Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change Help

The previous owner of my boat helped me winterize and do an oil change a couple weeks ago. We thought we vacuumed all the oil out but apparently not. The previous owner has always added 5 quarts to the 1991 mercruiser 5.7 ski. He did and then I checked the dip stick and it's about 1.5 quarts over. I know in the spring the filter will fill but I still think I'm over. Any damage that I should look for with an over fill even if I haven't run the engine? I'm going to vacuum the new oil out and then drop the rest through the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You're not hurting anything by leaving that extra oil in there.

The mistake you both made was not running the engine during winterize and after oil change.

You're not hurting anything by leaving that extra oil in there.

The mistake you both made was not running the engine during winterize and after oil change.

Thanks. We ran the engine first and fogged. Then changed the oil. For winterizing we drained everything and poured antifreeze through the heater core and shower lines.

I'm not trying to beat you up but, you really should have started the engine with the fresh oil in the motor.

Plus, I would have drained the shower and heater completely rather than "add antifreeze".

But, this might turn into an 8 page thread real quick with everyone's own $.02

Best of luck.

I'm not trying to beat you up but, you really should have started the engine with the fresh oil in the motor.

Plus, I would have drained the shower and heater completely rather than "add antifreeze".

Best of luck.

I just appreciate the help! Thanks again! We did blow out both the shower and heater before the antifreeze.

The previous owner of my boat helped me winterize and do an oil change a couple weeks ago. We thought we vacuumed all the oil out but apparently not. The previous owner has always added 5 quarts to the 1991 mercruiser 5.7 ski. He did and then I checked the dip stick and it's about 1.5 quarts over. I know in the spring the filter will fill but I still think I'm over. Any damage that I should look for with an over fill even if I haven't run the engine? I'm going to vacuum the new oil out and then drop the rest through the drain.

Here is my .02, a) no damage as you haven't run th engine. b) just remove some oil now, mainly so you won't forget. c) check the before and after you run the engine in the Spring and adjust oil level.

• Like 2

Here is my .02, a) no damage as you haven't run th engine. b) just remove some oil now, mainly so you won't forget. c) check the before and after you run the engine in the Spring and adjust oil level.

Thanks. Since I didn't get all the old oil out, I'm just going to eat the cost and drain and refill. I wish West Marine was open tomorrow so I could get a better vacuum pump. After I get out what I can with the pump, I'll go ahead and drop the drain plug and place garbage bags below. I'll add to the full line now and then recheck in the spring once I run it and fill the filter.

Best of luck.

I never start my motor after I change the oil. I'm not sure why you would need to since it's going to sit all winter.

You want to check all you oils when you're on the water not on the trailer.

I like to coat everything with a nice coat of new oil before I put it up for a few months. No idea if that actually happens by running it after the oil change but I do it.

OP, get one of these:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder/af/ryder/core/content/product/srm/oid/274810/erm/productDetail.do?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CMipkvfFlroCFYWd4AodwGQA0g

You'll love it.

I did not get a chance to change the oil before storage, ran out of time before the first freeze. I did change the oil in July & it has 30 hours on it. I know the motor is not going to be shot next spring, but is it just a corrosion issue at this point with old oil?

I just hope the US Government doesn't find out my boat is full of oil & decides to invade it :lol:

Will your insurance cover a drone strike, it's an act of obama not god (depending on who you ask I guess) . :blowup:

Will your insurance cover a drone strike, it's an act of obama not god (depending on who you ask I guess) . :blowup:

:rofl: Obama will step in & claim he is god & deny my claim for having a difference of opinion :whistle: