Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are you pulling your trailer with?

bdenson

We bought this a few months ago. I haven't towed with it yet, but will in the spring. 3.73, 3.6 Pentastar. Echelon Lx on the single axle trailer.

The extra light version of the Echelon with no engine... :Tease3:

Agree 100% with MU...just cause it says it'll pull, doesn't mean you should...the entire drivetrain/brakes/etc. on the 1/2 tons pulling 5-6000 # boats is not good.

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't tow my 5k rig with my half ton vehicle that is rated for 9k? I'm not sure I follow that line of thinking. I guess I just don't get the idea of needing a 3/4 ton or larger truck to tow a smaller boat.

The 5.3 isn't known for being a torque monster. Great motor but it runs better in the upper RPM's. My old Z71 had 4.10's and pulled well but wasn't a torque pig like the 6.2 or the newer Eco-boosts.

Personally I would re-gear it.

I went from the Z-71 5.3 to a ford 5.4 and now a Ford 3/4 6.0 powerstroke. The diesel is insane. It drives with the boat like my old half tons drove empty.

A 3/4 ton is not needed, your 1/2 ton will do fine. Just depends on what you want it to perform like.

FWIW, I use mine for more than my boat. I also tow a 40' toy hauler and a 15,000 lb generator.

A 15,000 lb generator?? What are you powering with that thing? An entire camp ground?

I miss the truck we used to tow the bike trailer with...

Sorry for the little pics its all I could find from the old days.

What is that monster? Did you own that? Custom job to add the third row?

Yup, take two F350's... one hit in the front, the other hit in the back. Put them together with a big lift and a 22.5" wheel kit. BOOM

When I did street bike stunt shows our group built that thing as a tow rig. We pulled a 30' enclosed trailer with 6 bikes and all our gear, parts, tires, couches, easy ups etc...

We actually only used it for one summer because one of our sponsors got us a 30' RV. It was a V10 and was HORRIBLE to tow with compared to the 7.3 but it was nice to sleep in a bed or on a couch on overnight trips instead of fighting for one bench seat.

If we had two shows we'd use the 6 door to tow a smaller trailer to closer shows.

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't tow my 5k rig with my half ton vehicle that is rated for 9k? I'm not sure I follow that line of thinking. I guess I just don't get the idea of needing a 3/4 ton or larger truck to tow a smaller boat.

That is not what I said..There are several variations for most 1/2 tons, including v6 engines, shorter box lengths, etc. All of which do not make for an ideal tow rig.....I guess not everyone is set up like you with a mondo bufo tow rig!

20 mpg? Is that down hill?

LOL ... that is average from Houston to Canyon Lake (215 miles)... just keep it at 70... any faster it will want to drop out of overdrive... any slower... the mileage drops and have to keep overdive off.

According to Consumer Reports, the best gasser for towing is probably going to be the Tundra. It actually had a slighlty faster tow time then the Ford with the eco boost. Overall gas milage goes to the GMC/Chevy, although the Tundra was close. #1 rated goes to GMC/Chevy.

I think he meant with the Echelons engine running too for more thrust.

2005 Chevy Avalanche

5.3 liter

4 speed AT & overdrive.

4.11 rear gears

Pulls fine. Not an over abundance of power at freeway speeds. But it doesn't shift down until I get to a pretty steep hill. I've towed to Shasta & back, or Hells Canyon & usually get 11 or 12 mpg if I stay under about 65 mph.

-

Bill

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My 2006 Cummins Mega Cab is a bit of an overkill for towing the LSV, but it does tow nicely. Twin turbos, cam, injectors, head studs, valve springs and pushrods, Smarty tuner, built transmission, air bags, traction bars, etc. Puts down around 550hp/1100lb-ft. Love it.

• Like 2

Like buying diapers for the baby, why get just enough when you can have more than enough. I set the cruise and don't ever look back except to see the boat I am towing. Get a diesel and go to the lake worrying about what you are going to cook when you get there. Just keep it simple, if you need a tow vehicle buy a tow vehicle.

• Like 3

My 2006 Cummins Mega Cab is a bit of an overkill for towing the LSV, but it does tow nicely. Twin turbos, cam, injectors, head studs, valve springs and pushrods, Smarty tuner, built transmission, air bags, traction bars, etc. Puts down around 550hp/1100lb-ft. Love it.

With 1,100 ft-lbs of torgue you can tow your house.

That is not what I said..There are several variations for most 1/2 tons, including v6 engines, shorter box lengths, etc. All of which do not make for an ideal tow rig.....I guess not everyone is set up like you with a mondo bufo tow rig!

OK, I see what you are saying. I go on several boating sites and it is always the same thing, " I have a 20 foot bowrider and my Subaru doesn't pull it well." And that gets the response, "Duramax and you'll never know it's there." While that is true, you could also say that getting your CDL and buying a Kenworth would tow the heck out of it. Taking some care and time when you tow allows you to use a smaller tow vehicle. Just because your tow vehicle feels loaded, doesn't mean it is overloaded. Driving a truck empty that has the power to haul and tow is going to feel light and nimble compared to being loaded. You aren't going to get the same effect of unloaded and loaded, whether you think your truck knows it's there or not. cheers