, G3 nameplates are optional. Very familiar with Roberts post on TO, been on there since 2007 and he is detailed. I was just glad to see a Bu finally at his event. Just needs a slammed 247 next!

Good to know, I never saw them on the 12's.

I wouldn't mind throwing my big girl into the mix, but that is always such a busy time of year for us. Not to mention its a long drive for us.

I did a little more picture hunt. Looks like a '13 style fuel fill and vent. :dontknow:

Edited by Bobby Bright

They came out with the ez fill in 2012

I believe.. Didn't they come out with all the Bimini options in 13 though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this "easy fuel" plastic cap an option? I sure don't have either of those vents or fuel fillers on my '12 .

Just spent a few minutes searching through sale boats and the fuel cap type seems to be hit and miss, some have it, some don't. Weird.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Good to know, I never saw them on the 12's.

I wouldn't mind throwing my big girl into the mix, but that is always such a busy time of year for us. Not to mention its a long drive for us.

I did a little more picture hunt. Looks like a '13 style fuel fill and vent. :dontknow:

you should should should should should. Do it do it do it. You would need to get the goofy side sorted tho. But you should bring your boat for sure. The most mackinest.

you should should should should should. Do it do it do it. You would need to get the goofy side sorted tho. But you should bring your boat for sure. The most mackinest.

Haha. Ya, That would force me to work on the :crazy: side. I am actually contemplating doing a system for that side this off season with a couple more pumps to do a transfer flow system, but I cant seem to get it higher on the priority list. I got another little trick I am contemplating first. I need some definitive answers from someone that actually knows before that will happen.

• Like 2