Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are you pulling your trailer with?

bdenson

I miss the truck we used to tow the bike trailer with...

Sorry for the little pics its all I could find from the old days.

Wow, what was the turning radius of that thing?? Awesome for over the road towing with 9 of your closest friends. Cool truck

With 1,100 ft-lbs of torgue you can tow your house.

Yeah........or a train. Hahaha. Told ya, a little bit of an overkill, but it was built with idea of towing anything I want.

You don't tow with many hills I assume?

Yes there are some, not a 20k Everest pass though.

Can always count on you to provide some levity. I assume by your remarks you think you need a diesel for a 5k tow?

Its not till this latest 8500lb upgrade have I felt as though I could justify a 3/4T diesel. I towed prob 30k+ miles with the 5k Yamaha, 7.5k 247, and a 8k RV, and now 8.5k G, with the Tundra, thru plenty of hills, Smoky Moutains and the extreme grades where truckers are at 10-15mph, I was at 45 with those loads on those grades.

70k miles and flawless, I run that truck hard, 120+ degs here in the summer. Temp and tranny guages have never moved once ever. I give it an A- because I'd like to maintain 75 speed limit with no downshifting, and also the gas...6-10mpg's while towing is rough on a small 23gal? tank.

The only 1/2T gassers that can match/exceed the Tundra are the Ford/Chevy 6.2s....and maybe now the Eco from what we are seeing.

This video is one of the main reasons I bought a Tundra. It'd be inetresting to see this test redone on 2014s, with all the new engines available. They should also include a MPG test at 70mph over regular interstate driving under load.

How you do link a Youtube video on this website? I can never figure out how to do it.

Edited by Malibudude
There ya go...

Having towed a 31ft, 5500lb travel trailer across the country with a 1/2 ton 5.7 Suburban, I swore I'd never do that again. The Sub could do it, but not well. It was a white-knuckler the entire vacation and I was exhausted when it was over. The truck swayed in the wind, didn't stop well, and accelerated even worse. Then came the hills, terribe. Yes it handled it, but it was stressful for a young father taking his family on "vacation".

My next vehicle was a F250 7.3 Diesel Ford Super Duty. Night and day. Travel trailer is gone and I don't tow the boat often, but when I do, I feel I have complete control, the truck isn't stressed or straining to turn, stop, accelerate or maintain speed. I don't have towing MPG, but empty I get 15 city/ 20 highway. Its a daily driver that plows snow and hauls firewood. If I had to replace it, I would get another 3/4 ton.

Having a little too much is better than having a little too little.

:plus1: even this reply won't format right, sometimes I think buttons come up missing, haven't been able to imbed a video for a while now for some reason....

Can always count on you to provide some levity. I assume by your remarks you think you need a diesel for a 5k tow?

Its not till this latest 8500lb upgrade have I felt as though I could justify a 3/4T diesel. I towed prob 30k+ miles with the 5k Yamaha, 7.5k 247, and a 8k RV, and now 8.5k G, with the Tundra, thru plenty of hills, Smoky Moutains and the extreme grades where truckers are at 10-15mph, I was at 45 with those loads on those grades.

70k miles and flawless, I run that truck hard, 120+ degs here in the summer. Temp and tranny guages have never moved once ever. I give it an A- because I'd like to maintain 75 speed limit with no downshifting, and also the gas...6-10mpg's while towing is rough on a small 23gal? tank.

The only 1/2T gassers that can match/exceed the Tundra are the Ford/Chevy 6.2s....and maybe now the Eco from what we are seeing.

This video is one of the main reasons I bought a Tundra. It'd be inetresting to see this test redone on 2014s, with all the new engines available. They should also include a MPG test at 70mph over regular interstate driving under load.

http://youtu.be/hJbfkNKkWFg

How you do link a Youtube video on this website? I can never figure out how to do it.

Edited by Ndawg12

Seriously...whenever Ive wanted to share a video, its been a knockdown drag out to do so. It should be as easy as pasting the link from the share location and done.

I used to be able to do that, and paste it as an image. The first frame of the video would show and thats it, but if you clicked it, it would open the video in another screen. Seem Vimeo videos are the only ones that share easily on here.

That video is good one for this discussion.

Edited by nyryan2001

OK, I see what you are saying. I go on several boating sites and it is always the same thing, " I have a 20 foot bowrider and my Subaru doesn't pull it well." And that gets the response, "Duramax and you'll never know it's there." While that is true, you could also say that getting your CDL and buying a Kenworth would tow the heck out of it. Taking some care and time when you tow allows you to use a smaller tow vehicle. Just because your tow vehicle feels loaded, doesn't mean it is overloaded. Driving a truck empty that has the power to haul and tow is going to feel light and nimble compared to being loaded. You aren't going to get the same effect of unloaded and loaded, whether you think your truck knows it's there or not. cheers

We all have our own vision/version when reading these snippets/comments, that never provide all the details to illuminate our perspective, and I know a skilled driver makes a huge difference. Have my CDL for a few decades, back in the day when my profession was farming. Zipping down the road with 40,000+ pounds of grapes behind you makes you drive a tad different than folks in their Camry with both hands busy with an egg mcmuffin and cell phone!!

