Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Malibu, Opinions needed!

E-FARAOH

Hey guys,

I'm new to Malibu Boats. I've had a few friends that owned early 2000 model wakesetters, but I've been eyeing these awesome boats for a couple years on and off now. We're finally seriously looking and I have been lurking on here trying to read up on as many opinion threads as possible.

As far as use ...wakeboarding , cruising, surf, and tubing, no skiing.

Our boat outings in the past have been around the 8 person mark.

As far as storage and towing those aren't issues.

Now for the big issues, coming from a 24' boat now we wouldn't mind a smaller more manageable boat so our focus thus far has been the 21 VLX. Something with fairly low hours. Is the market more favorable for the 23 LSVs? As far as budget is concerned I'm looking in the 60k range. Found a couple options and wanted you guys opinions. The way I see it it's end of the season, '14s are out and the top one on the list is pretty bare from what it seems. If you guys have any comments as far as what prices are fair, overpriced etc, I appreciate any help !! Hopefully we will be joining the Bu crew soon!

1. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-101872285

2. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-Malibu-Wakesetter-21-VLX-102071912

3. Higher hours :/... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-102115473

4.http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-102004130

What should we be looking to pay for these boats at this time of year and with the new boats already in?

- Mike

Last year I went through the fall, winter, spring season looking for a V drive. I found that the prices generally don't drop until February. And that is really for dealers, typically with a personal sale you might be able to snag one a little cheaper just before the seller has winterized. Once that is over and the boat is in storage its out of sight out of mind.

But with a dealer. They're sitting on that boat all winter, you can go in late January, or into Feb and strike a good deal. I got mine in March this spring and it worked out great price wise.

Edited by Levi900RR

They (other threads I have read) say 25-30% off MSRP is a good deal on a new boat. Even with the new models coming out I'm not sure you are going to find a new 2013 VLX in the 60K range. If you haven't already, I would go sit in a VLX. Coming from a 24' it may feel really small to you. When we sold our 23 we looked at the VLX, but it just felt too small and we went with another 23. We have a crew of 7, 5 kids and my wife and I, and while it would be ok now we knew the kids wouldn't have to grow much to start to feel crowded.

Good Luck!

I have noticed less VLX's for sale than LSV's but that may just be when I was looking. I like the 23 but it was just too much boat for what we needed. I think for that budget you could find a new leftover or a like new VLX or a 2 year old LSV.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I do realize the budget is my biggest limitation. Anyone have any opinions on the boats I linked above? Fair deals or if they are overpriced at this point?

As far as hours on these boats how many is considered really high? My concern is that with some of these higher hour options I'll run into reliability issues. Anyone want to comment on reliability?

Condition is more important than hours in my opinion. There's great help on here in the form of an inspection checklist if you decide to go used. There's quite a spread of options and price in the boats listed above. I bought a new 2012 VLX at the beginning of this year for just over 60k. 13's have surfgate which will add some dough. The white boat is the one I would choose given the choice based on budget and personal preference. It's also a classic color that will be better for resale. I Love the look of the stratus blue. Used black one seems a bit high IMO. I'd pass on the green. These are just my thoughts and that's why they make all these different colors and options. Gotta get what you want and can afford. Good luck with the search. Can't really go wrong with any of the wakesetter line. My next boat will probably be a 23 LSV. That extra little bit of room and length on the surf wave make it more desireable FOR ME. Not sure where you're located but here's one in my area. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4119523689.html. Funny to me that even though I'm not in the market, I still spend a lot of time looking at boats for sale.

With a regular crew of 8 you'll want a 23LSV. Might have to stretch the budget a couple K's but you need to be in a 2010 23LSV (G3, Maliview, etc.) A crewmember on here had his listed for $66k, not sure what it ended going for though.

PM me. We live in the same part of Florida and you probably want to talk to me before buying a boat from the dealer in those links. Also, I just sold a 23 LSV and you want one over a VLX if you ride w/ more than 3 or 4. You can never have too much space.