Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Me Get My Dumb Boat Running - Could Be a Prize

You should have asked your wife. The one suggestion she probably would have had was "Did you check the spark plugs?". :Tease3:

The wife doesn't even know we have a boat, let alone how an engine works let alone even want to go to with me because she thinks I will make her drive, which I would because that's the only way I can ski. It goes on and on.

The plugs were maybe 4 years old but probably less than 100 hours on them. Just doesn't seem right.

I hope she's fixed and I'm not trying to be negative but I'm not convinced that was the problem. It just doesn't seem possible. How long did you run her when you took her out? Man that would be the craziest thing I've ever heard of. When I got my boat the plugs were 4 years old with 200 hours on them, burnt out and the rotor cap looked like the previous owner was growing a science experiment in it and it ran pretty good. But then again, my luck is not so good, mine was the $1500 ECM. Mine would run great one day then the next outing go into limp or not start at all. Glad to hear she's purring again, hope she stays that way for you.

• Like 2

I hope she's fixed and I'm not trying to be negative but I'm not convinced that was the problem. It just doesn't seem possible. How long did you run her when you took her out? Man that would be the craziest thing I've ever heard of. When I got my boat the plugs were 4 years old with 200 hours on them, burnt out and the rotor cap looked like the previous owner was growing a science experiment in it and it ran pretty good. But then again, my luck is not so good, mine was the $1500 ECM. Mine would run great one day then the next outing go into limp or not start at all. Glad to hear she's purring again, hope she stays that way for you.

Ran her for 45 minutes with a number of stops and restarts "just to see". All with no problems. I agree it is a crazy cause . . . . but whatever, it's working. From now on whenever someone has a runnability issue here and I choose to mouth off, my first response will be -- PLUGS!!

The wife doesn't even know we have a boat, let alone how an engine works let alone even want to go to with me because she thinks I will make her drive, which I would because that's the only way I can ski. It goes on and on.

Ummmmm, did we marry the same woman? Wait, mine will ride, but she now refuses to drive since we got the Malibu. "That thing doesn't steer right. " She only hated driving before, but would do it.

Ummmmm, did we marry the same woman? Wait, mine will ride, but she now refuses to drive since we got the Malibu. "That thing doesn't steer right. " She only hated driving before, but would do it.

She has other redeeming qualities, but it is so maddening that she wants no part of something I enjoy so much. As long as she does not complain when I do my things (snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, boat, jetski). She is always invited, so I am in the clear. I think.

Can't buy into the spark plug thing. So...I know how to turn a dishwasher into a back-up boat propulsion unit.

Try pulling a plug wire and sticking a Phillips head screwdriver tip into the wire end Hold the screwdriver with the wire attached so that the metal of the screwdriver is about an eighth of an inch away from the plug end and crank the engine. you should see the spark jump to the plug. If not, you may have a weak coil or bad ignition. Be sure you hold the screwdriver by the plastic to avoid a jolt. It takes more voltage to jump a spark under compression than in free air. This test will do both. If you see a spark to the plug there must also be a spark inside the motor. Your problem seems like timing or ignition. Sometimes a worn timing chain will jump time when first starting the motor.

Gary

MalibuNation

OK here we go. I'm just glad you were the first abuser JG. I feel so much better about myself now. Don't let the slit wrists bother you at all.

How about changing your nic name to: "Sparky"?

She has other redeeming qualities, but it is so maddening that she wants no part of something I enjoy so much. As long as she does not complain when I do my things (snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, boat, jetski). She is always invited, so I am in the clear. I think.

BD can you post some pix of the old plugs? Something tells me that your boat has a problem with fouling them. Either too rich or maybe burning a bit of oil. How many hours on this engine?

BD can you post some pix of the old plugs? Something tells me that your boat has a problem with fouling them. Either too rich or maybe burning a bit of oil. How many hours on this engine?

