Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bunks Recarpeted....Boatmate Carpet Bad Quality......Pics Included

Afun

It is what it is. The carpets that come with the Boatmate trailer are awful. I mean they dry rotted on the backside. They are thin and are a mesh/felt material. With all of the LED's and Bling they forfeited the quality on the carpets. With all of the hull chines and how heavy these boats are, how could these felt carpets be installed? I mean one bad load and they are done. Over the past month I have looked at many Boatmate trailers, every single one I see has pile burns. My guys at a local Marina "The Pointe" installed awesome carpets. Yea, the are grey...no biggie. They don't look bad at all. These carpets are very comparable to the ones on my 2004 Boatmate trailer. That 2004 trailer was awesome! This trailer has not been awesome. It was also given to me with a bad reverse solenoid.

10236820244_74f34764c8.jpg

10236820264_8e0faef06f.jpg

10236820274_93d21bd16e.jpg

Backside New Carpet

10236820354_116c55bf9d.jpg

Guess Which One Is The Cheap Crappy Carpet...

10236820384_9f740710fe.jpg

The Definition of Crap!!

10236820394_8bde23980b.jpg

Times are different. Most of the weak companies have been exposed in these turbulent times and do not exist anymore. Only the strong survive, and the strong ones are maximizing profits at all costs. Look around....have you been affected recently with some cost cutting? I have on several occasions.....this is just one example. I did get some LED lights and some nice rims. I mean the stock rims are nice enough.

Edited by Afun

Are there before pictures of the trailer? The way you load will have an affect on the bunks. Differe ramps call for different loading style. Not blaming you, just pointing out one scenario. Yes, cost cutting is everywhere. Really like the metal Malibu on the rear of my boat, it is now plastic on the newer models

he gray looks ok. the better grade of carpeting will last much longer than the OEM stuff.

Can they get away with the fact that this is "OEM Stuff".... this stuff ain't worth two cents

Can they get away with the fact that this is "OEM Stuff".... this stuff ain't worth two cents

Funny MCO...company car...I still blast Ghostland Observatory while driving it...

With or w/o the sperry's on???

I noticed you have the torsion bar axles...We had a tandem axle trailer with the same...sold it and the boat, I never had any problems, but some have...just a FYI for the future.

I was always amazed at what my company car/vehicle could pull and where it could go!

Edited by happypappy

Are there before pictures of the trailer? The way you load will have an affect on the bunks. Differe ramps call for different loading style. Not blaming you, just pointing out one scenario. Yes, cost cutting is everywhere. Really like the metal Malibu on the rear of my boat, it is now plastic on the newer models

The first thing I lost due to cost cutting (Recession) was.....Guacamole. Yes, you heard me right, GUACA..Freakin..MOLE. I liked Guacamole, but all of a sudden...it cost money to put it on the side. I am done for today...I am going wakesurfing!

I have a Boatmate bling under my G.

Came with NO brake fluid in any of the lines. Had to bring to a local tailer shop to add and bleed 2 full qts. Terrible QAQC and only luke warm customer service.

A buddy has a boat mate trailer with his new tige. Similiar story, with the carpet after one season. Plus on his the wiring is hanging below the carriage in a lot of spots because it's not properly secured.

Ok. I am not done. You should have seen all the Boatmate trailer fanboys that came out in a similiar thread. Boatmate is a Maryville, TN company and I want to see them do well. Most of these wakeboard boats leave the factory on these trailers. This is what happens when a monopoly occurs.

LUKE WARM CUSTOMER SERVICE AT BEST.

Not a fan boy, but all of my BA trailers have towed better than any other boat trailers I have owned. However, QC is poor. Paper thin bunk carpet on all of them..., you don't crimp together electrical wires on anything much less something involving safety. Wires protruding from the frame also and lastly the bunk attachment bars aren't level creating low points in the bunks. Sent from sunny Key West FL.:)

And just as a note. Every trailer company (I have a phoenix) which wasn't my ideal choice but it was what was available, have terrible customer service. You call them about an issue and of course it was your fault even if the trailer was brand new.

I keep hearing all this great stuff about Boatmate and their customer service, but I've e-mailed them twice (with months in between) asking some basic info their website doesn't list about a couple of products they sell. Sent from my Gmail account and never received a response.

From seeing the above comments, I'm not looking forward to making a call when I'm ready to buy either.

Ellis trailers were junk. I bought a brand new 2002 vlx, came on an Ellis trailer, I was buying a new trailer in 2005. Thing just fell apart. Even tried calling them and they wouldn't warranty anything, even in the first year. Replaced with an extreme and never had an issue, other than the stupid carlise's that came on them.

I think you'll get the horror stories from any manufacturer.

Ellis trailers were junk. I bought a brand new 2002 vlx, came on an Ellis trailer, I was buying a new trailer in 2005. Thing just fell apart. Even tried calling them and they wouldn't warranty anything, even in the first year. Replaced with an extreme and never had an issue, other than the stupid carlise's that came on them.

I think you'll get the horror stories from any manufacturer.

I only have experience with my 97 vette boat that is on an 97 Ellis trailer that still looks new. I don't know how their later products were but the one I have is the nicest trailer I have ever used/towed. My extreme on my 06 had a lot of issues. It is possible they had a bad product towards the end.

I keep hearing all this great stuff about Boatmate and their customer service, but I've e-mailed them twice (with months in between) asking some basic info their website doesn't list about a couple of products they sell. Sent from my Gmail account and never received a response.

From seeing the above comments, I'm not looking forward to making a call when I'm ready to buy either.

I had to get boatmate help for my single axle torsion bar boatmate trailer and the ONLY way I could get help is by email. I emailed and asked if the guy could call me so I would know i was getting precisely what I needed but NO. Email only, which I think is a cop out. If you aren't willing to talk to the consumer keeping you in business then you have a long way to go in the customer service department. For what it's worth... here ya go. .. [email protected]

Well, I would not consider myself a fanboi, but then again my exprerience with Boatmate customer service was 10+ years ago.. Maybe things change.

Back then, when you called them you did not get a secretary answering the phone promising a call back....you got Owen, I think his name is/was, and he took care of your problem....even if it was a UFP problerm, like a backuop solenoid, which Boatmate does not manufacture.

I will be more careful about singing their praises in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My boatmate is falling apart. Carpet hangs like drapes currently. Just noticed that my axle is rusting out and cracking right in the middle. I am having trouble finding an axle that will work. Hoping someone may have some suggestions. I don't think welding it is a smart choice. The trailer is 10 years old and was used in salt water (previous owner). Any help is greatly appreciated