Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23' LSV Surf Gate size

pkh

What was your setup? Better than your '13?

Not mine, just a demo. We had 800's in the rear compartments only about 70% full. Wedge at 50%.

I think its going to need more bow weight just like 2013, good news is the new boat has so much freeboard it can handle it.

I think I saw your '13 LSV getting winterized at Active last Friday. Anywho, you'll be out with AWS tomorrow? I'm making my way up there and am anxious to get to touch/lounge/ride behind that beauty. See you there!

Yep, if everything goes to plan should be out there early afternoon.

My boat wasn't getting winterized, just some tweaks going on. Was hoping to get at least another 3-4 days before I call it a season.

Are the gates bigger than last years? I knew they added the metal plate to them but didnt know they actually changed the size of them. The new LSV does put out a pretty nice surf wave though.

ahopkins22LSV

They are way bigger than the gates on the VLX or the MXZ's. They had to increase the size of them due to the increased freeboard. I don't know the exact dimensions, but seeing the new LSV next to a 14 VLX, they are much bigger.

Fun day demoing a 23' 2014. Here's what I was thinking:

- Go for big motor, 350 monsoon with 2315 prop was just barely working with full surf ballast and big crew, and we couldn't run faster than 11mph

- The flip up seats are solid, nice design.

- 8" speakers are cool, and having more room around the cup holders is nice... the new interior looks good IMO.

- Boat came with deckadence, it feels nice and looks nice but doesn't match the carpet and worst of all slid around quite a bit.

- The new dash and steering wheel looks good IMO, but with no gauges there really needs to be a tachometer on the Malivue screen!

- The surf wave with 750s in trunks and 400lbs in the bow was very nice, similar to my 2013 LSV fully sac'd out. I would love to see it with the bigger motor, 11.4mph, and some more bow weight. Maybe a 750 sac in walkway. For full stealth I am sure you could hide 500lbs+ of lead up front no problem.

- The boat feels very "cozy" and safe, it was pretty windy when we started out and there was minimal (if any) spray when heading into the wind. The bow is high and much safer from bow dunks.

When I first saw pics of the new boat I thought it didn't look great, but after seeing it and riding behind it I think its a winner. Perfect, no, but what boat is?

Eos2Hvn.jpg

HB7T0Lg.jpg

Edited by pkh
  • Like 2

They did some cool stuff on that boat but that sun pad looks cheap as hell along with that stupid dash. Guess a guy is SOL when that thing goes blank on the water huh.

Demoed this boat today, Coming from a VLX Love the added room, Best Surf gate wake so far, Did not get to drive it, so cant comment there, But over all Nice boat and if I was in the market, this would be the boat for me, ( All Black with a hint of silver metal flake) 1402383_746395498710256_1099542204_o_zps1378063_746332752049864_1318732649_n_zps

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

Great to meet some more TMC members out on this demo today. Here are some pictures I snapped via GoPro.

10340547476_1491f6170f_b.jpg
GOPR9208 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Vince taking some shots at a bottom turn.
10340543056_24cf61b7cf_b.jpg
GOPR9235 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340521045_09aced8b3b_b.jpg
GOPR9240 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Gerry, from AWS, getting a few sets in.
10340505235_d124c41679_b.jpg
GOPR9249 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340685893_ba3d6236d4_b.jpg
GOPR9260 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340468895_524c06c083_b.jpg
GOPR9272 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340453714_854221099a_b.jpg
GOPR9273 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340615323_c367567091_b.jpg
GOPR9304 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Bobby Light rippin' it up on his Triple X surf stye.
10340426666_7605838f66_b.jpg
GOPR9312 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340587863_4eeccf0f6d_b.jpg
GOPR9321 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340376475_1772df7dfb_b.jpg
GOPR9333 by Bucky Images, on Flickr

10340561513_5a312505ef_b.jpg
GOPR9342 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Great ending to our evening.
10340374896_c975e32f95_b.jpg
GOPR9358 by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Big thanks to the guys at Active Water Sports (Gerry) for letting us crawl/touch/feel/ride behind the new '14 LSV. Awesome boat.
  • Like 2

Best surfgate wave I have ridden yet. I'll let all you yayhoos spin that how ever you want. But it is much better than the previous version that I tried. I tried to pick out changes in the hull, but its pretty tough to spot visually. Gates are massive to say the least, but this is due to the increase in draft. Whatever they changed, needs to happen across the board as new models evolve.

Don't buy this boat with out AT LEAST the LS3. They should not offer it with anything less IMO. You can physically tell there is a bunch more hull in the water. More drag, needs more torque.

Something that was most noticeable to me was the cost cutting efforts. Don't get me wrong. It was a pretty dang sweet boat. They definetly gave you more in wake/wave performance vs. the previous version. But here is how I see it. You want to see an overall progression with these things, not trade offs, especially as the prices keep rising .I love some of the tricks they pulled like finally putting the batteries under the observer's seat. Storage is much deeper as they utilized the waisted space on the outside of the stringers.The flip up seat hinges are gargantuan, overkill almost. Some of the interior features/fit/finish was just off. No more french seams on 90% of the interior panels. This is much less labor intensive and saves on a bunch of thread, but it gives the boat more of an IO feel inside along with the fact that that the seating surfaces are no longer multiple textures. This boat was all one texture of vynil for the most part. Seats are still comfortable and I was initially concerned about the hard inset panelling all around the mid section of the interior, but you never really touch it. Non issue. Alot of the stiching was crooked and strangely enough the carpet seems out of place on the seat bases. They can keep the deckadence mat. Slips around too much and didnt fit too well. I do like the looks of the boat on the outside though. The new gel pattern and styling is pretty impressive in person. This is a BIG boat on the trailer. No 7ft garage for this one.

No gauges. This has to save money. But it just seems odd, especially with no tach. Throttle feels nice. I never have been a huge fan of Malivue to begin with, and to have just that soley...I was not a fan. It needs to be touch screen. Its odd to have one touch screen and one not. And for gods sake, at least update the look of the boat in the MTC. The boat is still the original 2011 version. I say for that amount of cash the boat in the display should match the boat you bought.

• Like 3

No you dont. Your hull is not as deep. The real change in the gate is because of the hull and the platform is raised up. You should go with the size from the 2013 or I guess a 14 247 lsv since the hull has not changed. But I have yet to see an impressive surfgate wae from a 247. Someone needs to buy one.