Decades ago, I bought a new Ski Centurion Falcon from an outta state going outta business dealer. All I had was a 1983 S-10 with a 2.8L V-6. The little S-10 did the job, which included a 7,500 ft mountain pass....took awhile, but I made it home. I was not all that worried about going, but more concerned about making it home/stopping, as the new boat and trailer probably weighed as much as the S-10 did. That S-10 was one of the best vehicles I have owned. Put 250,000+ miles on it, it ran great to the day I sold it.

We all have our own vision/version when reading these snippets/comments, that never provide all the details to illuminate our perspective, and I know a skilled driver makes a huge difference. Have my CDL for a few decades, back in the day when my profession was farming. Zipping down the road with 40,000+ pounds of grapes behind you makes you drive a tad different than folks in their Camry with both hands busy with an egg mcmuffin and cell phone!!

Decades ago, I bought a new Ski Centurion Falcon from an outta state going outta business dealer. All I had was a 1983 S-10 with a 2.8L V-6. The little S-10 did the job, which included a 7,500 ft mountain pass....took awhile, but I made it home. I was not all that worried about going, but more concerned about making it home/stopping, as the new boat and trailer probably weighed as much as the S-10 did. That S-10 was one of the best vehicles I have owned. Put 250,000+ miles on it, it ran great to the day I sold it.

Only to fall apart the day after??

http://youtu.be/hJbfkNKkWFg

Maybe this explains some of your concern expressed in my thread about supercharging my Tundra so that I could pull my toy hauler. You could not exactly understand why I thought the Tundra couldn't do it.

To me, slowing to 45 MPH is unacceptable, even on the worst hills. I suspect with my 8500 pounds (guessing here) toy hauler, I would be going 40 MPH over the mountain passes. So I am sure that by your standards, the Tundra could pull my toy hauler, it is rated to pull just over 10K. But to get it still going 60 + on the hills is going to require a diesel, and that is the standard that I am wanting to hold.

Pulling my 247, the tundra does very well, except that it sucks gas. I can cruise up the steepest of canyons around here and still remain at 65MPH. But on the other hand, my diesel excursion can stay at 75 on those same steep hills.

2013-09-01120811_zps9815cf75.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/861565?ad_cid=8

Any constructive criticism on why it has not sold yet would be appreciated. No one has come to see it in person, so it can't be something about the condition of the truck...it really is in great condition, and you cannot tell that by pics alone.

People rarely get book value. It's a basic guidline. I don't think your priced agressively enough. Approching 30k on a truck with nearly 50k on the clock, no leather, no nav. I know what the book says, but real life......I think you are about 2-3k to high in just your asking price. Especially this time of year.

• Like 1

TallRed- I think something may be confused here.... I wasnt advocating putting a supercharger on there... only adding that is was possible when you wanted to discuss all options.

and 45mph up the steep hills...with heavy load. thats in a controlled fashion 8k load on a 1/2T not going extreme to the 3500rpm downshift for your life. Not sure why you shaped it into a Tundra vs Excursion argument.... Of course a diesel Excusion would barrel up the mountain loaded down.

TallRed- a lot of folks arent going to buy a vehicle used on a private sale in that high of price range. Your price has to reflect the assumed risk of not buying thru a dealer with mechanical inspection and some type of dealership support.

Also, the rims. I'd love to have them on my truck...as they match my boat trailer... but to many folks they are a discriminator. Some just folks wont like them, and to others its suggests hard 4x4 off road use, especially with the country photo. Recommend you clean and detail the truck, and take pics of it in a parking lot...less country 4x4 suggestive.

Any constructive criticism on why it has not sold yet would be appreciated. No one has come to see it in person, so it can't be something about the condition of the truck...it really is in great condition, and you cannot tell that by pics alone.

Overpriced. I'm seeing trucks '10-'11 models with the same/more options and less miles for less money just from a quick Autotrader search.

Also buyers of quad cab trucks more often than not want leather, as it will be used for more than just "truck" stuff. That limits your buying base a bit too.

Only to fall apart the day after??

Sold it to the bro in law and he kept it for another decade. It was great rig for weekend projects, hauling trash to the landfill, hay, etc. He sold it earlier this year to his neighbor.

I wonder how gorilla's 1100 TQ monster would do against the Ford, Chev and Dodge comparison?