Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are you pulling your trailer with?

bdenson

2013 Ford 6.7L diesel, 3.55 rear end

Pulls 23 LSV great but fuel mileage is only around 10-11 mpg. Really don't know the trailer is back there until I get on a good hill.

2012 Ford Explorer. 4x4 3.5L. 6 speed auto. I don't do much pulling but it does a nice job when I have pulled. I have also pulled a 23' enclosed snowmobile trailer and was very surprised how well it did.

It was in the summer no icy roads.

2013 Ford 6.7L diesel, 3.55 rear end

Pulls 23 LSV great but fuel mileage is only around 10-11 mpg. Really don't know the trailer is back there until I get on a good hill.

Might want to have your parking brake off next time! j/k...isn't that pretty low?

I am sure the new Direct Injected 5.3 is better, but still way down when compared to the Ford.

Way down compared to the Ford? Ford offers 4 gas motors for the F-150. The new 5.3 makes similar power with better mileage than the 5.0 and obviously a lot more than the N/A V6. Of course it is down on power compared to the Ecoboost or 6.2L, but the 5.3L isn't supposed to compete with either. The 6.2L GM motor is coming out later this model year - that is something that can be compared.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Way down compared to the Ford? Ford offers 4 gas motors for the F-150. The new 5.3 makes similar power with better mileage than the 5.0 and obviously a lot more than the N/A V6. Of course it is down on power compared to the Ecoboost or 6.2L, but the 5.3L isn't supposed to compete with either. The 6.2L GM motor is coming out later this model year - that is something that can be compared.

I guess you are right and chevy has nothing that can compete with the Eco. My point was that the 5.3 is not the best tow engine available when put up against the competition. So if you want to have the best towing performance and get good mileage unloaded you have to go Ford or Dodge.

I guess you are right and chevy has nothing that can compete with the Eco. My point was that the 5.3 is not the best tow engine available when put up against the competition. So if you want to have the best towing performance and get good mileage unloaded you have to go Ford or Dodge.

Sure GM does (don't forget GMC...as the Ford boys like to do when counting sales). GM still sells the 6.2L motor, just not in the '14 Chevy and GM trucks yet. The new direct injection 6.2L will probably be the class leader when it comes out as the old one was only slightly behind the Ford offering.

As for Dodge, they don't even sell a truck anymore. That is now under the Ram offering, which even the new 6.4L Hemi is only in the current Ford league.

The new 6.2L is supposed to be available now in some GMC and Chevy models.

I have a 1/2 ton 4x4 4 door GMC. 6.2L. Pulls the 21 LSV with ease. I get about 11 - 12 MPG on the highway pulling the boat, and 21-22 highway without a load. I love the power - when i need to switch lanes, pass, go up hill, whatever, it does it. My past truck (same basic vehicle) with the 5.3 was embarrassing.

The key to MPG is staying 65 or below. My last truck had the digital MPG readout on it as it drops quickly as you get over 65.

Well I am going to pull my 23 LSV with a newly ordered GL350 Bluetec starting in January. Drove it today and the 2001 suburban does not compare.

Very strong pulling and easy to maneuver.

Yes there are multiple configurations of the 5.3 (Flex fuel, AL, Cast Iron, etc) but they all have the same bore and stroke. The 5.3 in your Buick is the LM4 or LH6 (depending on what year) Throughout all the years and different configurations the peak torque numbers are pretty consistent between 320-340 pound feet. I am sure the new Direct Injected 5.3 is better, but still way down when compared to the Ford.

Ford always seem to have better TQ numbers for a comparable sized engine. Had the 5.4 Triton in a Ford F150Harley and it was a little torque monster. Although I do like the 6.2 better in the present F150, although it is a tad thirsty.

Soon is right, as long as or if I can ever keep it at 55-65, the gas mileage is better, 70+ not soooo good!

Sure GM does (don't forget GMC...as the Ford boys like to do when counting sales). GM still sells the 6.2L motor, just not in the '14 Chevy and GM trucks yet. The new direct injection 6.2L will probably be the class leader when it comes out as the old one was only slightly behind the Ford offering.

