Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo questions for new Malibu owner

mike2

Hi everybody, new to the crew and was hoping to get some words of wisdom. I recently purchased a 98 Malibu Response lx pretty cheap and I am getting to ready to re-vamp the stereo in her. As of right now it is at the upholstery shop getting new skins and I wanted to get ordering everything else.

1. My biggest question is does anyone have a sub box designer they suggest?

2. I plan on a single ported 15" under the dash and wanted the best designed box for my application. As far as subs go in the past I have usually run Juggernauts and have had good luck with them in my trucks. Im not to sure about using one in the boat with my 4 kiddos splashing, poking, etc. I did come across a sub that kind of caught my attention because of the metal cone. I dont have any experience with these http://www.3kings.com/p-1220-audiopipe-txxapx15bl-15-2000w-car-audio-subwoofer-sub-2000-watt-txx-apx15bl.aspx but the price makes them very expendable ??only if they sound good??

3. I will probably drive them with a JL marine amp but any insight to using non-marine certified amps in a boat I would appreciate the input as well.

4. Lastly the boat came with the Infinity tower speaker but they are pretty much busted. I planned to place new speakers in boxes and use the same ones for the factory locations throughout the boat. If anybody has actually listened to a set please let me know about if there worth it. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18858_Infinity-Marine-612M.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp3600745&gclid=CMW_nN3rkboCFWJlMgodRlkAWg

Thanks again, Mike

Well I would not call these words of wisdom but hopefully helpful. Stereo equipment is a personal choice including what sounds good to one may sound like AM radio to another. Here is a link that shows a couple designs of boxes under the front dasth area on our 247.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36381-floor-board-sub-woofer-upgrade-simple-improvement/

Your box design, Ported will require as much cubic space obtainable as possible with a 15" driver. Depth will in my opinion be the gating item of keeping the kick panel in the original depth or having the kick panel pulled more towards the captains seat. The choice of using a JL amp we can all pretty much say thats a solid route to take. Currently we are running the Rockford T2D2 12 inch with D class 2400RMS amp and the results are wicked- the bass slap feels like a Tyson left hook. If you have a heater in the front the side tube will require clearance, but with a bit of creative shaping getting to 2+ cubic feet of box is possible.

I have not found a bass box builder that does anything other than square/rectangle shapes. so all of our boxes have been self built with 3/4" MDF, fiberglass cloth/ resin and tons of screws. The result- A sub box that slides in under the dash, bolts to the boat floor and kicks like a mule. As for the kids and exposure to the elements, we have not seen any element influence having the sub at the kick panel.

Great Luck on your project!!

Jack

Edited by JAXONBOATS

Thanks for the tips, like your setup too. I am definitely gonna build the box with all the room I can spare but ofcorse being tall doesn't help. I guess my biggest concern is port design because like you said not the usual square truck box. I need to read up on it alittle more.

I had the pleasure of playing with a great many Wakesetters when we ran the boat dealership. One of my "self proclaimed stereo expert" friends told me once, with the shape of boxes I build, I would not be doing a JL W7 any justice. Of course I laughed. I am sure there may be some truth to that but simply figured it is first a function of cubic volume before caring about how that volume of air moves.

Before this T2D2 configuration we ran a twin 12” T1 in sealed rectangle box that slide in the battery area below the glove box but regardless of how the twins were driven, it was more of a foot feeling low frequency with a thump response verses the new mule kick.

It is easy enough to make a model box that fits under the front before cutting any MDF. Great winter project- no rush.

I've got a ported 15" in my LSV and can guarantee you don't have the room for a ported 15" in a response. If you tried to fit one I there it would be undersized and you wouldn't like the results. You need 3 cu ft after all displacements, and that on the small size of the ported 15" spectrum. You could probably do a sealed 15" with 2-2.5 and be really happy. Using non marine amps in a boat is a non issue as long as they are not exposed to water getting on them. Malibu equips these boats with non marine amps from the factory and warranties them for 3 years if that's any indication for you.

Haven't picked one yet but always liked a ported sub so gonna go that route. I'm gonna go by tomorrow and check to see if my boats ready but while I'm there gonna check how much room I have. Im pretty sure under the dash flows all the way into the storage compartment with maybe a few wires and blower hoses in the way that can easily be moved. I will check and measure for sure tomorrow