Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What did I miss?

I am actually slightly leaning against doing it. I more like the idea of draining everything...letting it sit for a couple of days with the plugs out, even trailering it a bit just up our road to ensure it gets everything out and then putting it back together. I have read from multiple posts that sometimes you keep the impeller in over the winter and some say take it out. I would rather keep it in and use it for next season if possible. I like your boat by the way, I have always wanted to sit in an MB

I am actually slightly leaning against doing it. I more like the idea of draining everything...letting it sit for a couple of days with the plugs out, even trailering it a bit just up our road to ensure it gets everything out and then putting it back together. I have read from multiple posts that sometimes you keep the impeller in over the winter and some say take it out. I would rather keep it in and use it for next season if possible. I like your boat by the way, I have always wanted to sit in an MB

Open all the drain areas and let the deluge out. Then spend a minute or two at each point with your shop vac to suck up any residual, then close her up, especially the drains into the block. Done.

meh, I wouldn't bother. If you change it every year, it makes no difference whether you leave it in the raw water pump or not. There appear to be two kinds of impeller failures we ever hear about. The first is where the impeller just fails because it's defective (i.e. spins the hub). The second is where somebody doesn't change it for a decade. The first scenario is unavoidable. It just happens. And if you If you change it every year, the second scenario is very unlikely.

If you want to remove it it's not going to hurt, but probably wont help either. Sorta like antifreeze in the block imho.

Many times the gasket will get tore up and/or not seat right when replacing (it's just thick paper if I remember correctly). I suggest pulling it this year just to get familiar with how to do it. Then keep a spare on hand and the necessary tools to change it out on the water if need be.

Too bad no one lives really close to me. I don't feel that confident doing this myself. First timers confidence I guess.

Find a crew member who either doesn't have any kids, or their kids are out of the house. Set up a google hangout on your iPad and have them watch and direct you through the process. Buy them a membership to some exotic beer club or something for their time.

I wish I had a few spare hours, I'd totally do that for you.

Good luck.

If you are gonna pull the raw water impeller just for the experience, do it in the spring when you will be able to check your work right after. If you do it now you have a whole winter to forget how to do it and to forget that checking your work is important for the first day back on the water.

Edited by shawndoggy

do you remove the impellar if it is still new>?

I have never pulled an impeller in fall. At least not for 20+ years of boating. Depending on the spring, they haven't always gotten replaced every year either. The only time I had an issue with an inpeller was when I used a Sierra housing (Mercruiser) and it would barly draw water. Put a Merc housing on and it was fine.