Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Lights Help

wakeboarder3780

Well I recently "ran into" a problem with my tower lights. Suffice to say 4 on one side are trashed. I *think* these were made by titan but I'm unsure. Can anyone identify these?

photo_zps4769f8ec.jpg

I'm assuming these aren't made anymore which means I'm going to have to replace all 8. We are working through the insurance company to get things repaired but will have the opportunity to install myself to try to recoup some of the deductible which I will likely do.

Not sure if you can tell from the pic but these are halogens. I think most newer lights are LED. I'm not sure if these have a converter in between them to provide AC power to the lights, or if they take DC power. Does anyone know? All I know is if I leave them on long enough I can hear a relay or something that has a soft "tick tock" sound to it.

For whatever I buy I will know what is provided to it for power. Can anyone provide a little guidance for installation? Does anyone know of some tower lights that aren't fugly?

TIA

Edit: Is Halogen or LED looked at as "superior" from a lighting standpoint?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

As you said your lights are a standard halogen projector lamp and will have a normal 12v 55W single filament car headlight bulb in them. Perhaps you just have a bad relay or loose wire to the coil side of the relay. Alternatively the power wire or ground to the dud side might be broken.

The Board Shop in Austin Texas sells the lights if you need more

Led vs halogen is hard. Led is better for power consumption and light temperature colour selection but it can be hard to achieve an equivalent light output with led vs light housing size. Led's produce a lot of heat and therefore need a good housing to dissipate it because as an led heats up, it's lumen output decreases. Also halogen or metal halide light often have better lenses that can reduce glare by directing the light better (we all know how much glare a bike riders led light can have). Also keep in mind that the lower colour temperature of halogens can make things easier to see and more pleasant. The really white leds, like 6,500K tend to wash out colours so everything looks grey but they also make depth perception hard. When ever we build lights we always choose lower temperatures like 4,500K so the colours still look real and perception is better.

I built some 6,500k mtb lights for downhill and my times improved because the light made everything look flat. So I swapped the leds back to 4,500K so I didn't hurt myself. (1 bought of broken ribs was enough)

Edited by brad72

I was not able to find "the board shop" in austin texas from a google search. Do you have a URL or a phone number for them handy?

Searching for "pilot lights" also didn't find me much. When you say you replaced them with rigid's do you have a link of what you replaced them with?

The only thing I have found that seems a suitable replacement so far are these:

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2009

They have the same mounting style and are similarly rated as far as wattage and I'd assume lumens although I can't really be sure. Every other tower light I've seen so far looks "awkward" at best.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Thanks brad, this helps me so much. I should be able to simply replace with these since they are a direct match. Very appreciative of the help!

• 3 weeks later...