Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are you pulling your trailer with?

bdenson

I can't see how these guys are getting double digit fuel mileage on these gassers. I have a 2013 4x4 Eco 22's and 33's and it tows like a beast but if I get 8-9mph towing that's good.

• Like 2

I tow with an 08 tundra 5.7, barely know my boat is back there, if my trailer brakes worked better, i wouldnt know it was there at all...usually around 2000rpms at 65 mph. Mpg towing around 12 or 13.

Tundra rocks man! Greatest rig Ive ever towed with and Ive owned like 3 different half tons!

I tow with my '02 Avalanche. I've had it for 8 years, put a bunch of miles on it and she is mechanically sound so no good reason to trade up. 5.3L, 4-speed tranny, 3.73's (only option the truck is missing is 4.10's, sadly). This is a heavier truck than yours, less powerful 5.3L and doesn't have those extra gears to play with + a heavier rig and it does good enough.

I average about 10-11MPG on flat land, 8-9 towing through mountains. She seems to tow better at 75 than 65.

I only do a couple long tows a year (but those are 6-8 hour tows), other wise it is 3 minutes to the ramp. But she handles it well enough to not trade in for something more powerful.

I tow my 01 VLX with a 06 Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 V8, I know the boat is back there but I get about 10-12 mpg towing. I only tow 5-10 miles to the ramp and a couple 4-5 hr trips north to Arkansas during the summer and it does the job. If I move up to a 23 or 247, I may look at getting one of the newer Tundra's and give the Ford a good look to so I can see what all the talk is about.

'12 Sierra 6.2L and it pulls our 23 LSV just fine. We also have a '08 5.3L the we used before we picked up the GMC, huge difference between the two when it comes to towing our boat.

Edited by Hammertime

I tow my 21LSV with an 04 Tundra DC with the 4.7. If I towed my boat more than 4 times a year and a total of more than 10 miles, I'd get something else. Like jwl said, it does the job that is about it.

e7277ba77553b05c0e50b88ab3666baf.jpg

Edited by Levi900RR

So with the 3.73 ratio, what are your rpm's and mpg?

If you're addressing me, I get 18.5 not towing, and 12-14 when towing. I don't tow much though. My ramp is 1/4 mile from the house. On occasion when I have towed any distance to speak of, 12-14 is where it's at.

We tow our bu up and down a hill from 4000 feet to 1500 feet and our older 2500 Chevy with a 350 tbi was a dog. Several years ago we upgraded to a 2008 2500HD with a 6.0 gasser, 373 gears and 6 speed transmission. It has a custom tune, AIR-RAD air cleaner and exhaust. it pulls the hill fine with only one downshift if I really want to get home quickly. Otherwise, it will stay in 6th up the gradual climb and get 10mpg.

'98 Ram 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L. Dodges always have sucky gas mileage. I get 10 m.p.g when towing the boat but that is mostly because of the extra push I get on the downhills. I also tow two snowmobiles in a covered trailer, which is a lighter load but a lot more wind resistance. When towing that, the snowmobiles get better gas mileage and 2-stroke snowmobiles get lousy mileage.

2008 Chevy 3500HD DRW 4X4. I can pull and stop anything.

As someone else said, ALWAYS have more truck/power/stopping power than you will need. Just because a vehicle CAN pull a boat/trailer doesn't mean it SHOULD.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 2

My BIL has a 5.3 Silverado and has the same problem you do, just not enough power. When pulling his Epic 23v over steep passes he is frequently in 2nd gear at WOT just to pull the boat up the hill at 45. It's pretty pathetic for a newer rig (2010.)

I had a 2008 Tundra, leveled on 35s and it pulled great. Boat felt very small relative to the truck. Fuel mileage was pretty bad, averaged 10-11mpg while towing with elevation changes.

I tow with a 2011 X5 now. It's a bit different than towing with a pickup but I adjusted quickly. 400hp and 450tq pull reeeeeeeal nice though, that's for sure. :laugh:

04 23 XTI

Pull it with an Armada. Tows fine, gets around 12 mpg or so towing. We replaced an '04 Expedition with the 5.4, big difference, mainly due to the transmission and number of gears.

I respect the whole diesel thing, but needing one for a 21' boat, even with safety cushion it is overkill in my opinion. My parents had a '12 Duramax 3500 and I drove that a few times. If my boat were say 27 feet long and made of concrete, such a beast would be warranted. But a 21 or 23 foot ski boat? I just don't see it.

• Like 3

I pull my trailer, which happens to have a 247 on it, with my 05 Sierra 5.3L 3.42 gears :cry: It's only 3-4 miles and does gets the job done, I never go above 3k rpm. I borrow an F250 7.3L from work for long distances.

I have a 5.3L in a Buick Rainier. 3.73:1 rear end. self leveling rear. pulling the LXI, the Buick is pretty spunky. I have used it to pull the LXI a few times, have another rig that does the heavy lifting. But on flat ground, slight hills and near sea level it does fine. Not sure if I would want to pull a 247...that might be too much. I would not try pulling the LXI to Tahoe either.

Great set up w/o the boat. great acceleration, and still get 20MPG w/o trailering. Too bad the stopped making them.

Agree 100% with MU...just cause it says it'll pull, doesn't mean you should...the entire drivetrain/brakes/etc. on the 1/2 tons pulling 5-6000 # boats is not good.

Edited by happypappy

I tow with a Jeep Liberty Diesel. When towing on long distances I avg 20 mpg.

I pull at 70 mph and don't have any issues.

4.10 rear end? At 60ph he would be burning 3300 or so? I didn't do the math, but remember my K5 Blazer had high ratios. On a 4x4, do the ratios in the front and rear ends need to match?

On a 4 wheel drive, yes the ratios front and rear need to match.

Even different tire sizes will cause an issue (Discount learned this lesson on my vehicle and cost them $1400.00 and new set of tires for my hassle).

Edited by kerpluxal

I tow with a Jeep Liberty Diesel. When towing on long distances I avg 20 mpg.

I pull at 70 mph and don't have any issues.

On a 4 wheel drive, yes the ratios front and rear need to match.

Even different tire sizes will cause an issue (Discount learned this lesson on my vehicle and cost them $1400.00 and new set of tires for my hassle).

20 mpg? Is that down hill?