Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What did I miss?

Today I was trying to winterize the engine. I drained everything completely and then I put my antifreeze a bucket and hooked it up the fal. After a few seconds there was no antifreeze coming through so I shut down the engine. I am not sure why the antifreeze wasn't sucked through the engine but any help would be appreciated. I was going to skip this step but now it has me worried that I ran the engine dry. It wasn't my intention but after waiting for it to come through I found it better to shut the engine down rather than risk damaging anything.

My dealer said the easiest way to get AF into the cooling system is to disconnect the 1-1/4" hose from the port side of the transmission and pour it into the hose (with the boat running). I did this the first year I had the boat. Then I installed a tee in the line coming from the thru hull to the starboard side of the transmission with a shut-off. I then rigged a funnel to attach to the shut-off with a hose quick disconnect so I could also use this to attached a garden hose to run water through if I needed to run the boat out of the water. When I need to get AF in, I close the thru hull, open the valve on the tee, attach the funnel, start the engine, and pour in the AF. I never had good luck with the FAL. This system has worked flawless for me for years.

Edit: Do all of this AFTER draining all of the water out of the engine block and exhaust manifold, of course!

Edited by Tao of Wake

I am also an NCer, but I agree with Nate. I don't run antifreeze either. I drain everything and call it a day. I now invest the money I would have spent on all that antifreeze into draining my sorrows of a winterized boat away in beer.

Edited by wakedncsu
  • Like 3

I didn't pull the tstat because I just had the engine up to operating temp. I may just re-drain everything and keep it that way.

As Nate asked, did the level of the bucket drop, indicating that the raw water pump was drawing in the antifreeze? N an empty block will take a minute fill, so this would be a reason to not see anything exiting the exhaust. This difference being IF the antifreeze was being drawn into the block or not.

Since you did drain first, and if it was only 100% antifreeze in the bucket, I see no need to drain again. Either continue with the plan, or leave it.

Us hard-core boaters here in NC, can go year-round if you have some stones :whistle:

Edited by MLA

The anti freeze did not drop. Maybe there was bad suction? I am afraid to try it again at the risk or running the engine dry.

Open your block drains and see if anything comes out. If not, close them, and pull the biggest hose off your Stat housing (the one that goes to the Circ pump). Pour 2-2.5 gallons of antifreeze into that hose, and your block is now full of antifreeze. Repeat this step for the exhaust, just using the 2 hoses that go to the bottom of them. They should each take about 1/2 gallon or so. Your motor and exhaust are now ready for winter.

why it didn't pull is beyond me, possible air leak, possible impeller issue. You need to check the impeller in spring before you run it to make sure its okay.

Can you please shoot me a photo of the hoses you are talking about? I am somewhat a noob to the 350 monsoon. I hope the impellar is ok. The boat has 4 hours on it. I ran it on a fal again tonight since it is easy to drain to ensure it was pulling water. It pulld water and the temp stayed at 160*.

I am just not sure where the t stat housing is I guess. It may be the same hose I took off for the draining.

Today I was trying to winterize the engine. I drained everything completely and then I put my antifreeze a bucket and hooked it up the fal. After a few seconds there was no antifreeze coming through so I shut down the engine. I am not sure why the antifreeze wasn't sucked through the engine but any help would be appreciated. I was going to skip this step but now it has me worried that I ran the engine dry. It wasn't my intention but after waiting for it to come through I found it better to shut the engine down rather than risk damaging anything.

So was the bucket of antifreeze gravity feeding the fake a lake? if so, I do not think you are supplying enough volume to the system. The ID of a typical fake a lake is probably .5" and the raw water intake hose is .1.25".

Can you please shoot me a photo of the hoses you are talking about? I am somewhat a noob to the 350 monsoon. I hope the impellar is ok. The boat has 4 hours on it. I ran it on a fal again tonight since it is easy to drain to ensure it was pulling water. It pulld water and the temp stayed at 160*.

I am just not sure where the t stat housing is I guess. It may be the same hose I took off for the draining.

check your PM's

Can someone with a newer engine that has the Cats on it tell me if you drain them and fill with antifreeze the same as you did the older style manifolds.

ha...ha....ha. MSU is just for people that couldn't get into UofM! I went there for graduate school but half of my family went to MSU. As long as they didn't go to Ohio State it doesn't bother me.

I understand the OCD on this but I listened to a seasoned bu mechanic who said it wasn't worth it....but you can warm the boat up again (I'd actually suggest pulling the t-stat), then pull this hose off the intake grate, rotate it up high (the fitting going into the vdrive should swivel), stuff a large funnel into it, fill it with AF, start boat, keep filling till you've run 4-5 gallons through it. Probably need a helper and it might suck faster than you can pour it out but it should definitely prime the pump and move fluid.

Go Blue....next week!!

post-8316-0-52542900-1381839672_thumb.jp

Edited by Ndawg12

I thought about doing it that way. That line goes over to the raw water pump right? My only concern is not being able to pour fast enough to keep it lubricated. Also I am not 100% sure where the t-stat is.

Not sure if you can re-use the gaskets or if it's a 1 or 2 piece construction but it's located in here transom side above raw water pump, you have to remove the intake plenum. Did I mention adding AF is a PITA and hardly worth it..... :tease:

post-8316-0-45274600-1381848582_thumb.jp

got it. Do you guys think I did any damage to the impeller with the accidental dry run yesterday? I ran it again with water after and everything seemed fine. Only 4 hours on boat total.

speaking from experience, I'll bet a cup of coffee that your impeller is fine. New impeller, run for less than a minute. It takes more than that to ruin them.

to fill the block with antifreeze I agree with the others... fill from the top of the motor if you really feel you need to do it.