Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Escape 23' Pricing?

jetskipro550

My friend is looking at buying his first inboard. Has a budget of roughly 25k and wants to be able to surf and do some recreational skiing. The boat below is somewhat local and we're going to look at it this weekend. Owner claims he doesn't have an hour meter, which makes determining price difficult. If the boat checks out and is nice, I told him to take it to the local dealer to find hours from the computer.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/4116273772.html

What's a fair price on this boat based on the limited info and pics in this ad?

This is a co-workers boat. I saw it last summer when it brought it into work and know that he didn't use it much. Boats in good shape could use a little cleaning and the trailer could use some TLC. And you would have to know him to truly appreciate latch key and wake plate , pretty awesome . I'm sure he will give you the run down on the history he bought it from bridge city and has barely used. He's a good guy just not as cool as all of us .... Didn't know he had listed it yet and is under priced in my opinion.

Edited by 2008vtx

This is a co-workers boat. I saw it last summer when it brought it into work and know that he didn't use it much. Boats in good shape could use a little cleaning and the trailer could use some TLC. And you would have to know him to truly appreciate latch key and wake plate , pretty awesome . I'm sure he will give you the run down on the history he bought it from bridge city and has barely used. He's a good guy just not as cool as all of us .... Didn't know he had listed it yet and is under priced in my opinion.

This is really good info for you Patrick.

And I will be sure to pass on he doesn't know squat and see if we cant get that price moved up into the mid 30s.

Edited by 2008vtx

I've been on the market for several months and have been considering LSV's of this era. Looks like the price is not too far away from a lot of the boats I've seen, granted I'm in a different part of the country. Really can vary a lot based on hours and equipment, but this boat looks like it's pretty well equipped. I might have missed it, but seller didn't list hours, do you know them?

High hours, but seems reasonable: http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4103522241.html

I like this boat, wish it had a Titan Tower: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/3987404074.html

Edited by Asmodeus2112

:lol: Sounds like I may get to meet him Sunday and check out the boat, maybe those descriptions will more sense then :)

Edited by jetskipro550

Maybe I'm wrong ? A 23ft V-drive for under 30k seems like a steal anymore. Still seems to be a very strong market in the NW right now which is crazy since my boat has been put away for 3 weeks . Just had a buddy sell his 06 VLX for 50k and was on craigslist for 2 days ! I haven't seen one in the low 20s ? But I'm also not in the market , Just trying to give a crew member a little info on a used boat that I had a bit of history on .

Any 23' Malibu built before 2004 is a very different animal, & will have an appreciably lower resale vs. an '04 & forward model.

I'm ready to have some knowledge dropped on me whenever your ready .

Edited by 2008vtx

My friend is looking at buying his first inboard. Has a budget of roughly 25k and wants to be able to surf and do some recreational skiing. The boat below is somewhat local and we're going to look at it this weekend. Owner claims he doesn't have an hour meter, which makes determining price difficult. If the boat checks out and is nice, I told him to take it to the local dealer to find hours from the computer.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/4116273772.html

What's a fair price on this boat based on the limited info and pics in this ad?

Jetskipro,

I traded my 2000 lsv ecsape in last year to the dealer for $25000 with the following options

Titan tower

defcon 3 speakers

bimini

Monsoon 320 hp 380hours

Plumbed 3 bag ballast on Jabsco

Evo Cover

Trailer

Heater

1235 acme prop

wedge

No perfect pass

Edited by Rmack

I'm ready to have some knowledge dropped on me whenever your ready .

Well, I'm a bit hesitant because owners of those boats may take offense, even if it's not meant that way. It's a Malibu & in the end it's a well built boat.

One of the big issues with those boats was an issue with Perfect Pass & how the paddle wheel had a tendency to not work well on that hull, so much so that Perfect Pass issued an adapter specifically designed for that hull. The hull design created too much turbulence & in many cases wouldn't allow a clean flow of water over the paddle wheel. It's a moot point for people willing to spend the money on a Star Gazer upgrade, but it's an issue does exist. YMMV on owners that have that problem, because it didn't exist on every boat. But as I said, it was common enough to prompt the creation of that adapter so that should tell you something about its prevalence. And this 23' hull was the only one that Malibu ever had this problem with, at least as far as hull design goes. That should also tell you something.

But really, the big thing is how much better the newer hull was. In 2004, the design on the 23' boats took an enormous step forward. We're not talking about small changes over the entire boat that add up to a nice upgrade, we're talking about a massive step forward in how much better the hull design was. That's in addition to all of the other small & somewhat large changes that they made all over the rest of the boat. Out of all of the evolutionary steps that the different models have taken over the years, I can only think of 1 or maybe 2 other models that had such a large improvement as the 23' hull change between 2003 & 2004.

• Like 2

Well, I'm a bit hesitant because owners of those boats may take offense, even if it's not meant that way. It's a Malibu & in the end it's a well built boat.

