Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Building a Tower for My Response LX

evanlaczi

Has anyone attempted to build a tower for their Malibu? I want to attempt to build one this winter a buddy put one on his bayliner it was ok with steel tubes. I am thinking of using a tube bender or welder. Anyone build one? Have any ideas, tips, or plans? thanks!

I'd say you need a mandrel tube bender and a tig welder at the least, I admitedly don't know much about towers, but steel seems like a bad choice, given the weight and the height that it is above the boat, plus corrosion issues, I'd stick with aluminum.

I built a tower for my old ski boat. I made it out of shed 40 aluminium tubing. After drawing out the plans in CAD I contracted out the tube bending to a local shop. I wouldn't recommend doing the bends yourself. I don't know what style tower you are going to make I had multiple compound bends in my tower and would have never been able to get it right. Would have wasted a fortune in alum pipe.

For welding I highly recommend you be a proficient welder if you are going to tackle this project.

The other big item. I made a folding tower. I bought the hinges from a local shop. If you don't have access to a good machinist your mounts will be very tricky to build or replicate. I hope this helps.

At the end of the day my tower ended up costing roughly the same price as it would have been to buy.

Pm me and I can send you photos or give you more specific answers.

I built a tower for my sunsetter using schedule 40 steel pipe, may be heavier than aluminum ones, but is very strong and relatively simple. I had the pipes bent by a shop and did the welding myself. I also built the board holders and a mirror mount. Again, it was all fairly easy fabrication, the most difficult part was the design and layout. I first mocked one up using wood, then copied with steel. I didn't have access to any design programs so that was my best idea... The total cost for mine was around $400.00 and I am very happy with it. The only draw back is being steel if the paint scratches off it will rust, if I were to do it again I would have it power coated.

Hi, new here....... Bought my Response brand new in 1996- still have it

I have built several towers including the one on my 96 Response. I do have the advantage of having a mandrel tubing bender and heli-ark machines.

They are a lot of work to build and make them look good.

found better pictures

DSC_0296_zps2d50b5ae.jpg

from Lake Powell last year.

Thanks Tom

Edited by turbocitytom

I remember when looking at boats last year and researching towers there are quite a few plans on the net. Check out this link for many that have been made http://bierbower.net/diytower/home.htm This is one of my favorites http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/375148.html?1159904404

Alloy would be my preference but you would need someone with a mandrel bender as others have said to get nice bends. I have a AC tig so welding is no problem welding the joins but a jobbing shop would be able to know them up for you.

If you go with alloy powder coating black would give the best finish as anodizing something that big will not be cheap and polishing her up will be very time consuming.

And as other have said unless you have a lathe the feet etc will need to be purchased.

Alternatively you could go the CCA treated pine option......said no one ever :lol:

t8sd.jpg

I'd say you need a mandrel tube bender and a tig welder at the least, I admitedly don't know much about towers, but steel seems like a bad choice, given the weight and the height that it is above the boat, plus corrosion issues, I'd stick with aluminum.

The old Titan III towers are Stainless Tube. The weight won't be a problem. Rust maybe.

I built this one last winter. Let me know if you need help

1374211_10202199450690328_54542842_n.jpg

I think that is the best DIY tower I have seen. I searched online for quite a while yesterday after you posted your boat looking for the mfg of this tower. :salute:

Edited by Asmodeus2112