Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LAST RIDE....of the 2013 season thread

Afun

Nacimiento (central Cali) air temp is back in the 80's this weekend, lows dip into the 40s though causing the water to be cooling off quickly. Last ski tournament of the year last week resulted in a tie for first between two teams....not sure how I'm gonna feel about the tiebreaker on November 2nd...but I bet a lot of you would trade places huh....

Water 68 and dropping, temps can still be 70-80 depending on the day.... Huge temp swings. High of high 70s and lows of low 30s. Time to put a lightbulb under the tranny.

I prob have 2-3 more weeks till we start seeing temps in the high 20s at night... That's when I winterize regardless of water and daily high temps. Weather forecast was 6 dregs off last night, called for 40 and it was 34. Play around and crack your block.

Would like to keep going till mid November.

Water 68 and dropping, temps can still be 70-80 depending on the day.... Huge temp swings. High of high 70s and lows of low 30s. Time to put a lightbulb under the tranny.

I prob have 2-3 more weeks till we start seeing temps in the high 20s at night... That's when I winterize regardless of water and daily high temps. Weather forecast was 6 dregs off last night, called for 40 and it was 34. Play around and crack your block.

Would like to keep going till mid November.

Please explain the light bulb under the tranny. Maybe even a pic...if you can.

I use a 75w work light.... Put it under the engine/ tranny area...puts off enough heat to keep everything from freezing.... I'd estimate probably down to about 20degs.

Gotta have all the compartments closed, drain plug in.

I think 100w may be too hot. You may melt/burn something with that if you aren't careful. Hoses, hull, wires.

I will only play down to approx 28degs like this... It's a $10k gamble. Let the power go out, someone unplug and you are screwed. Helps me squeeze prob and extra 2 weeks in the fall, and start 2 weeks earlier in the spring.

Right next to the tranny underneath the seat cushion and plastic tub. Keep the tranny drain plug in ? This is one of this lights with a cage around...correct?

Hull drain plug, reduces cold air draft.

Yes, right where engine connects to tranny...underneath, will keep the engine, tranny and Vdrive areas warm.

I would be getting out in this beautiful weather we are having, but just can't find anyone else to go out. Oh well. Mowed the lawn, weeded, and cleaned out the gutters.

I also got on my bike for the first time in a couple of years. Thought I was going to die going up the hills around here.

Is this maybe moving into the crazy range of reality?

It actually wasn't that bad. Drysuit with two layers of sweats underneath. Rob has these sweet booties that kept the feet warm. I rode for a good 30 minutes or so.

Skied yesterday. We dropped the boat in the lake around 1pm.... air temp was 59, water temp was 53. By the time we pulled out at almost 4pm, air was 70, water was 59.

3 of us rode, everyone in drysuits. Hate the big bulky thing, but it sure is nice to get out of it all warm & dry.

It was unreal nice. Not sure it'll be our last time out. If this keeps up, why not keep goin out?? :rockon:

20131013_164040_zps7cf30eac.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3

I think about getting a dry suit from time to time.... But then I come to reality and remember that my bank account needs a break more than I do. We get out 2-3 times a week with a solid 2 week trip in the mix as well. So ya, I'm broke :lol:

^ so jealous! I was hoping to ride this weekend but the sun never broke through the clouds and fog, thus it was damn cold and the motivation to launch wasn't there. We might be done for the year. sigh.