One of the big issues with those boats was an issue with Perfect Pass & how the paddle wheel had a tendency to not work well on that hull, so much so that Perfect Pass issued an adapter specifically designed for that hull. The hull design created too much turbulence & in many cases wouldn't allow a clean flow of water over the paddle wheel. It's a moot point for people willing to spend the money on a Star Gazer upgrade, but it's an issue does exist. YMMV on owners that have that problem, because it didn't exist on every boat. But as I said, it was common enough to prompt the creation of that adapter so that should tell you something about its prevalence. And this 23' hull was the only one that Malibu ever had this problem with, at least as far as hull design goes. That should also tell you something.

But really, the big thing is how much better the newer hull was. In 2004, the design on the 23' boats took an enormous step forward. We're not talking about small changes over the entire boat that add up to a nice upgrade, we're talking about a massive step forward in how much better the hull design was. That's in addition to all of the other small & somewhat large changes that they made all over the rest of the boat. Out of all of the evolutionary steps that the different models have taken over the years, I can only think of 1 or maybe 2 other models that had such a large improvement as the 23' hull change between 2003 & 2004.

What are the 1 or 2 other models that had larger improvements?

I would think an Escape 23 would be a little under $20K. A wakesetter should get you closer to $25K that year. As far as off season, good luck finding anything out there to buy. Off season does NOT mean that prices go down. In fact prices may actually go up a little as sellers have less competition in selling.

I would be more concerned with maintenance than hours. I've seen low hour boats with cracked heads and blocks because the owner never touched them and left them on the dock all winter. Those boats scare me. On the 2000 Malibu, the engine is a basic 350 chevy. The fuel injection is almost bulletproof. The v-drive is really the only big concern with mileage. As long as the fluid has been changed out yearly you should be good to go. Most modern day automatic transmissions recommend their first fluid change at 50K miles. Have you done that to your car yet? That is the equiv of about 1000 hours. I'm suggesting changing your fluid every 100 hours. If you look in the owner's garage and they've got an old pristine muscle car or Harley then they probably are mechanically inclined and baby their boat as well. Yes, I've got a pristine muscle car in my garage:)

What are the 1 or 2 other models that had larger improvements?

I'm not sure that I would say larger, but these 2 would be in the argument IMO. The '97-'98 change in the Response (non-diamond hull to diamond) & probably the '94 non-SV23 Sunsetter to the '95 SV23 Sunsetter. Those would be my 2 to add to what I laid out on the change in the 23' hull from '03-'04. Everything else IMO (new models don't count) went from good to better, but the changes in the actual hulls weren't the huge leaps forward that we saw in those 3 instances. Again, IMO.

Simo,

PP can be reset or may be inaccurate if it was installed later (which is a good possibility). They would need to check the log on the engine for the actual hours, that's where the real data will be.

I would think an Escape 23 would be a little under $20K. A wakesetter should get you closer to $25K that year. As far as off season, good luck finding anything out there to buy. Off season does NOT mean that prices go down. In fact prices may actually go up a little as sellers have less competition in selling.

I would be more concerned with maintenance than hours. I've seen low hour boats with cracked heads and blocks because the owner never touched them and left them on the dock all winter. Those boats scare me. On the 2000 Malibu, the engine is a basic 350 chevy. The fuel injection is almost bulletproof. The v-drive is really the only big concern with mileage. As long as the fluid has been changed out yearly you should be good to go. Most modern day automatic transmissions recommend their first fluid change at 50K miles. Have you done that to your car yet? That is the equiv of about 1000 hours. I'm suggesting changing your fluid every 100 hours. If you look in the owner's garage and they've got an old pristine muscle car or Harley then they probably are mechanically inclined and baby their boat as well. Yes, I've got a pristine muscle car in my garage:)

I agree you should be more concerned about maintenance than hours, but I wouldn't be overly concerned with the v-drive. Yes, most of us change fluids at least annually, but even semi-regular changes on that v-drive and it is probably still solid. And, keep in mind there is both a v-drive and a transmission in these - fluids need to be changed in both.

Checked out the boat this weekend. It was fairly rough and needs a professional detailing along with wetsand and buff. Some rust in engine area, damage to trailer, fender aftermarket tower on factory legs (not same color), old speaker wire holes not filled, some tears in vinyl, nothing too major but along with no cover or ballast I wouldn't pay more then 20k for it.

For someone who can invision it cleaned up and whos got the time/skill to fix all the little issues...assuming they can get it for a good price and it's mechanically sound it would be a good deal at 20k knowing that it's going to take a least a few grand to get it up to par.

Next boat to look at is a B-52 this Friday...

MB Sports

A lot of those boats came with either a checkered flag or flames on the sides. I never cared for either one. A decent wakeboarding boat though.

Funny you mention that...this one has the checker pattern on the sides towards the back :lol: