Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pylon Speaker Placement Question...

Kaiboywakesurfers

Hey all, I've gotten a lot of great info from this site and its members. Hoping you could help me out yet again. I have an 85' Malibu with a ski pylon. Just bought speakers for it. My question is this: I have a couple wakeboard/surf racks mounted to the pole. Should the speaker go above the rack or below the rack? Which looks best? Any thoughts? You don't see many of these boats roaming the waters these days so I really don't have opportunities to gather ideas from other local owners...

It's been a while since I've seen a boat with pylon mounted speakers. I do think it fits the era of your boat quite well though. Most I saw had the speakers above the board racks. They usually "tuck" in the "v" of the boards pretty well to get everything up higher but still gives some space so the rope doesn't get tangled up in stuff too much.

Another functional benefit of the speakers above the board racks is you're not constantly hanging a wet board over the speaker that can drip water on them.

Edited by Wayne

On my Skier the board rack was above the bimini. I never did it, but I always planned on mounting the speakers just under the bimini. No idea if that is the best plan though... Sounds like if you could tuck them in the V that would work, but I don't remember the area in there to be super spacious. Not sure you could get anything to tuck in there.

Does your rack look like this?

post-7837-0-57409700-1382099517_thumb.jp

Edited by Levi900RR

My rack isn't as angled as yours is. I have a little room above and below depending on how I place the racks (I can slide them up or down the pole). They are 8" speakers, so a little larger than the 6". I like the idea of above the rack. I never thought of dealing with water dripping on them. Great ideas...