Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Propping a 2005 RLXI 383

I know that there have been many threads on propping but I have not found exactly what I am looking for. I currently have a 13 x 12 3 blade on my 2005 RLXI 383. I am at about 5250 Rpms at WOT doing 50mph. The hole shot is great. My guess is that even if I went up a to a 13 x 13 or maybe even a 13 x 14? that given the Hammerhead 383's power that I may not be loosing very much on the bottom end. Is this accurate? Also given that I am in approximately the correct RPM on the top end, would I gain any speed on the top end with a larger pitch. I would assume I will loose some RPM? Forgive my inboard ignorance with proping. I just moved from a 225 Merc outboard where I had a lot of propping experiance but now I am struggling a bit.

What is the rest of the power band like? With our 383, if you put the throttle to the stops, it would hit the rev limiter from about 25-30 mph all the way up to full speed with the stock prop. You're real close on the top end & unless you're hitting the rev limiter at all, I don't think that I'd mess with it.

Is there an audible indication when you hit the rev limiter? Wakegirl, with your 383 was that on an RLXI? The rest of the power band is very strong.

Is there an audible indication when you hit the rev limiter? Wakegirl, with your 383 was that on an RLXI? The rest of the power band is very strong.

Yeah, I don't quite know how to describe it, but edwin's description of it sounding & feeling like it's missing is probably the best. Sorry, no our 383 is in a VLX & with the gear redux there's no accurate comparison for props.

Oh yeah, one more question - do you boat at any elevation at all? How about changes in elevation?

I'm running a 13 x 13 and haven't hit the rev limiter yet. It's proven to be a great prop so far, haven't tried a 13 x 14 though. Not sure what that would do for barefoot starts.

I know that there have been many threads on propping but I have not found exactly what I am looking for. I currently have a 13 x 12 3 blade on my 2005 RLXI 383. I am at about 5250 Rpms at WOT doing 50mph. The hole shot is great. My guess is that even if I went up a to a 13 x 13 or maybe even a 13 x 14? that given the Hammerhead 383's power that I may not be loosing very much on the bottom end. Is this accurate? Also given that I am in approximately the correct RPM on the top end, would I gain any speed on the top end with a larger pitch. I would assume I will loose some RPM? Forgive my inboard ignorance with proping. I just moved from a 225 Merc outboard where I had a lot of propping experiance but now I am struggling a bit.

Since you are at 5250 at WOT, your boat is propped close to perfect. If you want to try and eek more out of a prop, order a 13x12 with more cup in it. This should not hurt your holeshot, but will drop the WOT rpms and potentially increase top end (if your motor has anything left to give). If you are running a 13x12@5250 WOT, going to a 13x13 will only be a detriment. I would advise against it. If you are hitting the limiter or spinning the prop through the powerband it might be worthwhile trying.

The other item that will affect your boat performance and propping as compared to others is your altitude and temperatures.

Peter.

I spent some time in the boat trying to accurately get some timings. 0 - 30 is 4.0 - 4.1 seconds. At WOT, I did notice the rev limiter kicking in and bringing me down from about 5300 to 5200 so I assume a 13 may have some potential. I had two other 13x13's to try this weekend, a 3 blade and a 4 blade, but unfortunately they were off of a Moomba with a smaller diameter shaft.

No, I think I was just being over concerned. The HH does have a unique sound, but I am almost certain it is running perfectly. I had my motor head brother over this weekend and he didn't hear anything of concern. I have a few items that need addressing by the dealer at some point so when I take the boat in, I will have them listen to it to insure everything is fine. Any idea what your 0 - 30 time is and your WOT speed and RPMs are? Thanks!

No, I think I was just being over concerned. The HH does have a unique sound, but I am almost certain it is running perfectly. I had my motor head brother over this weekend and he didn't hear anything of concern. I have a few items that need addressing by the dealer at some point so when I take the boat in, I will have them listen to it to insure everything is fine. Any idea what your 0 - 30 time is and your WOT speed and RPMs are? Thanks!

0-30 was in the low to mid 4 second range...max rpm yesterday with the OJ XMP 13x12 was 5030, top speed was 46.3mph. FWIW, the wakes behind the RLXi are softer with the XMP than the ACME that came on the boat.