Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
bdenson

What are you pulling your trailer with?

bdenson

This is my first post, so let me start by thanking you guys for all of your tips and advice.

I bought my Malibu this summer and am not real happy with the way my truck pulls it. Here is my setup:

2009 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4

5.3 with the 6 speed automatic

3.42 rear end

2004 21 XTI

Tandem axle Dorsey trailer

<5000lbs loaded and with fuel

I can maintain highway speeds, but I spend quite a bit of time in 3rd gear at 3900 RPM. Average about 9 MPG.

Questions:

Is this comparable to what you guys (with 1/2 tons) are seeing? Is it just something you learn to live with?

How would a 3/4 ton gas handle this same situation? MPG?

Would the added expense of a diesel, both upfront and at the pump, average out in the end because of the better mileage?

I'm looking at the 2013 Ram 3/4 tons. Really like the Cummins.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.

post-22110-0-86402100-1381703797_thumb.j

Slayer

I would suspect it's your rear end that's causing your issues. I would think your truck would tug that thing just fine. I run a 2011 F150 XLT Supercrew Ecoboost with a 3.73 rear end. No issues whatsoever. My boat is a little lighter than yours, though.

wdr

2012 Tahoe same drive train. 2 words, gutless and uninspiring. If I didn't only tow 3/4 mile yothe ramp I would of bought a 2500 diesel. Towed 1900 miles to pick it up on a 2500 didnt know it was back there. JMO

teamerickson

Unless you keep a diesel a long time, you probably won't recoup the 10k or so price difference in fuel savings. But, it will pull better for sure. I have a 2013 sierra 1500. Does fine but the fuel economy does stink.

mrnate450r

Anybody towed with a new 2014 Chevy or GMC? The torque and hp numbers are quite a bit better, but I wonder if it would be noticable towing.

wakedncsu

I agree. It's your gear ratio. Change to 3.73 or 4.10 and you won't even know it is there. Gas mileage is going to suck either way though

bdenson

So with the 3.73 ratio, what are your rpm's and mpg?

pinner99

We have a 09 tahoe 5.3 and it is painful hauling the vlx with that!! We also have 07 cummins and it is night and day!! Once you pull with a diesel you will never go back.

UofM_MXZ

I tow with a 2012 titan. No issues at all.

teamerickson

I tow with a 2012 titan. No issues at all.

How's the mileage when towing?

UofM_MXZ

Pretty crappy. Like 13-14 mpg average. Power wise it is good. I mean obviously a diesel would tow better but I used to tow with a 5.3 Chevy and it sucked.

t a

I tow with an 08 tundra 5.7, barely know my boat is back there, if my trailer brakes worked better, i wouldnt know it was there at all...usually around 2000rpms at 65 mph. Mpg towing around 12 or 13.

Bawshogg

2012 Ford Platinum F-150 . Ecoboost Crew 6.5' bed , 3:73's. 6" RCX lift on Toyo 35's. Pulls 2012 Malibu 247 just fine. Diesel's stink, Literally.

Gear swap is in order for you.........Or a new :ford: .

I would go 4:10's. If you decide to do a gear swap, trust someone that has been through many. The change from 3:42's to 3:80 is not much of noticeable change in tow category.

Zombie

I tow with a 2006 GMC Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax Allison 6 speed with rear air bags. Truck could easily tow a tank.

Bozboat

4.10 rear end? At 60ph he would be burning 3300 or so?

I didn't do the math, but remember my K5 Blazer had high ratios.

On a 4x4, do the ratios in the front and rear ends need to match?

Edited by Bozboat

bamabonners

I had a 2011 Silverado with 5.3L, but traded after only 1.5 years because that engine was gutless. I got a 2011 Silverado with 6.2L. This truck is baaaad - 6.2 is a beast. Best truck I have owned. It pulled the LSV with ease - pulls the X2 even easier (obviously).

IMAG0048_zpscd61838f.jpg

Edited by bamabonners

built2rev

I went from this...

IMG_20130519_091138_zps5d21355d.jpg

To this!!! It is like night and day. I cant believe I waited this long to get a diesel truck. She don't even know the boat is back there

20130811_135103_zpsda744549.jpg

Durty_Curt

2008 Chevy Silverado LMM DuraMax. This thing pulls anything you put behind it, with ease, while the ac is blasting in the AZ heat!

IMG_20130629_184953_792_zps935ddb36.jpg

watch out when she's in heat though...

95facebook95178470017795_zps5cc28085.jpg

CumminsBu

2003 Ram 3500 with a Cummins 6 speed handshaker, and 2010 Honda Pilot.

ryangb

Unless you keep a diesel a long time, you probably won't recoup the 10k or so price difference in fuel savings. But, it will pull better for sure. I have a 2013 sierra 1500. Does fine but the fuel economy does stink.

You get around 8k back on resale. Used diesels are always priced much higher than the same model gasser.

To the OP, that 6.7 Cummins is an amazing engine. Tons of tourque. Also the '13 and up interiors are really nice. I would go for that if you can swing it.

nyryan2001

I tow my G23, 8500lbs or so, with a 2011 5.7L Tundra.

I'd give it an A- up to 65-70mph, I see 8-9mpg avg.

It would tow your boat with ease. I don't think you need a diesel for a 5k tow unless you are just feeling froggy for one.

If you are looking for a more apt tow rig, look at the larger V8s or the Eco.

wakebrdr94

2005 2500 hd duramax diesel. I learned early on, have enough truck for anything you will be doing

wakebrdr94

I tow my G23, 8500lbs or so, with a 2011 5.7L Tundra.

I'd give it an A- up to 65-70mph, I see 8-9mpg avg.

It would tow your boat with ease. I don't think you need a diesel for a 5k tow unless you are just feeling froggy for one.

If you are looking for a more apt tow rig, look at the larger V8s or the Eco.

You don't tow with many hills I assume?