As for Dodge, they don't even sell a truck anymore. That is now under the Ram offering, which even the new 6.4L Hemi is only in the current Ford league.

General Motors sold 626,046 pick up trucks in 2011 compared to Ford with 632,353 and I even included the Caddy EXT. :) I believe that in 2012 Ford gained even more market share.

The 6.2 that I have in my truck does not tow as nice as the V6 turbo. (It's really hard to compete with the torque curve of the EcoB) Chevy really missed an opportunity as I know they have a pretty cool new DI turbo motor for Caddy. Oh well, perhaps 2015.

Ford always seem to have better TQ numbers for a comparable sized engine. Had the 5.4 Triton in a Ford F150Harley and it was a little torque monster. Although I do like the 6.2 better in the present F150, although it is a tad thirsty.

Soon is right, as long as or if I can ever keep it at 55-65, the gas mileage is better, 70+ not soooo good!

I agree with you on the TQ numbers. Been that way for quite a while. My opinion, you hook an LSV to any light duty truck and it's going get between 9-12 mpg no matter what gas engine you choose. It just takes X amount of energy to move 12,000 pounds and all the little mileage tricks like stop start, small displacement turbos, shudders, ride height, etc are not worth much any more. 1st world problems.....

Well I am going to pull my 23 LSV with a newly ordered GL350 Bluetec starting in January. Drove it today and the 2001 suburban does not compare.

Very strong pulling and easy to maneuver.

Congrats! Another Euro convert! MB does a good job with their diesel offerings. (As does Audi and VW.) I'm looking forward to BMW catching up there a little bit. (X5 M50d)

pulling the 2010 23 LSV with a 2002 cadillac escalade. I live on the water though so I only trailer twice a year for about 4 miles per trip.

6bhUnl1.jpg

I've heard of some big aftermarket biminis, but that is HUGE. Can't say I care for the color scheme either...

pulling the 2010 23 LSV with a 2002 cadillac escalade. I live on the water though so I only trailer twice a year for about 4 miles per trip.

6bhUnl1.jpg

And yet, there you are at the pump already. What kind of gas mileage does that Caddy get that you need gas after a 4 mile trip??

• Like 3

I've heard of some big aftermarket biminis, but that is HUGE. Can't say I care for the color scheme either...

Haha I'll admit it's ugly...but on the bright side, it's really heavy and acts as extra ballast!

And yet, there you are at the pump already. What kind of gas mileage does that Caddy get that you need gas after a 4 mile trip??

That was the first day of the season (late March) and didn't want to fill up at the Marina. I'm not sure about the gas mileage though, probably 10-12 with the boat on the back...SO impressive!
Edited by PSchenk

Ford Explorer Sport with Ecoboost V6, tugging a 23 XTi. Great power, no issues after 1500+ miles of towing. Replaced a Suburban 5.3L with tow pack...similar experience to you, the 5.3 is weak.

• Like 1

We tow our Echelon with my wife's 2011 F250 diesel. After having my 2005 F150 for 6 years towing various boats, there is no comparison in towing. It doesn't even know the Malibu is back there & we get to tow our 8,000lb Trailer up the mountains in 6th gear. We just got back from a trip to Yellowstone then Seattle, back to Lodi & got 14 MPG. I absolutely love this truck & plan to replace "my" Dodge Dually with a new Ford Dually this year.

David

We pull our LSV with a 2010 chevy 1/2ton with 6.2 motor. Awsome pulling vehicle

CB

I saw the specs on the new 6.2 they are putting in the new trucks. Something like 460 ft/lbs of torque! That should pull about anything you need!

Towed my 12 23 LSV with a 03 5.3 suburban with 373s. 3000 miles a summer between DC and Vt. Averaged 9 MPGs with out passing anyone on inclines. Currently tow my G23 with a 13 F250 6.7 returning 13 MPGs towing and 20.8 empty. Would love to have had this truck with the Bu's but neither my VLX or LSV required the upgrade Like the G did