Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jumps when going into gear? "1991 Skier F3"

I recently purchased this boat and its my first one ever.. When I found it it had been sitting for years and was not running. Seems to run great now after tune-up but I'm still having a few little problems.

When I put the boat in gear I have to throttle it up to about 2,000RPM before it the prop starts to spin (not smooth transition). This is the same in reverse and drive. Almost feels like there is a stall converter in there?? Is this normal and just need to get use to it?

Thanks in advance..

It is definately not normal. The prop should start to spin immediately when you engage drive or reverse.

I would start with making sure the transmission fluid is at the proper level. If that is ok I would check the throttle linkage next. By "throttle" there are two cables one to the engine and one to the transmission. One or both may be off.

• Like 1

The boat transmission is simply a forward or reverse device, it does not function like a torque converter (the prop acutally does that). As noted, your symptoms are not normal but indicative of a lack of fluid or possibly the wrong fluid. Another possibility is someone mixed ATF in to the trans when there was some hydraulic fluid already in there. You might want to suck out the fluid and replenishing with fresh fluid. What transmission is in the boat? Some can take either ATF or hydraulic fluid but not mixed.

It's either the transmission linkage or a bad trans.

I must assume you checked the trans fluid in the process of fixing it up and getting it to run. Was the trans fluid red or brown?

Mines had red Dexron 3, since I bought it in 2001. Original specs call for CT3 hydraulic fluid (brown), i think.

If it's the linkage, it usually takes an experienced marine mech. to get it right.

One way to check the trans is to remove the trans cable from the trans and shift it by hand (right at the trans.) If it goes into gear and the prop spins right away, then the trans should be fine and it's the linkage.

Edited by JasonK

If diagnosing this in your driveway, one thing you need to know: if you put it in gear out of the water, it will make the most awful noise you have ever heard from a boat. That noise comes from the drive shaft bushing not being lubricated. Best not to do this.

Two possible problems from your discription the first one below sounds more likely to me.

It sounds to me like you have to rev the engine to 2000 before the transmission engages at all, then you get a klunk of as it slams into gear. After that there is no slipping.... if this is the case.. it would be a problem with the throttle/transmission linkage being out of adjustment. you can find adjustment points on the back side of the trottle lever by the drivers seat as well as on the engine itself.

If however you put it gear at about 500RPM and the boat begins to move but then rev it up to about 2000 with no significant increase in speed, then the transmission is slipping... change all your fluids and see if it improves.

• 8 months later...

I am dealing with the very same issue now, but only in reverse. I did just change my tranny fluid to a Dex 3 but I have no idea what was in there beofr (it was a dark red fluid though). Is the throttle linkage a some what DIY project? Anyone have any pics or advise on how to adjust this? Is it just a typical cable adjustment and keep playing with it until you got it where you want it?

I am dealing with the very same issue now, but only in reverse. I did just change my tranny fluid to a Dex 3 but I have no idea what was in there beofr (it was a dark red fluid though). Is the throttle linkage a some what DIY project? Anyone have any pics or advise on how to adjust this? Is it just a typical cable adjustment and keep playing with it until you got it where you want it?

Did it do this before the fluid change?

No it did not do it before the fluid change. I have since played with the cable to get it to fully engage previous to the throttle cable moving, so I hope this will work. I have not had a chance to run it yet also.

No it did not do it before the fluid change. I have since played with the cable to get it to fully engage previous to the throttle cable moving, so I hope this will work. I have not had a chance to run it yet also.

Are you absolutely certain you have the correct fluid and absolutely certan the level is correct? Might try changing it again. Fluid is cheap, Tranny is not.

I used a Dex 3 from the dealer so I am assuming it is correct. It did re adjust the transmission linkage and everything seems to be working fine now. Just a little curious as to why it happened in the first palce. Is it possible my throttle linkage slipped causing the tranny issue?