Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Submerged Boat Restoration Potential Project

Asmodeus2112

Boat is registered in MO, not Texas, maybe they hauled it down here for the drought

Yeah, I saw that. I'm betting they relocated to Dallas and hadn't changed registration yet. I see a lot of OK boats out of Dallas too. I'm sure hitting things happens to the best of us, but being on a new lake only increased the odds.

I got my 98' in perfect condition with monsoon 320, wedge, and tower for 12k out the door.

Can you please find me a boat :). I would gladly hand over a 1k finders fee for a deal like that!

Salem

I got my 98' in perfect condition with monsoon 320, wedge, and tower for 12k out the door.

My first Malibu was a 2001 Sunkicker. Monsoon 320, Titan Tower, Wedge, ~275 hours for a really low price. I had no idea how nice of a boat that was until after I had sold it. :(:oops:

I have been looking for a deal like that, but have not found one since...

Edit: I took the price out, I felt like I broke some code about posting prices.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Can you please find me a boat :). I would gladly hand over a 1k finders fee for a deal like that!

Salem

It took me about a year to find it. It was inherited by this guys daughter, she had no use for it and just wanted to stop paying storage.
  • Like 1

It took me about a year to find it. It was inherited by this guys daughter, she had no use for it and just wanted to stop paying storage.

My sunkicker was a guy that was about 4 hours from any decent sized city, so I think nobody would make the drive and he just decided to lower the price until it moved. I knew I would buy it when I first saw it from across the street. I've been searching for about 5 months now for another one like it...

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Assuming that's the boat on your avatar, that is awesome. I would really like to have a boat like yours. Do you have any more pictures anywhere?

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Assuming that's the boat on your avatar, that is awesome. I would really like to have a boat like yours. Do you have any more pictures anywhere?

Yeah, that's it. I have more pictures. I will dig them up for you.

We are proud of it. I saved and had cash, it seemed like everything I found was just out of our price range, but I new what I wanted and wasn't going to settle. This one finally showed up and relatively close to home, so we jumped on it. The blue was oxidized, I had to buff it, but that was about it.

We are proud of it. I saved and had cash, it seemed like everything I found was just out of our price range, but I new what I wanted and wasn't going to settle. This one finally showed up and relatively close to home, so we jumped on it. The blue was oxidized, I had to buff it, but that was about it.

What did you buff that blue with? Mine is the same way and I am unschooled in the ways of fiberglass refurbishment.

I keep reading on here where people try to limit what they put into a boat so that they can come out whole when they sell her.

To help me get past that, I have come up with a new formula, which is:

(Cost of boat + crew inspired upgrades + maintenance + fuel) - Fun Had = FMV.

And we have had a tremendous amount of fun, truckloads.

With this formula in mind, I am not upside down at all. But if I am upside down, it would only be due to low hours this summer and surely I will be able to make it up next year.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3

I keep reading on here where people try to limit what they put into a boat so that they can come out whole when they sell her.

To help me get past that, I have come up with a new formula, which is:

(Cost of boat + crew inspired upgrades + maintenance + fuel) - Fun Had = FMV.

And we have had a tremendous amount of fun, truckloads.

With this formula in mind, I am not upside down at all. But if I am upside down, it would only be due to low hours this summer and surely I will be able to make it up next year.

Just the time I spent with my kids swimming off the back of my boats alone is priceless, not to mention all the other great times. Therefore my boats are essentially free as they have paid for themselves. Right?

• Like 2

I agree with all that. We bought a new Jeep this summer. My wife started getting on me about putting too many miles on it. I'm like "Seriously?? I don't think, come time to sell it, that I'm going to say to myself that I shouldn't have ran around so much on silly errands, or drove it to work too many times with the sunrise on a Saturday with the top and doors off." Same with a boat, it's meant to be used. If I ever get the '71 Cutlass convertible I've craved for so many years, I'm gonna rack up miles on that thing and never look back.

Wait...what were we talking about?

• Like 1

What's a real buffer?

One that looks like a grinder but has a buffing wheel. Mine has varying speeds as well. You can get "buffers" at walmart and autozone and places like that that are just not meant for cutting oxidation, but more for just putting a finishing shine on a car.

One that looks like a grinder but has a buffing wheel. Mine has varying speeds as well. You can get "buffers" at walmart and autozone and places like that that are just not meant for cutting oxidation, but more for just putting a finishing shine on a car.

Right; the downside to a real buffer is that if you don't know what you're doing you could burn holes in the paint (I'm not sure about gelcoat) since they heat it up an area much more than a random orbital. The random orbitals that walmart or autozone sell are pretty much idiot proof and you can hold it on the same spot all day without bad results.

ahopkins22LSV

Right; the downside to a real buffer is that if you don't know what you're doing you could burn holes in the paint (I'm not sure about gelcoat) since they heat it up an area much more than a random orbital. The random orbitals that walmart or autozone sell are pretty much idiot proof and you can hold it on the same spot all day without bad results.

They can burn gel coat, but you have to stay in one area for quite a while. I have been using one for the past 5-6 years and have never had a problem even with tough cutting materials. I have done a few dark red/blue boats too.

Just keep it moving and don't just hold it in one spot and you will be fine.

And that is the reason that they are all but useless to cut oxidation. You have to cut through the oxidation to get down to the the shiney stuff, the orbital ones don't have enough ooomf to do it.

They can burn gel coat, but you have to stay in one area for quite a while. I have been using one for the past 5-6 years and have never had a problem even with tough cutting materials. I have done a few dark red/blue boats too.

Just keep it moving and don't just hold it in one spot and you will be fine.

RPM's and pressure have a lot to do with it, I put a couple white "burn" marks on my vride in the blue gel and I didn't hold it anywhere long but I was running 5k+ rpm's :Doh: Edited by Ndawg12