Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas cap lanyard - How to secure inside neck -2010 Response LXi

I've solved my gas smell problem (ref: Gas Smell 2010 Response LXi post), but now have a gas cap that is not attached to the boat/ filler neck.

I'm looking for advice on how to secure the gas fill end of the cap lanyard inside the fuel line/ neck area.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have to do this too but have been putting it off. From looking at it I think I need to disconnect the 4" fuel hose from the filler neck inside the boat so I can attach the lanyard that way. The screw to attach is so far in there that is the only way I think I could get to it. If worse comes to worse I will have to disconnect the fuel hose from the filler neck and then actually remove the filler neck from the boat so I can attach the lanyard and then put it all back together.

I just put my boat in storage so if you do it before me let me know how it goes! :)

I have to do this too but have been putting it off. From looking at it I think I need to disconnect the 4" fuel hose from the filler neck inside the boat so I can attach the lanyard that way. The screw to attach is so far in there that is the only way I think I could get to it. If worse comes to worse I will have to disconnect the fuel hose from the filler neck and then actually remove the filler neck from the boat so I can attach the lanyard and then put it all back together.

I just put my boat in storage so if you do it before me let me know how it goes! :)

Ditto for me, I'm tired of only having to use the filler on one side for fear of losing the cap!

This is exactly how you do it. Once the filler hose is removed from the inside you can reach the scew that secures the lanyard. No need to remove the filler neck from the hull.

This was one of my projects from last winter.

So, it sound like:

- Remove the side upholstery panel

- Remove filler hose from filler neck end

- Reinstall screw to secure lanyard to inside of filler neck

- Replace hose, secure 2 clamps, reinstall all upholstery panels.

Thats it?

Also, any idea on the screw size and thread pitch? Brass or Stainless?

Any photos anyone?

Before you remove the side panel, Check in the rear ski locker and if there are corners pieces that bump out attached to the rear seats those are the fuel hoses going to the tank. at least that is how my 05 rlxi is. best way to replace the chain is to

#1 loosen hose clamps on fuel hoses

#2 remove screws on filler neck- on my 05 rlxi one of the screws had a nut on the back holding a grounding wire.

#3 remove filler neck- easier to remove hose from fuel tank and pull out still attached to fill neck

#4 remove hose from fill neck

#5 loosen screw remove old chain

#6 replace chain- consider using stainless cable instead of beaded chain

#7 reinstall

Also when replacing cable consider adding extra chain to allow gas cap to sit on top of the gunnel instead of hanging down

OK, work completed. About a 90 minute job start to finish. Yes, you MUST remove the inside gunnel upholstery pad. Highlife2, I tried your method, but could not fit the hose, much less the clamps through the hole in the side of the hull for the filler neck.

So, here's how I did it.

Remove gunnel pad (about 8 brass nuts on studs, and one bolt). Lay on the floor, put your hand behind the gunnel pad, and you'll feel the studs and bolt locations.

Unattach speaker clips

Unscrew two (2) clamps on gas hose from filler neck

Remove gas cap, remove three screws securing filler neck to boat. Note- there is a ground wire on one of the screws. (there are lock nuts on them)

In ski Locker, remover access cover in corner, remove two (2) clamps from gas hose to tank

Muscle hose off tank, swing around hose to get into a good position to muscle off filler neck.

Remove Filler neck from boat.

Now you can undo screw, and re-attach a new lanyard (or brass chain) At this point, your cap should be hanging from the filler neck in your hand.

Replace filler neck (do not screw in place yet) with cap hanging

reconnect hose on tank, and on filler neck. A little lite oil helps slide hose on.

Secure filler neck AND GROUND WIRE to hull, with 3 screws, and lock nuts on the back. (Another helping hand helps here...)

Secure clamps - 2 at filler neck, 2 at tank

Replace access cover in ski locker

Reconnect speaker wires to speaker

Re-attach gunnel side panel-

Place gap cap (now hanging) onto filler neck

DONE!