Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone upgraded the 5.25 dash speakers to 6.5's

Crustymuffin

I have an 07 VLX. I want to swap out the 5.25: RF dash speakers with a 6.5'. I can increase the opening to house the 6.5 by dremmeling it out. Kind of hard with the windshield there but I think it can be done. Or would it be better to pull the dash out? I also noticed that from underneath in the cubby you can not see the magnet and speaker basket. So I am assuming that the speaker is mounted to the dash and there is another Fiberglass form/panel that the dash amounts to.

Has anyone tried this?

Takes about 10 minutes to remove the windshield. When you enlarge the opening, you may find that you need to offset the new hole so move the speaker out from the windshield frame. You're going to need to keep the speaker edge closest to the windshield in about the same spot as the old smaller speaker.

You sure on that 10 minutes to remove the windshield on a VLX? Might take a bit longer as the VLX from that year has the full wrap around windshield. The newer windshields are easier to remove.

Well, takes me 8.375 minutes, so I figured a little longer for others.

I'm guessing Bobby took longer than 10 minutes!!

don't worry the 2nd times is always easier and faster!

Edited by happypappy

Thanks! I was already thinking of not going closer to the windshield with the circumference of the new hole. Is the windshield mounted from the underneath? I notice several bolts that appeared to line up with the windshield shape the last time I was under there. Pretty sure they were for the windshield mount. Please advise if I’m wrong.

Thanks Again!!

Crusty,

On the few that I have experience with, there is a rubber gasket as the bottom of the glass that pops into a channel and covers the screws. Its a combination of wood screws that bite into the fiberglass and machine screws with nuts and washers. Its not a big job to pull the windshield with a helper.

• Like 1

Ya, It's not a 10 minute job. Some of the nuts are tough to get to with all the trim panels in place.Especially the ones at the driver's arm rest area. The screws under the rubber gasket are the easy part.

I figured a guy like MLA with all his YEARS of knowledge would know better.

On a lighter note, they have pills that can help with that. Might want to consult your pyhsician.

• Like 2

Ya, It's not a 10 minute job. Some of the nuts are tough to get to with all the trim panels in place.Especially the ones at the driver's arm rest area. The screws under the rubber gasket are the easy part.

I figured a guy like MLA with all his YEARS of knowledge would know better.

On a lighter note, they have pills that can help with that. Might want to consult your pyhsician.

It's never as easy as the video or your bro-in-law says!!

As long as you have the properly size hammer wrench, you can make anything fit!