Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller How to:

I wanted to take a peak when I first got my boat. And one of the screws sheared off with very little torque! If your boat is as old as mine (98) I suggest you go ahead and order 4 new brass screws and a new impeller just in case.

Good luck!

Salem

Edited by eyekode

Impeller pulling tools are very useful because they don't damage the pump housing or impeller. But they are pricey to buy and difficult to make on your own. You can check out www.skidim.com for prices.

One technique that works very well is to completely remove the cover plate and then squeeze in a generous amount of Dawn dish washing soap, being certain to saturate the entire impeller. I suppose you could use a brand besides Dawn if you wish. Regardless, you remove the engine safety clip to prevent the motor from firing. Then, just turn the motor over a few times and the impeller usually slips right out of place. You can then carefully grab it around the hub and pull it out with needle nose pliers. You will of course have to clean up the soap mess afterwords. But it is a very painless process that does not damage either the pump nor the impeller.

If by chance the propeller does not just slip right out of place as described above when you turn the motor over, then lightly tap the back of the pump housing with a hammer and try again. The soap trick has always worked for me.

Good luck.

If you pull it out put a new one it and keep that as a spare in your boat.

You should change it every 2 years.

I've had to help 5 or 6 friends change there impellers on the water because they shredded them.

What's everyone opinion on taking out the impeller during the winter. I'll probably use the same impeller next season. I just replaced in the spring. The boat is stored in dry stack. No freeze worry. Is it ok to leave it in?

What's everyone opinion on taking out the impeller during the winter. I'll probably use the same impeller next season. I just replaced in the spring. The boat is stored in dry stack. No freeze worry. Is it ok to leave it in?

Yes, as mentioned previously, I would recommend changing the impeller every 2 years though.

Arguably, it would be best to remove the impeller during winter storage. Leaving the same fins compressed against the pump wall for a number of months cannot be good for the impeller. Spray silicone over the impeller and put it in a zip closed plastic storage bag during the winter. Spray the inside of the pump with spray silicone and replace the cover. I zip tie the impeller (in the bag) to the steering wheel for winter storage.

Next season that impeller can be reused or used as a spare. Honestly, $40 annual maintenance for a new impeller each season is a minor cost when compared to the grief of a shredded impeller that may lead to engine damage from over heating.