I picked the boat up on a closed day and they did not leave the old ones in it. In the fall when I pulled plugs they were black but not overly so, and certainly not sooty. Doesn't burn any oil based on the dipstick checks throughout the season. Fortunately I have a SKI boat and not one of those silly boats with the backward engines which are asked to perform like Ohio River tug boats. Original engine has only about 625 hours on it.

• Like 3

And I still can't understand why you let them change all eight plugs at the same time. Clearly, they couldn't all be bad. You should write a seething snotgram to the service department manager.

And I still can't understand why you let them change all eight plugs at the same time. Clearly, they couldn't all be bad. You should write a seething snotgram to the service department manager.

It makes no sense I agree, but before the plug change there was no firing from any of the 8 at all. Nothing. Change the plugs and it growls like a bad boy.

I picked the boat up on a closed day and they did not leave the old ones in it. In the fall when I pulled plugs they were black but not overly so, and certainly not sooty. Doesn't burn any oil based on the dipstick checks throughout the season. Fortunately I have a SKI boat and not one of those silly boats with the backward engines which are asked to perform like Ohio River tug boats. Original engine has only about 625 hours on it.

Hey....be nice! I happen to be an owner of one of those backwards engine Ohio River tugboat performing boats. But seriously.....if your plugs aren't fouling from oil burning then they're fouling from a rich are/fuel mixture. I think I read in an earlier post that your plugs had ~100 hours on them, correct? That's pretty short plug life for a fuel injected engine.

Hey....be nice! I happen to be an owner of one of those backwards engine Ohio River tugboat performing boats. But seriously.....if your plugs aren't fouling from oil burning then they're fouling from a rich are/fuel mixture. I think I read in an earlier post that your plugs had ~100 hours on them, correct? That's pretty short plug life for a fuel injected engine.

I agree. If it is running rich, how involved is it to diagnose properly and repair? What other symptoms would be present? It seema to be running quite nicely now and starts instantly like it used to.

And BTW, I like you Nuttyskier because you are an overall nice guy and you gave me invaluable advice along the way and I appreciate it. I didn't mean to slam your backwards engined Ohio River Tugboat performing boat, but was merely trying to state that since I have a forward facing engined, properly designed awesome beast of a ski boat, I don't consume oil at the 1 quart per 10 hours rate that some tugboats see. That's all. No attack. Really. Trust me. I'm tyring to be a Gooddog.

See any black smoke when you accelerate? Does the exhaust smell like every care built before 1984? (I can't think of a better way to explain that smell.)

See any black smoke when you accelerate? Does the exhaust smell like every care built before 1984? (I can't think of a better way to explain that smell.)

I know the smell. I was there then. But no, I see no smoke and no odor of unfettered and unburnt fuel.

so all of your fuel is getting fettered?

had to; just had to. :whistle:

It is getting fettered as well as unfossilated. But not discombobulated, fortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I know this thread is a couple weeks old but I just read through the whole thing! God I am so glad I can work on my own boat, no offense baddog but like someone said earlier its hard to beat someone at their own game. You had 8 months of headache and frustration that was solved by a $150 repair.

FYI the plugs are believable to me b/c with all that fuel you dumped in the throttle body they got soaked with fuel and will not fire like that. I do believe there was another issue that originally caused this no start problem that was probably fixed when you replaced the ignition control module, coil, rotor & cap.

Sorry I know this thread is a couple weeks old but I just read through the whole thing! God I am so glad I can work on my own boat, no offense baddog but like someone said earlier its hard to beat someone at their own game. You had 8 months of headache and frustration that was solved by a $150 repair.

FYI the plugs are believable to me b/c with all that fuel you dumped in the throttle body they got soaked with fuel and will not fire like that. I do believe there was another issue that originally caused this no start problem that was probably fixed when you replaced the ignition control module, coil, rotor & cap.

Good postulation and probably right on the money. i only wish the dealer had saved the old plugs for me to compare. Oh well, it's runing well now and since it is the season, I am happy.