Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I am looking for my first surf board

UofM_MXZ

I am a bigger guy and although I have surfed a lot when I lived in Hawaii I have never wake surfed. I am looking to learn and I want a big stable board that I will be comfortable on for a while. I would like quality and something I won't want another one right after I learn. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm 225 and mostly ride an Inland red rocket (keep your lewd comments to yourself pervs) and luv it. Also have Ronix Thruster (what is up with the names of these boards) which also works well for + size riders. Red Rocket is great for teaching newbies.....

This is a great board to start with. A stable board but still enough maneuverability to be fun

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/boards/12/bluelake.htm

I agree the blue lake is an awesome board to learn and progress on, it is truely a surf style board in every sense though so keep that in mind. They are very durable as far as surfboards go as well. I've had one since 06' and still looks great and I've taught about 10 people to surf on that board alone. Edited by Bobby Light

I am a bigger guy and although I have surfed a lot when I lived in Hawaii I have never wake surfed. I am looking to learn and I want a big stable board that I will be comfortable on for a while. I would like quality and something I won't want another one right after I learn. Any suggestions would be great.

Ocean Surfer should stick to a Ocean Style Surfboard. Knowing what I know now. Blue Lake has great reviews! Phase 5 Trident. Soulcraft Jetty. The Walker Project Bomb Pop. Brigade Wakesurf Bomber. Idol Wakesurf Ollie Twist (New Design). Airbaze Next. Since you surfed in Hawaii, I don't consider you a beginner.

I would NOT get a blue lake unless you just want to impress your friends by drinking a busch light while surfing. It's an "OK" board but not easy to learn on (newbs are prone to pearl it) and once you can surf it's kinda boring because it's a big barn door.

I've gone through a lot of boards and definitely a lot of cheap boards. On the lower budget end, I really like the phase 5 skim stuff.... just their "cheap" boards. They are durable and pretty easy to ride, and once you can ride, they are pretty manuverable (for skims). you don't have to ride them aggressively, but if you do, they are up to it. You can also put in a bigger fin to lock them in a little.

If you want the locked in feel of a "real" surfboard... save your money and spend it once. Personally, I'd spend the $$$ for a soulcraft. My first ride was one of those eye opening moments where I understood that the equipment really could make me look a little better. A Soulcraft vs a cheapo (hyperlite, ronix, etc) surfer is like the difference between a modern set of snow skis and your 88 Rossignol 4S's. No comparison.

• Like 3

Shawn is right! A blue lake or red rocket is like surfing a piece of plywood if you ask me. You'd be bored after your first two rides. Putting you on a soulcraft with zero experience could be ugly as well. They are a bit twitchy. It can certainly be done if your a fast learner though.

I recommend a good hybrid like the cwb tsunami. Then if you like shell out the dough for a soulcraft. Keep the tsunami and teach your friends on it. The tsunami is very forgiving but you can advance on it. It's my recomendation every time.

I am 260 and ride a swallow. It's fast but like the blue lake is a little prone to pearl. I like it cause you don't really need to pump it out back. Just point it downhill and go. I think the blue lake floats a little better than the swallow. I really like the swallow for carving turns and a pretty mellow ride. Changing the fins made quite a difference in the ride characteristics. I also have a phase 5 and while equally fun, not quite as fast (I have an older one and not sure what model as it came from Craigslist) has a totally different ride. Swallow is like a barn door and phase 5 is like a lunch tray. My next board will be a 4-skim squirt or a fly boy big boy.